Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 14:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Kellogg, Harvard, Wharton/Lauder, Booth (admitted with $$)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 06:22
excited to meet everyone this fall!

Last edited by hoping2010 on 25 Apr 2010, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 08:32
I was wondering when everyone was planning on leaving there job?

Once you are admitted, it doesn't really matter right? I have heard some people are leaving now and taking the summer off and others are working until right before classes.

They don't care when they do the background check do they?

Any information as to when you are planning to leave your job / what Booth's policy is would be greatly appreciated...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 21:00
Hey everyone - congrats on your acceptance to Booth! I hope you all decide to enroll, as a current 2nd year I envy the position you all are in, having an opportunity to start a 2 year journey at Booth rather than wind down.

I'd like to throw in a plug for the South Loop, one of the up and coming neighborhoods in Downtown that has more and more Boothies from each new class, is less expensive than the downtown area, and - most importantly - has some neighborhood charm. Its also slightly closer to Hyde Park so your commute time will be lower. There are a couple large high-rise apartments where Booth students live (1212 S. Michigan, 1130 S. Michigan, Sky55) and several condos with units for rent.

If you have any questions about housing and Booth in general feel free to PM me...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 11:59
How does financial aid work at Booth? is it just merit based scholarships and that's it? I sent my FAFSA in, but is there any chance to receive anything? Or do you just have to get a bunch of private loans?

oh my i am so clueless!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth ($$$) , Sloan, Kellogg, Wharton
WE 1: Commercial Banking
WE 2: Computer Hardware
WE 3: MRO

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 12:13
mbasc2010 wrote:
How does financial aid work at Booth? is it just merit based scholarships and that's it? I sent my FAFSA in, but is there any chance to receive anything? Or do you just have to get a bunch of private loans?

oh my i am so clueless!

I know that the admitted students website says there are no need-based grants issued, but they do plan on issuing government loans (Stafford, Plus, etc). Because of the recent legislative overhaul on student loans that was packaged with the Health Care bill, they haven't put anything out yet. I spoke with my admissions counselor and she said they plan on having financial packages sent out on April 19.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 15:31
Any idea when we might hear this loan announcement for International students?
Current Student
Schools: Booth-Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 11:31
When I visited the school I was told that the terms for loans for international will be published soon (that was 2 weeks ago). In any case, they told me that the rates will be more attractive than last year (although that is easy!).
On an unrelated topic, does somebody know when Booth background check will start? earlier/later than June?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2010, 10:41
Less than 4 months before we start our Random Walks! :shock:
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 08 May 2010, 16:53
I've got a quick question on the fellowship/scholarship selection process. From the Admit website, the process sound pretty black-boxy to me. Just out of curiosity, does the "before MBA salary" affect your chance for fellowship/scholarship?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 01:15
spectator2012 wrote:
I've got a quick question on the fellowship/scholarship selection process. From the Admit website, the process sound pretty black-boxy to me. Just out of curiosity, does the "before MBA salary" affect your chance for fellowship/scholarship?

The selection process is even more black-boxy than you think. Booth does not consider need for almost all its fellowships. I would not worry about my pre-MBA salary

Last edited by tdave on 09 May 2010, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 09 May 2010, 03:23
Re above - I would say salary plays no part. Merit and fit seem to be the key components.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 19:11
n8jg4s202 wrote:

I just realized that I have a really important engagement that week. Would it be really bad if I missed RW?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 19:53
bonethugnhominy wrote:
n8jg4s202 wrote:

I just realized that I have a really important engagement that week. Would it be really bad if I missed RW?

the biggest advantage of RW seems to be that it gives me 10-15 people, including second-years, who could become your best friends for two years. so, missing it may or may not be a big deal, depending on your personality
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 22:14
bonethugnhominy.
Most current students highly recommended random walks as you get to form easy friendships. My section leader was talking about how random walk teams have lunch meets/dinners etc, and you may feel left out of that cozy group hug feeling. That being said, you could perhaps make friendships outside of random walks like casual meet-ups arranged through google groups or facebook. Or just by pm/chatting on gmatclub (shameless plug).
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 11:48
I got the call yesterday, and it really didn't sink in until this morning. I can't wait to get to Chicago! The caller mentioned that I should be getting an email with log-in information for the admitted student's page, but I never got the email. Will this be included in the package being mailed? Hopefully I'll be able to get back in touch to get the email resent this afternoon.
Intern
Intern
Schools: H/S/W/Tuck/Booth
WE 1: 6 years Consulting

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 13:07
Same here JCTPlus, I got the call yesterday too. I am still waiting for the email, but the status has been updated on the application page. Let me know when/if you receive the email. Also did you ask them about financial aid? I was so excited I forgot to ask, but I guess if I had been given $$$, they would have mentioned it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 12 May 2010, 16:23
Not long after I posted I got an email with the log in information for the admitted student's page. I haven't seen or heard anything regarding financial aid. I am doubtful that I got anything in round 3.
Manager
Manager

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 11:25
Does anyone know what the gym situation is at Booth?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 16 May 2010, 19:26
There are two gyms on the primary campus - there's the new fancy one on 55th/56th near ellis that has a magnificent dual olympic size pool, 2 floors of gym space, basketball courts, and a rotunda for cardio equipment, as well as a lot of hardcore wall of squat/bench racks for the heavy stuff.

There's also the old gym on 57th near woodlawn, which has a large quarter mile indoor track, and is sometimes better because it's less populated.

Gym is DEFINITELY well done at u of c.
Manager
Manager

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 04:11
masscool wrote:
There are two gyms on the primary campus - there's the new fancy one on 55th/56th near ellis that has a magnificent dual olympic size pool, 2 floors of gym space, basketball courts, and a rotunda for cardio equipment, as well as a lot of hardcore wall of squat/bench racks for the heavy stuff.

There's also the old gym on 57th near woodlawn, which has a large quarter mile indoor track, and is sometimes better because it's less populated.

Gym is DEFINITELY well done at u of c.

Hmm.. Impressive facilities is a plus, but neither of those looks close to Booth or where I intend to live.
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread   [#permalink] 17 May 2010, 04:11