Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
Re: ADMITTED ROSS CLASS 2012 [#permalink]
Kudos
I'll be going to the local meet-up thing for Ross admits in Boston. Not sure about GBR, though.

By the way, what's the attire for the local meet-ups? Business casual?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [1]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
congrats everyone! i didn't see this thread, so posted something on the other one about gbr and housing.

but one thing i must advocate is MTrek. about 40-50% go, maybe more. that's half the class and it certainly does feel like more than half goes. but the reason to go is not because you'll feel left out of friendships, but that you'll miss an amazing opportunity to form amazing friendships.

i cannot emphasize how amazingly awesome my trip was - both the trip itself as well as getting to bond with a wonderful group of people. you will not have the same experience during RLI or any other experience on campus. i formed close friendships with my MTrek group and we continue to be great friends. this is true of most of the other treks as well, though i'm biased towards mine :-D.

you really can't form the same bonds as you do during class, group projects, etc. and you may not even meet some of these folks if you were not to go on an mtrek simply because you're in a class of 500 and take classes your first year with the same group of 80 people. i have worked with some of my mtrek mates in group and club settings and if i hadn't met them during the mtrek, i'm fairly certain i would not have gotten to know them so well, or maybe even at all. another plug for mtreks is that you'll quickly get sucked into your sections and having friends from mtreks gives you a different group of friends and people you know.

go on an mtrek! if it's a financial concern, the extra thousand or so is just a drop in the bucket compared with the rest of your time at ross. this is *totally* worth the investment. it's about the friendships you'll form.

also, go for trip you would never do on your own or takes you down the beaten path. you have winter and spring breaks to go on spring break type trips (we just had spring break and folks went to PR, colombia, cabo, hawaii to name a few) but the opportunity to visit a remote destination with a self-selecting group of amazing individuals is priceless, perhaps even once-in-a-lifetime. hiking through the jungle, camping on a quiet beach, waking up for the sunrise, dancing to a stereo in a small village - these are all great shared moments that let you get to know others on such a deeper level. mtreks are absolutely worth it. no doubt.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [1]
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
What2Do15 wrote:
There are no local-meets near me, but I'll be at GBR for sure. Does anyone know if public transportation is used by many Ross students. Is it dependable? Do most people, drive, walk, bike or bus to class normally? I'd love to justify getting a shinny new bicycle.

Housing question? - Anyone know which housing option seems to offer the most peace and quiet within a reasonable commute? I'm not begging to live near a bunch of loud party goers?

Just a side question, I noticed that the Ross building has a fitness center, is that available to all students, or is there a fee. What's the deal? Looks pretty interesting.

there's a mix of bikers, walkers, and drivers though most people do not drive to campus. i used the bus during the winter and it is super reliable, sometimes even early! with the google maps on the iphone, you can also look up exactly when the bus is coming so you're not just waiting in the cold. i never wait more than 5-8 minutes for the bus. usually, it's 2-5 minutes, but that's because i head out when the bus is supposed to come.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:
Awesome, thanks!

I'm also considering going to Iceland for the M-Trek, since their economy tanked, and stuff's probably pretty cheap over there.

Thanks, Sharmar! I think that my tour guide mentioned that partners, etc. had access to the gym as well.

Milias - A friend of mine was recently making a killing buying designer clothes in Iceland, dirt cheap, and reselling them in the States. I also just watched No Reservations Iceland - not sure about eating fermented fish or jellied sheep testicles, but the rest looked amazing.... But I'm not sure I can pass up the safari opportunity. Elephants! And Iceland is hard to think about in Chicago in March.

Does anybody know when we have to actually start making decisions?

And an unrelated question - did you guys get any sort of confirmation from Ross after turning in your FAFSA? I did mine 2 months ago and haven't heard anything. Not even a confirmation that they received it. I'm wondering how long to wait until I start bugging the financial aid office. They said March...
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
anu1979 wrote:

The other trip I was thinking about was Madagascar. But to be honest, I'm very afraid of flying and I'm not so sure about what type of plane they're taking from South Africa to Nosy Be (OCD flare up).

Since you asked. EgyptAir fleet is relatively young with an average aircraft age of 5.2 years.

Fleet consist of your standard
Airbus A320/A321/A330
Boeing B737/B777

Flight from Cairo to Johannesburg South Africa will be A330 on Egypt Air.

The other option for the same route is South Africa Air (SAA) consist of A319/A330/A340's and B737/B747 (Although they are retiring both 747's in their fleet) Average age is 5.0 Years.

The last accident on Wiki is 1987.

End Public Announcement...
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:
One of my recommenders (not for Ross) just came to my office to congratulate me. Turns out that he also went to U of M for grad school. Who knew!

My boss went to the law school. When I told her, she yelled "Go Blue!" and gave me this really awkward straight-armed double shoulder pat that I think was meant to be a hug.

My financial award isn't up yet. I got an estimate when I asked, though. Maxed out in all loan categories, wohoo!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Ha, I decided I couldn't possibly write another personal statement and just banged out whatever blabber was in my head. I sincerely hope it doesn't become a part of some icebreaker or something awful like that.

On the good side, they partnered me with a student host from the exact career path I'm interested in, and I'm super excited about it.

When did you hear from your student guide? I haven't been contacted for anything related to GBR except for my registration details.

Also, I had no idea that the unique statement was supposed to be serious. I said I was one of the few unicorns in Los Angeles taking public transportation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Ross R2
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Kudos
Perhaps a little OT, but relevant for the Class of 2012

Thursday, March 18, 2010
Michigan schedules 2011 night game
By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com

For the first time in team history, Michigan will host a night football game at Michigan Stadium when it welcomes rival Notre Dame on Sept. 10, 2011.

New Michigan athletics director David Brandon made the historic scheduling announcement Thursday afternoon in Ann Arbor.

The 2011 game will kick off at 8 p.m. ET and be televised by ESPN or ESPN2.

"This will be an unprecedented game day atmosphere that our fans have not experienced at Michigan Stadium," Brandon said in a statement. "It's a great opportunity to showcase our program, university and Ann Arbor to a primetime viewing audience. This also adds a new chapter to the storied rivalry between our two great programs."

Head football coach Rich Rodriguez has wanted to enhance the atmosphere at Michigan Stadium, which is undergoing a major renovation that will be completed for the start of the 2010 season. Michigan's administration had opposed night games in previous years.

"Our players have always enjoyed playing night games and I think it's something that our fans will truly enjoy and embrace," Rodriguez said in a statement. "I expect the atmosphere will be electric for this match-up at the Big House."

Michigan and Notre Dame played three night games in a nine-year span, all at Notre Dame. The final night game was played in 1990, with Notre Dame winning 28-24.

Michigan owns a 22-11 all-time record in primetime games.
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:

I was half-tempted to write that I've gotten into only 10 accidents since moving to the East Coast - none of which were my fault obviously - up from only 2 in the Midwest. That and I moved 5 times in the last 5 years. Then I decided against it.

Man, you're a bad driver.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
yeah... i was wondering if I was the only one....

Speaking about driving... last year I paid $1500 in speeding tickets...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Hmm, I qualified for subsidized loans, which makes me think i filled out my fafsa incorrectly.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yes.... I got my admit packet this saturday and in it there was a decent fellowship offer... So needless to say I will be at A2 this fall...

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, even though the airport is only a 20-30 minute drive getting there can be expensive. There are a number of ways:
1. Get a friend to take you
2. Park your car there. I do this for weekend trips. One of the "off airport" lots is $11/day and has a buy one day get one free coupon.
3. Michigan Flyer which as you mentioned is pretty cheap. However, I've never done it because it leaves from where a lot of the hotels are near Briarwood which isn't very convenient.
4. Shuttles: There are a number of shuttles (like Super Shuttle) that do door to door service and pick up others on the way to the airport. These run about $40 each way for one person and go down per person the more people you have going from one location.
5. Air Bus: This is an option during university wide holidays only. Basically Michigan runs a bus from central campus to and from the airport during the most popular times to leave. Cost is about $8 each way. They will sell out on popular days/times and you have to physically go to the Union to buy a ticket. But if its the right time for you the price is great. I did this when leaving for Spring Break.
6. Taxi: This is the most convenient but most expensive. Generally around $60 each way.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
conmisdosmanos wrote:
paulymba wrote:
anyone know how we purchase tickets for yhe upcoming season? Is It a lottery process? Or are mbas guaranteed seats?

There's a section about it in the admit binder, but I'll admit I didn't read it vary carefully. Pretty sure there are no guarantees.

As long as you sign up for the MBA1 group tickets in time, you'll get season tickets. The seats kind of suck, though. Hope you guys will have better teams to root for than we did.
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
coakleym wrote:

You'll have some groceries. Some peanut butter, to last a couple of days.

Why go to college?! Why go to b-school? Gonna be different this time??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
So I'm about 90% set on Woodbury Gardens and have made an appointment on Friday. I have a couple of other appointments a bit closer to school (that I found off Craigslist) but the washer/dryer/dishwasher/disposal convenience + 20 month lease + 50% rent during the first summer have more or less sold me. I know from experience that subletting over the summer is pretty difficult, so I'd rather take the 50% discount and just call it a day. Also, I figure the proximity to school is undercut by the lack of conveniences at home. The downside is that I will be cutting it very, very close to the Room and Board budget in my financial aid.

How's everyone's house hunt going?
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:
Has anyone had any luck finding a pre-MBA internship? No luck here so far.

I found one, but it's pretty, um, atypical... I'm going to be working part-time on a farm for a couple of months this summer. :lol:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts