Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2007
Posts: 492
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 13:19
Personally, I think the Iceland M-trek trip sounds the best. I've heard from people Iceland is a REALLY fun place to go out, and the trip also has many adventure-type activities.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 13:30
anu1979 wrote:

I think the Israel trip is really good value for the money-it's the longest and I think the ticket prices they quoted are a little inflated because I would probably fly out of the East Coast rather than trekking to Detroit and flying out of there. But for that one I'd prefer to get to Israel a few days early and go see Petra. It seems like a shame not to get that in if I'm in the area-but again, that would depend on convincing some other people to go with me because my mom would take to her bed in some Victorian fashion if I tried to sashay my way around Israel alone.



HA. And that brings up another point - I assume we meet at our destination rather than prior? So I guess if you play your cards right, you could do your solo travel early and then meet up with your M-Trek. Interesting...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 13:43
Yeah, unlike the Booth pre-enrollment trips, you're not expected to be on the same plane. I guess because people have points they want to use for tickets and such. So you can go ahead of time and then meet up with the trekkers on the assigned date.

If I did the Spain trip, I'd probably fly into Madrid, see Toledo-Cordoba-Seville, then fly up to Barcelona. But on the whole, I think of Europe as the type of destination I'd be more willing to do when I am beautiful-dirty-rich and wearing orthopaedic shoes.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 14:54
Does anyone know how big of a deal it is if you decide not to do an Mtrek? I have some conflicts with all of the dates associated with the Mtreks and so I don't think I'll be able to make it. At the same time I don't want to show up on day one and find that everyone already knows each other because of the Mtrek experience. This might not be the right forum since everyone on here is a new admit but thought I throw the question out there and see what the responses are.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 37
Schools: Ross (CGSM Fellow), Wash U Olin R2, Kelley R2, Tepper R2, Marshall R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 15:35
There are no local-meets near me, but I'll be at GBR for sure. Does anyone know if public transportation is used by many Ross students. Is it dependable? Do most people, drive, walk, bike or bus to class normally? I'd love to justify getting a shinny new bicycle.

Housing question? - Anyone know which housing option seems to offer the most peace and quiet within a reasonable commute? I'm not begging to live near a bunch of loud party goers?


Just a side question, I noticed that the Ross building has a fitness center, is that available to all students, or is there a fee. What's the deal? Looks pretty interesting.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 16:44
What2Do15 wrote:
it dependable? Do most people, drive, walk, bike or bus to class normally? I'd love to justify getting a shinny new bicycle.

Housing question? - Anyone know which housing option seems to offer the most peace and quiet within a reasonable commute


I've heard that public transportation isn't the most reliable. I'm planning to live within walking/biking distance, but far enough away from the undergrads.... I was hoping to make it there to look at some options before GBR, but I'm not sure how realistic a goal that is.

As for the fitness center - I saw it on my tour, and it's small but very nice. I'm 99% sure they said it was free, but if there's a fee it's negligible enough that I forgot about it.




goblue1221 wrote:
Does anyone know how big of a deal it is if you decide not to do an Mtrek? I have some conflicts with all of the dates associated with the Mtreks and so I don't think I'll be able to make it. At the same time I don't want to show up on day one and find that everyone already knows each other because of the Mtrek experience. This might not be the right forum since everyone on here is a new admit but thought I throw the question out there and see what the responses are.


I've read that only about 50% of the students do M-Treks, so I wouldn't worry. It sounds awesome, but I know that time and money are issues for all of us.... that said, it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 17:37
What2Do15 wrote:
There are no local-meets near me, but I'll be at GBR for sure. Does anyone know if public transportation is used by many Ross students. Is it dependable? Do most people, drive, walk, bike or bus to class normally? I'd love to justify getting a shinny new bicycle.

Housing question? - Anyone know which housing option seems to offer the most peace and quiet within a reasonable commute? I'm not begging to live near a bunch of loud party goers?


Just a side question, I noticed that the Ross building has a fitness center, is that available to all students, or is there a fee. What's the deal? Looks pretty interesting.


Ann Arbor is supposed to be well-connected by bus but my position is that I have no intention of standing around in the winter waiting for a bus. I'd rather spend that time trudging home.

My goal is to find an apartment within close enough walking distance that still has some of the amenities I now consider necessities. Chiefly, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. Woodbury Gardens looks perfect in terms of amenities but I've read that it isn't really a walkable path to school even though it's only 1.5 miles away. Current Ann Arbor residents on the Google Group seem to be recommending Kerrytown-from some basic searches, the apartments in that area do seem really nice. I've also been looking on Craigslist and it seems like there are some listings for condos about a mile away from the business school that look pretty nice.

goblue1221 wrote:
Does anyone know how big of a deal it is if you decide not to do an Mtrek? I have some conflicts with all of the dates associated with the Mtreks and so I don't think I'll be able to make it. At the same time I don't want to show up on day one and find that everyone already knows each other because of the Mtrek experience. This might not be the right forum since everyone on here is a new admit but thought I throw the question out there and see what the responses are.


I don't think M-Trek will leave you out of the loop as they have that pre-curriculum Ross Leadership Initiative program. Personally, I'm spending the summer catching up on quantitative subjects, losing my gmat/application season pudge and other non-fun activities, so I'm gifting myself an M-Trek because I relinquished my previous travel plans to spend the summer learning advanced calculus.

Edited because I think LEAD is for Booth.

Last edited by anu1979 on 12 Mar 2010, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 20:38
I'm thinking of Woodbury Gardens. I've decided to do GBR. Since it's getting pretty cheap to fly out of LA.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 08:08
anu1979 wrote:

My goal is to find an apartment within close enough walking distance that still has some of the amenities I now consider necessities. Chiefly, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. Woodbury Gardens looks perfect in terms of amenities but I've read that it isn't really a walkable path to school even though it's only 1.5 miles away. Current Ann Arbor residents on the Google Group seem to be recommending Kerrytown-from some basic searches, the apartments in that area do seem really nice. I've also been looking on Craigslist and it seems like there are some listings for condos about a mile away from the business school that look pretty nice.




IF you want something closer to school you can look at nob hill apartments. it's pretty close to school, althought you still need to cut through part of the school. 0.9 miles. one of the recommendations I read was from a graduate student who liked it because it was just far enough to be away from the UG students yet close to campus. They don't allow dogs, so that's not an option for me.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 10:26
GoBruins wrote:
anu1979 wrote:

My goal is to find an apartment within close enough walking distance that still has some of the amenities I now consider necessities. Chiefly, a dishwasher and a garbage disposal. Woodbury Gardens looks perfect in terms of amenities but I've read that it isn't really a walkable path to school even though it's only 1.5 miles away. Current Ann Arbor residents on the Google Group seem to be recommending Kerrytown-from some basic searches, the apartments in that area do seem really nice. I've also been looking on Craigslist and it seems like there are some listings for condos about a mile away from the business school that look pretty nice.




IF you want something closer to school you can look at nob hill apartments. it's pretty close to school, althought you still need to cut through part of the school. 0.9 miles. one of the recommendations I read was from a graduate student who liked it because it was just far enough to be away from the UG students yet close to campus. They don't allow dogs, so that's not an option for me.


I looked at those apartments but from what I could see, they didn't seem to have dishwashers and garbage disposals. That pretty much crosses them off my list-I'm a neat freak and I don't like to do dishes.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2010, 15:23
Funny. Being Chinese, my family doesn't use a dish washer. Except as a storage rack for dishes. I am the only person in my extended family that's ever even turned on a dish washer.

I think Chinese feel it's not clean.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 685
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 19:09
conmisdosmanos wrote:
I have to decide how extravagant I'm feeling (or maybe how much I can literally afford...). I'm looking at South Africa, Thailand/Laos (I wish there were more Asia options also, but I think this one sounds most interesting), Iceland (if I can actually get back into shape). My cheap options are Puerto Rico and Croatia.


Hey, I'm really leaning towards South Africa. With the safaris and everything, it sounds really awesome! The only thing is that it's a bit on the steep side price-wise. Also, like a previous poster said, my mom's already throwing a fit about it. My second choice is Israel, which my mom is also not too crazy about.

As far as housing is concerned, does anyone know if Ross has resources to help people find places? I've heard about a few places through the message boards and friends who went to Michigan. Does Ross have some kind of process in place for finding roommates who are also Ross students, or would I just have to do it the old-fashioned way and chat up people during admit events?

I think I may end up going to GBR after all and do some apartment-hunting while I'm there.
_________________

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 20:56
milias wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:
I have to decide how extravagant I'm feeling (or maybe how much I can literally afford...). I'm looking at South Africa, Thailand/Laos (I wish there were more Asia options also, but I think this one sounds most interesting), Iceland (if I can actually get back into shape). My cheap options are Puerto Rico and Croatia.


Hey, I'm really leaning towards South Africa. With the safaris and everything, it sounds really awesome! The only thing is that it's a bit on the steep side price-wise. Also, like a previous poster said, my mom's already throwing a fit about it. My second choice is Israel, which my mom is also not too crazy about.

As far as housing is concerned, does anyone know if Ross has resources to help people find places? I've heard about a few places through the message boards and friends who went to Michigan. Does Ross have some kind of process in place for finding roommates who are also Ross students, or would I just have to do it the old-fashioned way and chat up people during admit events?

I think I may end up going to GBR after all and do some apartment-hunting while I'm there.


Mexico for me!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 124
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 22:49
@milias
List of some of the apartments:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... BALive.htm

These are some questions for existing students or other gurus:
How did people go about the roommate search? I'm a bit torn about living alone or living with a roommate... Also I heard that parking close to campus is a pain -> where do people with cars usually live?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 124
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 05:26
conmisdosmanos wrote:
As for the fitness center - I saw it on my tour, and it's small but very nice. I'm 99% sure they said it was free, but if there's a fee it's negligible enough that I forgot about it.


Its $100 per semester... I believe its only open to ppl affiliated with the Ross school.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 685
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 05:31
sharmar wrote:
@milias
List of some of the apartments:
http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... BALive.htm

These are some questions for existing students or other gurus:
How did people go about the roommate search? I'm a bit torn about living alone or living with a roommate... Also I heard that parking close to campus is a pain -> where do people with cars usually live?


Awesome, thanks!

I'm also considering going to Iceland for the M-Trek, since their economy tanked, and stuff's probably pretty cheap over there.
_________________

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 124
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 08:19
May 1st is the deadline for the deposit I think. I haven't heard from Cornell yet so I think I'm going to just do Ross and pay the deposit.

I'm thinking Iceland or Chile for the M-trek...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 09:18
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 685
Schools: Ross 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 09:38
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Milias - A friend of mine was recently making a killing buying designer clothes in Iceland, dirt cheap, and reselling them in the States. I also just watched No Reservations Iceland - not sure about eating fermented fish or jellied sheep testicles, but the rest looked amazing.... But I'm not sure I can pass up the safari opportunity. Elephants! And Iceland is hard to think about in Chicago in March.


Designer clothes, eh? Interesting. If the trip can pay for itself, then all the better! Yea, I've always wanted to go to Africa since I was a little kid, so it would be very hard to pass up on. I think I'll always have opportunities to go to Europe, but I think South Africa would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

conmisdosmanos wrote:
And an unrelated question - did you guys get any sort of confirmation from Ross after turning in your FAFSA? I did mine 2 months ago and haven't heard anything. Not even a confirmation that they received it. I'm wondering how long to wait until I start bugging the financial aid office. They said March...


I turned in my FAFSA form on 2/28, I think, right before the 3/1 deadline for the state of Michigan. Then I got a package (not from Ross) saying that it's missing some information. Guess I'll need to do my taxes first before filling out the "missing" information.
_________________

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jan 2010
Posts: 122
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 17

Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 11:25
conmisdosmanos wrote:
milias wrote:

Does anybody know when we have to actually start making decisions?


And an unrelated question - did you guys get any sort of confirmation from Ross after turning in your FAFSA? I did mine 2 months ago and haven't heard anything. Not even a confirmation that they received it. I'm wondering how long to wait until I start bugging the financial aid office. They said March...


We're supposed to register in April, according to the website, so I'm guessing when you put down a deposit you have to sign up for a particular trip/rank them at that time.

I got something on Friday but it was a message saying they want proof of citizenship from me before they finish processing. I'm not surprised since I wasn't born in the US and I declared my dual citizenship on the application. I had to finally create my uniqname (the actual umich ID, not the one to get the decision, that expires once you pay your deposit, which I've done) to be able to access my account to figure out what they wanted. Other than that, I haven't received anything, but it looks like they are definitely working on things.
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2010, 11:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
28 ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 GoBruin 193 11 Mar 2010, 08:25
4 Admitted to Michigan(Ross) Class of 2014 mamup 65 11 Jan 2012, 22:55
8 Admitted to Ross Class of 2013 Thread tigerbeck 39 08 Mar 2011, 19:26
ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 GoBruin 0 11 Mar 2010, 08:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10    Next  [ 194 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.