Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Columbia Business School: Class of 2013 [#permalink]
Moss wrote:
globalcitizen wrote:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how long the Kroll check takes? I just faxed in my form yesterday.

I feel like this is the LAST obstacle to matriculation! Can't wait to become "official" and rid myself of all admission-related worries once and for all!

I just submitted my stuff for that on Monday. Not sure how long it takes.

Actually there is one other "big" hurdle: the manditory pre-MBA coursework. At Columbia Connect Mary gave us a "Scared Straight"-style breakdown of the seriousness behind the pre-MBA coursework. I guess we get two chances at the final test and if we either don't do it or blow it... we don't get to matriculate. Don't blow this one off guys & gals!

They might give you a hard time, but I highly doubt they will take back your admission offer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Send PM
CBSoverBOOTH wrote:
Moss wrote:
globalcitizen wrote:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how long the Kroll check takes? I just faxed in my form yesterday.

I feel like this is the LAST obstacle to matriculation! Can't wait to become "official" and rid myself of all admission-related worries once and for all!

I just submitted my stuff for that on Monday. Not sure how long it takes.

Actually there is one other "big" hurdle: the manditory pre-MBA coursework. At Columbia Connect Mary gave us a "Scared Straight"-style breakdown of the seriousness behind the pre-MBA coursework. I guess we get two chances at the final test and if we either don't do it or blow it... we don't get to matriculate. Don't blow this one off guys & gals!

They might give you a hard time, but I highly doubt they will take back your admission offer.

Mary explicitly said that "every year" she has to deny matriculation to someone who either didn't do it or failed it. Maybe she's bluffing, but she seemed pretty convincing to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GPA: 3.37
Send PM
Moss wrote:

Mary explicitly said that "every year" she has to deny matriculation to someone who either didn't do it or failed it. Maybe she's bluffing, but she seemed pretty convincing to me.

My guess is that these courses aren't terribly challenging, but they have to set a certain standard for base knowledge that folks have before starting the program. As long as people do it right, it's probably not THAT hard to pass these tests, you just gotta put in the effort.

And I agree with Moss, Mary meant business. At one point she said, "Spouses come and go, but CBS is forever." And she was dead serious.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
cidneymba2011 wrote:
Mary meant business. At one point she said, "Spouses come and go, but CBS is forever." And she was dead serious.

Well Mary sounds like a lovely person doesn't she? Maybe you have to get a tattoo of Alma Mater on your calf as part of the pre-matriculation tests.

Somehow I think this is a combination of kool aid and scare tactics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Send PM
cidneymba2011 wrote:
At one point she said, "Spouses come and go, but CBS is forever." And she was dead serious.

That's kind of insulting... I have a feeling she has a chip on her shoulder from her personal experiences. A better phrase would've been "jobs come and go" because the MBA degree is directly related to your career anyway.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
neildiamond wrote:
cidneymba2011 wrote:
At one point she said, "Spouses come and go, but CBS is forever." And she was dead serious.

That's kind of insulting... I have a feeling she has a chip on her shoulder from her personal experiences. A better phrase would've been "jobs come and go" because the MBA degree is directly related to your career anyway.

Mary took me and my wife out to lunch, and she was extremely pleasant. This sounds like she had to be joking about the spouses thing. CBS is great, but an MBA doesn't define you, how you lead your life does.

As far as the difficulty of these classes go, I was told that you have forever to complete it, so its is just a matter of effort. I have a feeling doing all that Fin Aid paperwork was the worst hurdle.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Look what I found with a google search: https://ci.columbia.edu/ci/premba_test/c0332/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CBSoverBOOTH wrote:
neildiamond wrote:
cidneymba2011 wrote:

Mary took me and my wife out to lunch, and she was extremely pleasant. This sounds like she had to be joking about the spouses thing. CBS is great, but an MBA doesn't define you, how you lead your life does.

As far as the difficulty of these classes go, I was told that you have forever to complete it, so its is just a matter of effort. I have a feeling doing all that Fin Aid paperwork was the worst hurdle.

Don't get me wrong, I think Mary is wonderful person and frankly I admire her passion in the work that she does for Columbia.

While I joke about what she said in her closing remarks at Connect, I definitely see that the root of her message was more to say simply -- the next two years that we have with Columbia has the potential to change our lives forever. Each person is different on how they will take advantage of what the school has to offer, but overall, this experience can shape our futures in a very profound way, both professionally and personally.

Yup, I drank the kool aid big time and I'm not afraid to admit it :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Send PM
I thought that was Dean Ziv rather than Mary that said the thing about spouses "coming and going." It was a part of a broader discussion in trying to pitch people on coming to CBS over other schools. He was illustrating that the choice of business school we make puts us into a lifetime network we can't change or leave -- where we get our MBA is set in stone. I think he used the marriage analogy as something that appears permanent but is actually not necessarily more "forever" than your choice of MBA in order to articulate the gravity of the decision. The point of the analogy was "choose wisely."

I had a few discussions with Mary that weekend and she's great. It was almost a let-down that we'll probably have dramatically less contact with her post-matriculation.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Moss wrote:
I thought that was Dean Ziv rather than Mary that said the thing about spouses "coming and going." It was a part of a broader discussion in trying to pitch people on coming to CBS over other schools. He was illustrating that the choice of business school we make puts us into a lifetime network we can't change or leave -- where we get our MBA is set in stone. I think he used the marriage analogy as something that appears permanent but is actually not necessarily more "forever" than your choice of MBA in order to articulate the gravity of the decision. The point of the analogy was "choose wisely."

I had a few discussions with Mary that weekend and she's great. It was almost a let-down that we'll probably have dramatically less contact with her post-matriculation.

How ironic considering part of the reason I chose CBS over Booth was because it made life easier for my spouse...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Columbia 2013 (accepted)
 Q48  V41
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)
Send PM
Guys,

Anyone know when we have access to pre-MBA courses? I believe I saw mid-May somewhere...I also think I saw it takes 40 hrs to complete, on average. Don't stress, I'm sure given even a bit of effort everyone passes. The guy that failed probably tried clicking through at the airport on the way to NYC for orientation.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jackhrobbins wrote:
Guys,

Anyone know when we have access to pre-MBA courses? I believe I saw mid-May somewhere...I also think I saw it takes 40 hrs to complete, on average. Don't stress, I'm sure given even a bit of effort everyone passes. The guy that failed probably tried clicking through at the airport on the way to NYC for orientation.

Posted from my mobile device

Admitted site says that we will receive an email approximately three to four months before on-campus Orientation indicating that we have been enrolled in the Program. So yea, I guess that's April or May.

Not so much of a problem for people that are going to be stateside/working for most of the time before school, but might be more of a challenge for those who are going to be traveling from April through till right before orientation. Though, the idea of being in Thailand or Barcelona working on statistics or finance online courses is actually a lot cooler than the lame little coffee shop I'll be at in Seattle....
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia (enrolling), Booth (admitted), Kellogg (admitted), NYU (withdrawn)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3 yrs IM
Send PM
neildiamond wrote:
cidneymba2011 wrote:

It was a very tongue in cheek remark. Mary's very warm and friendly. She simply meant that our two years at Columbia will remain with us forever and help shape who we are, and our future actions and achievements will also reflect upon and be associated with Columbia.

Relax guys. Your spouses are forever too :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Oh, so Mary means it is like that hot girl I dated for a couple of years that turned psycho after a while. I have never forgotten her, or her frequent friending (and apparent unfriending) on facebook over the following five years.

I think this is a really bad choice of comparison. Maybe you can tell.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am scared of Mary...she is nice but could ruin my life with the click of a mouse.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Brand Management
Schools:CBS Class of 2013
 Q45  V44
GPA: 2.9
Send PM
Laptop question - I own a Macbook Pro and I was wondering if it's better to get a PC for school? Thoughts? I am thinking maybe it's better compatible and maybe it's better that I get used to using Excel on the PC and not Mac....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos