Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth 2012
WE 1: Fixed Income IB/Trading
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 04:25
Hehe. Sorry but I can't help but chuckle to that response. The two gyms are on campus and most students have the fortunate gift of two legs. I'm not sure where you went to college, or if you expect a butler at booth to make you a latte every morning, but that's a really funny statement - "so why didn't you go to booth? Your career was going too well, you got into HBS with $$$? What could it be?" "well - the gym was too far from my accounting class, I just can't deal with that!"

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 07:30
masscool wrote:
Hehe. Sorry but I can't help but chuckle to that response. The two gyms are on campus and most students have the fortunate gift of two legs. I'm not sure where you went to college, or if you expect a butler at booth to make you a latte every morning, but that's a really funny statement - "so why didn't you go to booth? Your career was going too well, you got into HBS with $$$? What could it be?" "well - the gym was too far from my accounting class, I just can't deal with that!"

Hah, I knew it was a ridiculous point, but I despise walking through slush more than anything else in life. It's not a deciding factor in which school to attend, but it may be a deciding factor in where I'll end up living.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 17:38
bonethugnhominy wrote:
masscool wrote:

Hah, I knew it was a ridiculous point, but I despise walking through slush more than anything else in life. It's not a deciding factor in which school to attend, but it may be a deciding factor in where I'll end up living.

Your building will probably have a gym but if you require advanced fitness equipment, you can choose to live @ Hyde Park close to campus. If you don't like walking through slush, you might want limit your school options to the West Coast or other warm climes. You really can't completely avoid slush in Chicago even if you drive everywhere.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago, Yale, UCLA, Duke (Withdrawn), Stanford, Berkeley

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 17:43
tdave wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:
masscool wrote:

Your building will probably have a gym but if you require advanced fitness equipment, you can choose to live @ Hyde Park close to campus. If you don't like walking through slush, you might want limit your school options to the West Coast or other warm climes. You really can't completely avoid slush in Chicago even if you drive everywhere.

It's a trade-off. As one might infer from my profile, it was certainly a big consideration for me. But I love Booth's curriculum, and can deal with the slush as long as I take measures to mitigate it.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2010, 17:52
My theory is that I don't hate slush yet only because I am yet to experience slush.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth ($$$) , Sloan, Kellogg, Wharton
WE 1: Commercial Banking
WE 2: Computer Hardware
WE 3: MRO

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 13:05
bonethugnhominy wrote:

Your building will probably have a gym but if you require advanced fitness equipment, you can choose to live @ Hyde Park close to campus. If you don't like walking through slush, you might want limit your school options to the West Coast or other warm climes. You really can't completely avoid slush in Chicago even if you drive everywhere.[/quote]

It's a trade-off. As one might infer from my profile, it was certainly a big consideration for me. But I love Booth's curriculum, and can deal with the slush as long as I take measures to mitigate it.[/quote]

As a Chicago-lifer, I can tell you that one good pair of boots will eliminate any concern you have for slush. I don't even think about it anymore...I'll wade through anything and come out bone dry.

So yeah, invest in Boots and come to Booth!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 13:07
wushu2280 wrote:
bonethugnhominy wrote:

It's a trade-off. As one might infer from my profile, it was certainly a big consideration for me. But I love Booth's curriculum, and can deal with the slush as long as I take measures to mitigate it.[/quote]

As a Chicago-lifer, I can tell you that one good pair of boots will eliminate any concern you have for slush. I don't even think about it anymore...I'll wade through anything and come out bone dry.

So yeah, invest in Boots and come to Booth![/quote]

So do you carry the boots around in your bag? I don't intend to have a car @ Booth and I am not sure I like the idea of logging around heavy boots all winter. Of course, this is a none-issue for Chicagoans with cars.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 20 May 2010, 13:34
tdave wrote:
So do you carry the boots around in your bag? I don't intend to have a car @ Booth and I am not sure I like the idea of logging around heavy boots all winter. Of course, this is a none-issue for Chicagoans with cars.

I don't carry the boots around in my bag. Actually, I'm imagining that I'll wear them on my feel while outdoors and carry my normal shoes in my bag. I'll take off the boots and put them in my locker (I believe all students get one) once I get indoors.

But you know what does suck about this? If other people have the same idea, sometimes you will step in wet spots on the carpet. Your socks will have a wet spot on them, and now you are talking about MY pet peeve...I HATE wet socks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 13:44
Hey all,
recently got onto this site and am finding it pretty helpful.
One quick question that I have yet to see noted in the applicant /accepted blog. (It may be there but I only did a quick skim of the last few pages so i apologize if this has been asked)

Does anyone know how difficult it is to have a dog in Chicago / while attending Booth?
I have a dog and am considering bringing him but given the first quarter's apparent hectic schedule it may just be easier to leave him with the parents.
Are there groups in the Lakeshore East area that provide dog walking services within that community?

Thanks a ton. Reading this site for the first time makes going to Booth all the more exciting
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 07:26
Booth2010STL wrote:
Hey all,
recently got onto this site and am finding it pretty helpful.
One quick question that I have yet to see noted in the applicant /accepted blog. (It may be there but I only did a quick skim of the last few pages so i apologize if this has been asked)

Does anyone know how difficult it is to have a dog in Chicago / while attending Booth?
I have a dog and am considering bringing him but given the first quarter's apparent hectic schedule it may just be easier to leave him with the parents.
Are there groups in the Lakeshore East area that provide dog walking services within that community?

Thanks a ton. Reading this site for the first time makes going to Booth all the more exciting

Well, I have a dog and I refuse to give him up. I know there are a bunch of students who have a pooch as well. I'm not sure about the LakeShore East dog walking services, but I do know that the buildings in lakeshore east have breed and size restrictions (I think they are capped at 40 lbs).

I don't think it will be too hectic to have a dog while at school, but I guess that depends on you and your dog.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admit after R1 waitlist), Wharton (R2 ding), Harvard (R2 ding), Darden (R2 waitlist), McCombs (ding after waitlist)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2010, 06:57
Did anyone else have issues logging into the admitted student's website this weekend? When I try to log in, I just get a blank log in page again when I click log in.

Never mind, it works on my old lap top. Must be some sort of setting issue on my new one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1513 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 03:26
For total disaster days (e.g. 4 ft of snow, mile long walk): http://www.overshoe.com/

For slushy days while trekking in a suit and tie so you dont destroy those nice leather shoes you have, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TINGLEYS%C2%AE-St ... B001O50E60

There are many such products (that one is a bit ugly), I can't remember who makes mine, but its a form fitting slip that you can barely see... works great for getting to campus from your car in a suit without worrying about the slush. As an added bonus its thin and flexible so its very easy to take off and throw into a backpack.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 05:01
More momentum added:
http://www.chicagobooth.edu/news/2010-0 ... quown.aspx

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 10:03
Mo Money Mo Mentum!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Schools: Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 10:26
My first post on the admitted forum!!!! Can't wait to see all of you this autumn. Has the R3 admit weekend already been held?
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 19

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 06:36
robertrdzak wrote:
My first post on the admitted forum!!!! Can't wait to see all of you this autumn. Has the R3 admit weekend already been held?

Yayyy. Congrats!

There are only 2 admit weekends and they are long gone. Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 06:40
I don't believe there is an R3 admit weekend.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 22:25
The "passport" photos that we're to mail in for the student directory - ideally, should one wear professional dress for these, i.e. jacket/tie for a dude? What exactly are they used for?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 22:48
booof1042 wrote:
The "passport" photos that we're to mail in for the student directory - ideally, should one wear professional dress for these, i.e. jacket/tie for a dude? What exactly are they used for?

Oops! I totally forgot about those!
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 02:04
I think it's for an internal facebook.

I don't think you should wear a suit, but don't have a picture of you at a party either.

A polo and a smile sound about right.
Re: Admitted to Chicago Booth Class of 2012 Full-time MBA Thread   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2010, 02:04