Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Status: On the battlefield of applications, savoring each day
Schools: Owen '14 (A)
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 23:10
Hi Alex,

I am an Indian applicant and have applied to a few schools this year for my MBA and have secured an admission to SMU Cox school of business in Dallas, Texas.
below is my profile in brief:
GMAT- 710/5
Exp: 5Yrs by June '11
Industry - IT (Software Development - Senior Software Engineer at an US MNC)
Ecs: Volunteer with an NGO in Edu domain, Theatre is a passion so involved in it too in one or the other way. Also was an editor for a magazine for one of the local theatre events.
I wanted to move into Media and Entertainment domain after my MBA and hence applied to UCLA, USC and cornell. And then some schools where I wud be more competitive such as Kelley, SMU Cox, Schulich Canada.
Now the issue is I have been rejected from the top three and I have been offered a place at SMU. Though regionally the school seems to have a good repute, nationally/internationally it seems to lag far behind. I wanted to start my MBA this year itself because I feel more stuck in this profile. But lately after researching more in the internet, i am not feeling so sure.
Since my background is not in Media/Entertainment I know that getting in would be a bit tough, so I want to work in Consulting ( Specifically concentrating in media domain) and with a long term goal of becoming a Media Entrepreneur.
In that respect I feel that I should atleast have a better brand in my Kitty ( Don't know how true is this).
It would be great if you could guide me whether waiting one more year i can make into may be better programs in US.

Thanks
iAqua4
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 23:25
Hei there

I don't know about your application status for Schulich Canada. If you got admitted by Schulich. I think it might help with your career goal (being an entrepreneur in Entertament & Media sector) since Schulich enjoys a strong international reputaion in teaching corporate strategy and business consultance. So, I would like to sugguest you pledge your despit for your current offer at hand and wait to see if there was any updates for Schulich.

Could tell me when did you submit your on-line application and when was your documents arrived for Schulich MBA?

Best Regards
David
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 08:37
If you really wanted to work in media/entertainment, I'm not sure why you applied to schools like Cox, Cornell, Kelley or Schulich.

The key with getting a job in entertainment is networking -- it's even more important than in other industries. And this is irrespective of how good your MBA program is.

And you know that the entertainment/media industry hubs are in Los Angeles (film, tv production) and New York (music, publishing, news). So you have a huge advantage living and studying in these cities -- you probably would've been better off applying to local schools like Pepperdine or even Santa Monica College in addition to UCLA and USC, while applying to some of the New York schools.

I'm sure you could get a media/entertainment job out of Cox, but be prepared to rack up frequent flier miles.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 03:18
Alex,

I wanted to start my MBA this year itself particularly because I will complete 5yrs of work ex. before I start MBA and my age being 28. So though I do want to get into Media/Entertainment, I believe not all schools can actually get you into a good position in M&E. so UCLA, USC and NYU and couple of them Near to NYC, may be good. So i applied to both.

And I was also open for a position in consulting post MBA so I applied to schools where I felt more competitive. SMU Cox being in Dallas region - a major financial hub, I was attracted to it and I applied.
Now though I do have an admit, when I researched, I find that employment is more or less Texas oriented and it might not be known in other US regions (unlike McCombs,USC, Indiana Kelley or UNC, Emory).
So I am not feeling so sure whether I should go ahead this year or should apply in the first round next year and get into one of above 4 in brackets.

So my concern arises with the question that, i will get a job in Dallas region but post that will i be able to move around in other regions if in a few years i plan to shift to any other firm in west or east cost.

Please advice.
Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge
Re: Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 03:55
And to add to this..I will be 29 by fall 2012, with 6yrs exp. Is this going to be advantage/disadvantage for an international when applying to US schools?
What do you think of my competitiveness in the above schools listed?
It would be great if you could also suggest some other schools where you think I would be more competitive.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2011, 07:17
Best bet right now would be to just go to Cox then.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Re: Admitted to a regionally strong school but not feeling sure   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2011, 07:17