Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Chicago GSB and Kellogg PT programs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Admitted to Chicago GSB and Kellogg PT programs [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2006, 03:13
All,

After 10 months, my quest to get into a top MBA program has come to an end - I have been accepted to both Chicago GSB (weekend) and Kellogg part-time programs.

First I would like to thank each and everyone in the gmatclub forum for contributing to my success - by answering my questions, by challenging my assumptions, by stimulating my thought process and above all by inspiring me to succeed. This forum is by far THE BEST thing that happened to me in the past 10 months. I hope I can give back to this forum all that I have gained in the past few months.

I would like to share my profile and lessons learnt during my application process, hoping it will help future applicants.

28 yrs old, Indian
5.5 yrs exp / Management Consulting
Masters from Virginia Tech (GPA 3.2)/ Bachelors from India (GPA 3.8)
Considerable leadership exp at work and school
Above average extra-curricular / community activities
GMAT 650 (v34,Q46)

Lesson 1: GMAT score is not everything
I am sure many people have told this but I am repeating again - GMAT score is not everything. My score was little bit on the lower side for both Chicago and Kellogg (especially Kellogg). But I made a promise to myself that I would do really well in other parts of the application. A great score always helps, but does not ensure admission.

Lesson 2: Essays are the heart of the application
I am not sure how many out there would agree with me, but I strongly feel essays are the heart of the application (kinda like a screenplay to a movie). They bring together everything and can explain everything from why you are the best candidate out there to why your GPA / GMAT score sucks? I put in hundreds of hours writing and rewriting every essay. Make sure your essays are specific to the school (for Chicago stress your analytical skills, for Kellogg stress your team work skills). Rule of thumb for the time committment - X hrs for school 1 essays, 0.4X - 0.5X hrs for every other school. Couple of pointers 1) make it unique (the beginning, the ending, the body, everything). Choose a set of themes that you want to collectively address in the 4-5 essays per school. Choose themes that address the perceived weaknesses of your job - for example as a Management consultant people think I am very analytical but not much of managerial exp or creativity. So I chose creativity as a theme. 2) have more than one person critique it 3) have someone who is admitted to the school you are applying critique it, they always provide a very different perspective.

Lesson 3: Recommendation letters DO matter
One good thing I did was to give my recommenders a draft of my essays and my application strategy (skills I am trying to bring out). So my recommenders were able to lend credibility to my story. Another thing I found out was (although some schools might deny this) schools love recommendation letter from their alumni. It adds more value. So find out an alumni and begin networking. I was lucky to get a great set of recommenders who went above and beyond to help me out.

Lesson 4: Complete your essays before the interview
The most important thing about the interviews - DO NOT interview until you have a fairly good draft of your essays because they ask the same question in the interviews. I get a feeling that in the interviews all they are trying to assess is how you potray yourself as a person / how likable you are as a stranger. I chose not to submit my applications until after the interview is over, primarily b'cos I wanted to make some final changes to essays based on the interview. This strategy did work out well for me.

Thats all from the top of my head. If I think of anything else, I will post it. Thanks again for all your help and please let me know how I could be of help.

Regards,
Subbu[/u]
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 05:29
Hello Subbu,

This is wonderful inspirational story and congradulations for your success after putting all the hardwork you have mentioned.

I am also in the haunt for MBA. Currently preparing for GMAT. I have MS degree and have been working in a major software company for about 8 years.

While I will have lots and lots of questions, some of the details you have added in the forum were right to the point and that clarified several questions.

What other schools did you consider? Any schools in the northeast?

I am interested in part-time with cohorts program, and preferably which have fixed time for MBA completion, like Broad. Do you happen to know any other schools with similar programs?

Thanks and wish you the best with your plans.

gmat - plan to take in oct 2007 ( expected score - 690 - 730 )
goal - career switch to investment banking
experience - 9 years , software dev, team lead, project management, hiring.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2006, 12:33
Gmat_2007,

I considered only three schools - Kellogg, Chicago and Stern. There are other PT programs in the northeast but nothing that caught my interest. I considered Smith but dropped it after I got into Chicago. I have numerous friends at Kellogg and Chicago and am attracted to the rigor and credibility of these programs. Most of the schools offer a cohort system, except Chicago.

Rgds,
Subbu
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 17:46
Conratulations on getting admitted to PT programs. I am also considering PT at Chicago & NYU Stern. When you applied to them, which documents were required from the employer's side? I mean, besides recommendation letters is there any additional document required from the employer's end?

Thanks.

Gotta keep tryin. Cuz I can`t afford to give up !

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 19:39
Nope. None.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2006, 22:11
WWWhat !! Unbelievable ! (I mean, I believe what you said is true. But the fact that Chicago GSB or NYU Stern does not consider any other letters besides same standard application package for FT programs is ''unbelievable''. Thank you so much. Your response has taken off a great burden off my mind.

Does this also mean that I can apply to FT AND PT programs at Chicago GSB and NYU Stern using same essay questions?

Regards,

Gotta keep tryin. Cuz I can`t afford to give up !

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 09:46
Thanks Subbu.

Did you hear from Stern?

I am sending my offficial scores to Sern and Chicago GSB, but I'd much prefer Stern due to its proximity to where I live.

Whats your take on Fordham? Does it come in the same league as Stern/Chicago ?

My choices are limited to Stern, Fordham and Boston College at the moment. Any suggestions to widen this list with good schols arond NY, MA , PA would be very helpful.

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 14:33
I did get dinged by Stern. Once I got accepted by Chicago, I kind of took it light for Stern which would have contributed to my results. Applying on the deadline did not help either.

If you are in the north east, you must consider Tepper too. Sorry I am not too familiar with fordham.

Rgds
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2006, 19:12
Interesting point about Stern. Since they use rolling admission process, it is good to apply early. ( http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/lang ... app_review )

Did they give you any reason for their decision?

A friend of mine got rejected from Tuck, but for him the admissions office called, explaining why they rejected ( his GMAT is 700, and for his profile - Indian, male, 30 something, engineering background, about 6 yrs experience, the average GMAT was at 760 at for his profile.. so he was below average for Tuck . They didn't find him stand out from the application pool from point of essays, GMAT, GPA).

Thanks for the suggestion on Tepper.

[#permalink] 14 Aug 2006, 19:12