Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2011 Thread [#permalink]
1) Say I wanna learn Spanish during my MBA. Are there any ways/classes/groups at Booth for this (or other foreign languages)? How does it work? Do many students learn foreign language during their MBA?

You can take classes from other schools (though at a limited number) I know an Argentinian who-s planning to take Portuguese for Spanish Speakers, so you have here an idea.

2) Apart from “normal” internship between 1st and 2nd year, is there possibility to have one more internship I manage to find one (e.g. Jun-Jul/Aug “normal” internship, Aug-Sep/Oct or maybe in a winter break another)? Is it doable?

It is, I know some people who took 2 internships, but some of them lost 1 or even 2 weeks of classes. One specific person I know well, took an internship with sales and trading in NYC and later PE in South America, but he needed a VERY GOOD history to convince both parts, he received an offer from the NYC firm, but last time I spoke to him he is heading to a HF.

3) What’s your view on pre-MBA internship? Does anybody do it?

It's not very common, honestly I've heard about few cases, internship during MBA is more common - Rhyme is one example.

4) Housing: do any students live in “dormitories” (i.e. campus housing) that Booth offers? I always thought that this is the best way to bond, but somehow have an impression that everybody rents something independently.

Yes, I know people living at the International House, though I don't know if it is only for internationals, but hey, if you share an apartment you will pay around $1000 at most, I'm not living in one building where tons of students go and I'm paying around 25% less than usually students do.

5) Does Booth do any sort of verification (e.g. Wharton does Kroll, Stanford does something over the summer)? Not that I have anything to hide, but just wanna know.

Yes. It was very smooth though, I think they call randomly recommenders, firms and etc. You will have to sign a document allowing Booth to make this verification.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kwam - also big thanks to you!

BTW, my general observation is that Booth students are extremely responsive (even if you look at this Forum - post and immediately 2 great answers). But more importantly, Booth Administration is the best ever. My experiences/observations so far: queries re application - immediate replies; issues with on-line application - solved within 1 day; processing of documents in on-line app - within a day after documents arrived; Christmas break - AdCom works and hosts a chat to help R2 applicants; R2 deadline - Rose posts a message that AdCom is there for the candidates and will be replying to emails/calls, etc. Overall - amazing customer service. Overall - very impressive.

Originally posted by garbus222 on 08 Jan 2009, 20:26.
Last edited by garbus222 on 08 Jan 2009, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I'm thinking of setting up an admit-weekend thursday night unofficial dinner / drink event - ideally pulling some of last years gmatclubbers in - anyone interested?

I think I can make it, my flight lands at midway around 630pm.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
rhyme wrote:
Also,

I'm thinking of setting up an admit-weekend thursday night unofficial dinner / drink event - ideally pulling some of last years gmatclubbers in - anyone interested?

I'll be around, and my husband and I will be up for dinner and/or drinks. Any insight about partners events? Should he even bother?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I am going to try hard to make it in March. My parents fly in on Saturday, so if I leave Sunday, I'm only missing 1.5 days with them. I'm gonna try to make this happen. Oh, and the wife is coming along too!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Also,

I think I can make it. Planning reaching Chicago in late afternoon - around 4 or so...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
garbus222, I forgot one thing, there is also a non official program in which students help one another with languages, so if you know a language you "teach" this language to somebody (I believe is more for practices purposes actually) and another student teach you the language you're interested at. I want to learn German - though I am waiting to see if I will need French next summer, is so I will learn French - and I may talk to some people from German Speaking countries to practice later. I'm talking as much in Spanish as I can to the Latin people - besides Brazil - this way my Spanish is not as rusty as it would be if I haven't practiced. Just bear in mind that the MBA is time demanding and learning a new language is also time demanding, especially in our age, but if you're like me who likes languages you will enjoy the MBA experience.

rhyme, I'm in for the dinner.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
 Q49  V44
Send PM
kwam wrote:
garbus222, I forgot one thing, there is also a non official program in which students help one another with languages, so if you know a language you "teach" this language to somebody (I believe is more for practices purposes actually) and another student teach you the language you're interested at.

Ok! Who wants to learn Hungarian? I will trade for German or Italian. :)
Current Student
Send PM
What time are you all planning to fly home on Sunday? Man, these trips out to Chicago are starting to get expensive! I'm taking on my MBA debt load early, it seems.
Given Kudos:
MeddlingKid wrote:
What time are you all planning to fly home on Sunday? Man, these trips out to Chicago are starting to get expensive! I'm taking on my MBA debt load early, it seems.

My flight is in the morning - prices weren't too bad, I just wish I could get a direct flight.
Current Student
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

My flight is in the morning - prices weren't too bad, I just wish I could get a direct flight.

So Booth doesn't have any activities planned for Sunday? You can't get a direct flight? Where are you headed?
Given Kudos:
MeddlingKid wrote:
jlola21 wrote:
MeddlingKid wrote:

So Booth doesn't have any activities planned for Sunday? You can't get a direct flight? Where are you headed?

They do, but I wanted to get home in the late afternoon. I'm headed from DC.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Anyone know when the official agenda for Admit Weekend is coming out?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Those of you interested in dinner, do me a favour, PM me your email addys - I'll start a conversation off the board so we can coordinate location etc.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
I've got 2 people so far listed. Others, PM me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
I've got 2 people so far listed. Others, PM me.

PM sent.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That's great! Thanks kwam. I think it's very effective yet inexpensive way of learning new languages. Great to know!

kwam wrote:
garbus222, I forgot one thing, there is also a non official program in which students help one another with languages, so if you know a language you "teach" this language to somebody (I believe is more for practices purposes actually) and another student teach you the language you're interested at. I want to learn German - though I am waiting to see if I will need French next summer, is so I will learn French - and I may talk to some people from German Speaking countries to practice later. I'm talking as much in Spanish as I can to the Latin people - besides Brazil - this way my Spanish is not as rusty as it would be if I haven't practiced. Just bear in mind that the MBA is time demanding and learning a new language is also time demanding, especially in our age, but if you're like me who likes languages you will enjoy the MBA experience.

rhyme, I'm in for the dinner.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  25