Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2015 [#permalink]
austinacmes wrote:

I am looking for a Female roommate. Doesn't seem like you are. lol. But just to be sure?

Yea, I'm a dude. Didn't realize I made it that obvious though, haha.
Director
Director
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
yeah seems like it, but I figured that was how most places worked. (Seems to be the norm in Boston and NYC).

Makes sense for urban areas where space is at a premium. During my adventures in San Diego, CA, Camarillo, CA, Tempe, AZ, and Virginia Beach, VA, 2 bed, 2 bath is the norm. Damn you Ithaca, for trying to pass yourself off as a major city.
Director
Director
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
yeah seems like it, but I figured that was how most places worked. (Seems to be the norm in Boston and NYC).

Makes sense for urban areas where space is at a premium. During my adventures in San Diego, CA, Camarillo, CA, Tempe, AZ, and Virginia Beach, VA, 2 bed, 2 bath is the norm. Damn you Ithaca, for trying to pass yourself off as a major city.

Ah good call, although in Austin, TX I was also in a 2bed 1bath. On a related note, I hope Ithaca's rental fees aren't a crazy as Boston/NYC asking for up to 4xrent at signing (1st, last, full security, and full realitor fee)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Looks like they're staying busy over spring break; got my loan award materials from the financial aid office this morning.
Director
Director
Send PM
aakhan wrote:
Looks like they're staying busy over spring break; got my loan award materials from the financial aid office this morning.

Same here, boooo school is expensive!

I'm thinking a combo of stafford and private (variable). The GradPLUS loans are a bit crazy... 7.9% fixed rate with a 4.2% origination fee... Crazy
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
aakhan wrote:

I'm thinking a combo of stafford and private (variable). The GradPLUS loans are a bit crazy... 7.9% fixed rate with a 4.2% origination fee... Crazy

Yea, seriously. I'm regretting all my grubhub-facilated feasting over the past several years, going to be living bread-and-cheese style in Ithaca.

I'm doing exactly what the aid office advised against: quitting at the beginning of April and travelling for 3 months. Need to look into private options myself and have everything sorted out before that. + housing. Stressful times.
Director
Director
Send PM
aakhan wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
aakhan wrote:

Yea, seriously. I'm regretting all my grubhub-facilated feasting over the past several years, going to be living bread-and-cheese style in Ithaca.

I'm doing exactly what the aid office advised against: quitting at the beginning of April and travelling for 3 months. Need to look into private options myself and have everything sorted out before that. + housing. Stressful times.

My official last day is July 12th, might even stay until the 19th... But, yeah... I'm planning on going out to dinner 4 times over the next week and a half (its restaurant week!) and have some other crazy expenses coming up. I need to get my crap together too
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
aakhan wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
aakhan wrote:

Haha, I'm doing the same thing with no regrets. I'm going to put together a monthly budget for the next few months and then a new one for school. Respecting that every person's situation is different and assuming one can afford it, when else will someone on this track get this much (worry-free) time for some meaningful soul-searching? I'll be picking up some of the textbooks for some of the core courses and doing some self-teaching. Cornell's pretty transparent on the core on the New Student's website.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
akc1400 wrote:

Haha, I'm doing the same thing with no regrets. I'm going to put together a monthly budget for the next few months and then a new one for school. Respecting that every person's situation is different and assuming one can afford it, when else will someone on this track get this much (worry-free) time for some meaningful soul-searching. I'll be picking up some of the textbooks for some of the core courses and doing some self-teaching. Cornell's pretty transparent on the core on the New Student's website.

Yea, exactly my line of thought. Quitting April 10th, flying to Destination Johnson an unburdened man.

Any major plans for the time off? I'll be stuffing my face across Southeast Asia for most of it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
aakhan wrote:
akc1400 wrote:

Haha, I'm doing the same thing with no regrets. I'm going to put together a monthly budget for the next few months and then a new one for school. Respecting that every person's situation is different and assuming one can afford it, when else will someone on this track get this much (worry-free) time for some meaningful soul-searching. I'll be picking up some of the textbooks for some of the core courses and doing some self-teaching. Cornell's pretty transparent on the core on the New Student's website.

Yea, exactly my line of thought. Quitting April 10th, flying to Destination Johnson an unburdened man.

Any major plans for the time off? I'll be stuffing my face across south east Asia for most of it.

Awesome, your own Destination SE Asia. Me? While I love traveling, I have difficulty sitting down and planning anything. That said, my last day in the office is tomorrow. I'm off to India the day after to visit family for a few weeks but back in time for DJ. Then, I'm negotiating the time between GA (family) and CT (gf) with miscellaneous trips to see friends Cali, Seattle, and hopefully elsewhere. I'm thinking ambitiously about the self-teaching bit though we'll see if that works out/pays off.
Director
Director
Send PM
well.... I'm glad I'll be sharing a classroom with you guys. I'll be living vicariously through you. While I'll be visiting friends on the west coast and the south this summer, and have a few weddings I have to go to around the country I wont be doing anything that exciting.

You'll come to class with stories about southeast asia, and I'll come in with stories about that great bar my coworkers and I went to after work on thursdays...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
well.... I'm glad I'll be sharing a classroom with you guys. I'll be living vicariously through you. While I'll be visiting friends on the west coast and the south this summer, and have a few weddings I have to go to around the country I wont be doing anything that exciting.

You'll come to class with stories about east asia, and I'll come in with stories about that great bar my coworkers and I went to after work on thursdays...

Haha, I'm looking forward to it. PM me if you're in Atlanta at any point so we can throw back a few.
Director
Director
Send PM
Dammitt - CBS Sportsline is blocked at work so I can't watch basketball.

My last day of work is officially May 3. From there I'm trying to work a trip to Germany (space "Available" flight = free, military perk, don't hate :P ), the obligatory Vegas trip, then Beijing in early June. No man should have an empty passport.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:

My last day of work is officially May 3. From there I'm trying to work a trip to Germany (space "Available" flight = free, military perk, don't hate :P ), the obligatory Vegas trip, then Beijing in early June. No man should have an empty passport.

Excellent travel plan and adage.

The guy across from me brought his ipad to the office, connected to our wifi and has the tourney on in his right peripheral. Good man.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:

You'll come to class with stories about southeast asia, and I'll come in with stories about that great bar my coworkers and I went to after work on thursdays...

Haha, same **** with different scenery. I’ll just be travelling a little further to the bar.

CobraKai wrote:

That’s a pretty excellent perk. I’m getting to Beijing in late June myself, maybe you could share some tips after your trip.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Got my financial aid stuff today, it covers pretty much all of my tuition, but that 7-8% plus origination fee is a killer. Thinking about saving my pennies and paying out of pocket (which I can barely do if I live cheap). Any advice to do that or instead take out like 50k in loans and just pay it back when I have a full time job?

I want to quit like others on here as soon as possible and travel a bit. Never been to Europe, would like to do that. The gf wants to get to the carribean at some point, want to do that. Seattle would be cool as well and I have a friend who is going there soon. The fiscally responsible person that got me to b-school is saying "stay at work until July. Try and make it to July 4th cause its a paid day off and so is July 5th." The rest of me just wants to quit now. Damn my conscience.

Also, the rent stuff is freaking me out too. Also need to find a roommate to split some costs. Hopefully I figure some of it out at DJ.

Anyone else bringing someone with them to DJ? I am bringing the gf, but I feel its kind of weird cause she isnt the wife so Im not sure how welcome she is to the JVLP stuff. I asked Christine S about and she said bring whomever, just was curious if anyone else is bringing someone they arent married to.
Director
Director
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Got my financial aid stuff today, it covers pretty much all of my tuition, but that 7-8% plus origination fee is a killer. Thinking about saving my pennies and paying out of pocket (which I can barely do if I live cheap). Any advice to do that or instead take out like 50k in loans and just pay it back when I have a full time job?

I want to quit like others on here as soon as possible and travel a bit. Never been to Europe, would like to do that. The gf wants to get to the carribean at some point, want to do that. Seattle would be cool as well and I have a friend who is going there soon. The fiscally responsible person that got me to b-school is saying "stay at work until July. Try and make it to July 4th cause its a paid day off and so is July 5th." The rest of me just wants to quit now. Damn my conscience.

Also, the rent stuff is freaking me out too. Also need to find a roommate to split some costs. Hopefully I figure some of it out at DJ.

Anyone else bringing someone with them to DJ? I am bringing the gf, but I feel its kind of weird cause she isnt the wife so Im not sure how welcome she is to the JVLP stuff. I asked Christine S about and she said bring whomever, just was curious if anyone else is bringing someone they arent married to.

If she's planning on coming with you to ithaca you 100% should bring her to DJ... No question at all IMO.

I'm getting more and more upset that I cant go to DJ! I wonder if it would be worth going there thursday night and hanging out friday morning (would need to be near NYC for dinner on fri)...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts