Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2011
Posts: 58
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.59
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 07:36
chdheeraj1 wrote:
littlepaw wrote:
Received email - no scholarship, but I would probably still go.
For the lucky ones who got the $, would you mind sharing your backgrounds?


Same here.no scholarship. Got the email.I was hoping for a few $$$ but never mind, I will go ahead and pay my first deposit

Posted from my mobile device Image


Did you guys that got no $ get the email yesterday or today?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 766
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [2] , given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 08:47
2
This post received
KUDOS
PumpkinSpiceLatte wrote:
Looks like there is an official group for the class of 2016 per the email from Jade. https://www.facebook.com/groups/691831184183333/


I'm so glad they did this. Last year there was no official page and it was run by 2nd years so word didn't get out very quickly, and it was basically passed around the forums. They also had this lame thing called NING which was basically a group page but a lot less utilized. End rant.

Anyways - congrats to those that are in and those that got invited to scholarship weekend! Just to let you know, if you're invited to that weekend, you're coming away with a scholarship, so relax: unless you commit a felony during that weekend, you're still in at Johnson. The hard part is over.

For those who received a scholarship without an invite to the weekend there are two reasons:

1) You're an international applicant. The Park Fellowship is for domestic applicants and it doesn't make sense to invite you for something you're not eligible for.
2) It wasn't a "named" scholarship (verify this - as I'm just speculating). All the scholarships awarded at scholarship weekend have an official sounding name attached to it that should be added to the resume.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2013
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 11:03
CobraKai wrote:
PumpkinSpiceLatte wrote:
Looks like there is an official group for the class of 2016 per the email from Jade. https://www.facebook.com/groups/691831184183333/


I'm so glad they did this. Last year there was no official page and it was run by 2nd years so word didn't get out very quickly, and it was basically passed around the forums. They also had this lame thing called NING which was basically a group page but a lot less utilized. End rant.

Anyways - congrats to those that are in and those that got invited to scholarship weekend! Just to let you know, if you're invited to that weekend, you're coming away with a scholarship, so relax: unless you commit a felony during that weekend, you're still in at Johnson. The hard part is over.

For those who received a scholarship without an invite to the weekend there are two reasons:

1) You're an international applicant. The Park Fellowship is for domestic applicants and it doesn't make sense to invite you for something you're not eligible for.
2) It wasn't a "named" scholarship (verify this - as I'm just speculating). All the scholarships awarded at scholarship weekend have an official sounding name attached to it that should be added to the resume.


What if you get two separate emails - one with a scholarship and one with a Forte fellowship (which doesn't specify money) -- what does that entail? I got the Forte fellowship from another school as well but it was a scholarship...tried calling but no one's picking up!
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 766
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 14:21
tomajul1 wrote:

What if you get two separate emails - one with a scholarship and one with a Forte fellowship (which doesn't specify money) -- what does that entail? I got the Forte fellowship from another school as well but it was a scholarship...tried calling but no one's picking up!


My guess is that you're getting a scholarship from one source and being offered the benefits of the Forte Fellowship network. My thinking is that this is sort of like being a member of the Consortium, but not necessarily getting a scholarship from the school.

I bet the admissions office has been off since noon. Unfortunately you probably won't be able to reach anyone until after the new year.

admissions blog wrote:
*We are closing the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid on December 23rd and 24th; Cornell University is closed on December 25th until January 1st. A few staff members will return to the office on January 2nd and 3rd, but I do not expect a full staff until January 6th.

_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

2 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 520
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 200 [2] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 14:03
2
This post received
KUDOS
Keep an eye out for a FedEx package :)

Image
_________________

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 766
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 17:17
hamm0 wrote:
Keep an eye out for a FedEx package :)

Image


That's just the first of many pieces of swag you'll be getting. They continue to shower that stuff on you during DJ and orientation :)
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2013
Posts: 79
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson - Class of 2016
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 56

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 19:23
hamm0 wrote:
Keep an eye out for a FedEx package :)

Image


Time to get that official Johnson tie
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 700 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE: Accounting (Education)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 13

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 22:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all those admitted to the Class of 2016! I was a first rounder, accepted just before the holidays and it made for a very special new year. If anyone has Johnson or investment banking recruiting question, feel free to ping me.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2011
Posts: 87
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 20:58
Hi all. There is a Johnson meet and greet event in Mumbai on Jan 5th Sunday 4-6pm. Please let me know who is in mumbai and i can send the event invite for them. There is also an event in Hyderabad on Jan 3rd at Banjara Hills coffee day. People who are around, please let me know.

I am not sure if Johnson would be sending an official invite.I got the invite from current 2nd year students.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 12
Location: Israel
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2013, 09:01
Hi guys,
Does anybody know where do MBA students usually live on campus?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 24

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 12:28
SodaPopper wrote:
Hi guys,
Does anybody know where do MBA students usually live on campus?


I asked my JPAL Melissa about housing and she said most students live in Collegetown in "Collegetown Terrace, East Hill Plaza, Fairview or Coal Yard." However, she lives in the Commons downtown and she likes it because it's quieter, cheaper, and easily accessible to campus via regular buses.

I'm currently looking at Fairview and Cayuga Place because I need a place that allows pets.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2013
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 680 Q0 V0
GMAT 2: 720 Q V0
GPA: 3.14
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 11:20
Anyone contacted by the background check folks yet?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 766
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 12:15
AdamMorrison wrote:
Anyone contacted by the background check folks yet?

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I was admitted R1 last year and I don't think my background stuff started until May/June.

I think this happens because they don't want to do a bunch of background checks on people who aren't matriculating. Yes, putting down a deposit saves you a seat, but we all know some folks either put down multiple R1 deposits so that they can buy time on their decision, or they plunk down a deposit for R1 and wait and see where they're admitted in R2.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 10:21
schen1119 wrote:
SodaPopper wrote:
Hi guys,
Does anybody know where do MBA students usually live on campus?


I asked my JPAL Melissa about housing and she said most students live in Collegetown in "Collegetown Terrace, East Hill Plaza, Fairview or Coal Yard." However, she lives in the Commons downtown and she likes it because it's quieter, cheaper, and easily accessible to campus via regular buses.

I'm currently looking at Fairview and Cayuga Place because I need a place that allows pets.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm living in the fairview towers. Its a bit old, but you can't get much more convenient to campus(level walk). If I were to do it again, (and didn't have a dog), I'd live in Coal Yard. Great apartments, brand new building and right next to fairview.

But yeah, having a pup in Ithaca isn't as easy as you would expect. So if you want a nice level walk to campus, and don't mind extremely old appliances, fairview is a solid option. I would try for the manor over the towers though, its a bit more updated.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 10:21
CobraKai wrote:
AdamMorrison wrote:
Anyone contacted by the background check folks yet?

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. I was admitted R1 last year and I don't think my background stuff started until May/June.

I think this happens because they don't want to do a bunch of background checks on people who aren't matriculating. Yes, putting down a deposit saves you a seat, but we all know some folks either put down multiple R1 deposits so that they can buy time on their decision, or they plunk down a deposit for R1 and wait and see where they're admitted in R2.


Ha my background check wasn't completed until the end of September...
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 24

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 14:36
highwyre237 wrote:
schen1119 wrote:
SodaPopper wrote:
Hi guys,
Does anybody know where do MBA students usually live on campus?


I asked my JPAL Melissa about housing and she said most students live in Collegetown in "Collegetown Terrace, East Hill Plaza, Fairview or Coal Yard." However, she lives in the Commons downtown and she likes it because it's quieter, cheaper, and easily accessible to campus via regular buses.

I'm currently looking at Fairview and Cayuga Place because I need a place that allows pets.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm living in the fairview towers. Its a bit old, but you can't get much more convenient to campus(level walk). If I were to do it again, (and didn't have a dog), I'd live in Coal Yard. Great apartments, brand new building and right next to fairview.

But yeah, having a pup in Ithaca isn't as easy as you would expect. So if you want a nice level walk to campus, and don't mind extremely old appliances, fairview is a solid option. I would try for the manor over the towers though, its a bit more updated.


Are there any other differences between the manor and the towers? When I talked to the leasing manager on the phone (yesterday), she said the townhouses are already all filled for the 2014-2015 school year.
I'm also considering East Plaza... do you know anyone who lives over there? The townhouses seem nice and cheap, and they allow pets. On top of that, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to get to/from Sage via bus; however, I'm a bit concerned that living that far out there would make it harder to socialize and get out.
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 766
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 15:00
schen1119 wrote:

Are there any other differences between the manor and the towers? When I talked to the leasing manager on the phone (yesterday), she said the townhouses are already all filled for the 2014-2015 school year.


This is total garbage. I live in a townhouse now and when we were looking, my roommate was told that he was "9th on the waitlist." Then a spot magically opened up a few weeks later (we made contact in March) and looking around, quite a few of my classmates live in townhouses, and I'm pretty sure we were the first to inquire about them, so there's no way that ~15 people dropped off the waitlist. They just do that to make themselves seem like they're in demand, or in reality, they probably assuming people are renewing because people haven't notified them otherwise.

Contact them again in a month or two.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2012
Posts: 59
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 24

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 15:04
CobraKai wrote:
schen1119 wrote:

Are there any other differences between the manor and the towers? When I talked to the leasing manager on the phone (yesterday), she said the townhouses are already all filled for the 2014-2015 school year.


This is total garbage. I live in a townhouse now and when we were looking, my roommate was told that he was "9th on the waitlist." Then a spot magically opened up a few weeks later (we made contact in March) and looking around, quite a few of my classmates live in townhouses, and I'm pretty sure we were the first to inquire about them, so there's no way that ~15 people dropped off the waitlist. They just do that to make themselves seem like they're in demand, or in reality, they probably assuming people are renewing because people haven't notified them otherwise.

Contact them again in a month or two.


Cobra,
Good to know! I was pretty amazed, myself. I asked about waitlist and she said "the waitlist is full", but that she could show me a 2bdrm in either of the other two buildings in April when I'm in town for DJ. I'll call again in Feb/March.

How do you like the townhouse?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Can't wait for August!
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 977
Location: United States (MA)
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 15:22
schen1119 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
schen1119 wrote:

Are there any other differences between the manor and the towers? When I talked to the leasing manager on the phone (yesterday), she said the townhouses are already all filled for the 2014-2015 school year.


This is total garbage. I live in a townhouse now and when we were looking, my roommate was told that he was "9th on the waitlist." Then a spot magically opened up a few weeks later (we made contact in March) and looking around, quite a few of my classmates live in townhouses, and I'm pretty sure we were the first to inquire about them, so there's no way that ~15 people dropped off the waitlist. They just do that to make themselves seem like they're in demand, or in reality, they probably assuming people are renewing because people haven't notified them otherwise.

Contact them again in a month or two.


Cobra,
Good to know! I was pretty amazed, myself. I asked about waitlist and she said "the waitlist is full", but that she could show me a 2bdrm in either of the other two buildings in April when I'm in town for DJ. I'll call again in Feb/March.

How do you like the townhouse?


agreed, I think I need to let them know if I'm renewing by feb 1st to only get a 5% increase on my rent (if I let them know later, it'll be a 10% increase...) so 1. If you want to stay in the same place for both years, plan on a 5% rent increase. 2. Don't bother inquiring until after Feb 1.

Between the Manor and the Tower, the Manor is nicer, but its a walk up. The town houses are by far the best value though.

I'm not aware of anyone who lives in Plaza east... But I specifically chose something walk-able. Westview terrace/apartments also allow dogs, and it's a bit more walk-able, but you arent very close to collegetown. There's usually a decent amount of Johnson students there
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 766
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2014, 19:46
schen1119 wrote:

How do you like the townhouse?


It's a great location, and $1983 (+$55 per parking spot) split three ways with utilities included is pretty damn cheap. However, I don't have a pet, so that wasn't a concern. W/D in unit is clutch. Utilities and basic cable TV included. I will say, I wish I knew how close the Coal Yard was to Fairview. Those places are nice and I'm trying to move there next year. I figure I'll be a big pimpin 2nd year.

What kind of sucks about Fairview is that you can't control the heat in the winter so you're opening windows to cool off, and I don't have a covered parking spot.

I will also say that the management isn't very organized. We requested an unfurnished apartment and when I showed up all the furniture was there which was a problem since I had movers coming the next day with all my stuff. They got it out of there before the movers arrived, but I showed up in late July when my lease started July 1. They had plenty of time to remove that crap.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016   [#permalink] 16 Jan 2014, 19:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2014 ralex 28 20 Dec 2011, 16:48
Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2013 brainhurt 24 22 Mar 2011, 11:28
Guest 31 Dec 1969, 16:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Admitted to Cornell Johnson: Class of 2016

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 149 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.