Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 03:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 15:53
This post received
KUDOS
kidd38s wrote:
Got mine today, has anyone else had trouble with their email? I can send messages, but sent a test message to it to make sure my forwarding worked and it never went through.

Posted from my mobile device Image

I had the same problem ... they are transitioning from their old email system to Exchange, so unfortunately for us there is a ton of misinformation scattered throughout the Duke/Fuqua resources. Don't use webmail.duke.edu, that's the old one. Instead, use exchange.oit.duke.edu and it should work fine.

-- If anyone figures out how to get GMail account integration to work, please let me know what you did. I think I have the right ports and everything set up but I'm getting an odd/unexpected server response. --
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 19:19
mba12tech wrote:
kidd38s wrote:
Got mine today, has anyone else had trouble with their email? I can send messages, but sent a test message to it to make sure my forwarding worked and it never went through.

I had the same problem ... they are transitioning from their old email system to Exchange, so unfortunately for us there is a ton of misinformation scattered throughout the Duke/Fuqua resources. Don't use webmail.duke.edu, that's the old one. Instead, use exchange.oit.duke.edu and it should work fine.

-- If anyone figures out how to get GMail account integration to work, please let me know what you did. I think I have the right ports and everything set up but I'm getting an odd/unexpected server response. --

Worked, thanks a ton - having trouble with forwarding still as well. I'll definitely post if I find out something while tinkering at work tomorrow (employer has chosen to continue giving me a paycheck as long as I desire but took away all my projects as soon as I gave notice - won't complain in the least, but if it wasn't for netflix on demand I'd probably be going insane. At least now I can take the computer class...)
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 04:19
kidd38s wrote:
mba12tech wrote:
kidd38s wrote:

Worked, thanks a ton - having trouble with forwarding still as well. I'll definitely post if I find out something while tinkering at work tomorrow (employer has chosen to continue giving me a paycheck as long as I desire but took away all my projects as soon as I gave notice - won't complain in the least, but if it wasn't for netflix on demand I'd probably be going insane. At least now I can take the computer class...)

Nice...not only do I seem to have ended up with more work, I'm pretty sure if I was streaming Netflix on demand, I'd get a stern talking to from the internet folks. Let us know how the computer class goes :).

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 04:32
Added this to the 2011 thread, but thought some folks here might not see it.

http://www.fuquaworld.duke.edu/cmcfiles ... 6-1-10.pdf

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua c/o 2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 05:26
Great stuff Highhopes! I only glanced at it, but those stats look very positive.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:04
mba12tech wrote:

Not sure if you meant something more in depth by "gmail integration" but I was able to get forwarding to work this morning with my gmail account. Instructions at the link:

http://www.dunk.duke.edu/rkm/viewdoc.js ... elf%20Help

Thanks for the report Highhopes!
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:23
kidd38s wrote:
mba12tech wrote:

Not sure if you meant something more in depth by "gmail integration" but I was able to get forwarding to work this morning with my gmail account. Instructions at the link:

http://www.dunk.duke.edu/rkm/viewdoc.js ... elf%20Help

Thanks for the report Highhopes!

By integration I meant two things:
1) Adding the account so that I could read my Duke email directly from Gmail (not forwarding, you actually establish a connection)
2) Adding the account so that I could send email via Gmail but though the Duke servers, so basically being able to send email as my.name@fuqua.duke.edu from my personal email interface

With #1, I got some server error response (I tried port 993 w/ SSL) that I'd have to look into. With #2, I got the integration to work but the send email attempts are blocked by Duke so I would have to look into how to resolve that.

If I resolve those issues I'll let you all know. For now, at least my phone (Droid) works just fine with the Duke Exchange server.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 06:37
highhopes wrote:
Added this to the 2011 thread, but thought some folks here might not see it.

http://www.fuquaworld.duke.edu/cmcfiles ... 6-1-10.pdf

hh, this looks great, it's definitely promising. I will post this on the applicants thread?

i just got mine email login as well, I will play around with it to find out more.

UPDATE: somehow I have two address (or 3), an @duke.edu webmail with two alias and an @fuqua.duke.edu owa webmail without any alias. And only the @fuqua.duke.edu address can send/receive. It looks like there will be several networking/career opportunities coming up. Check your webmail and fuquaworld!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 13:33
Yay - I got mine today too...now you guys won't have to listen to my wallowing and self-pity about how I haven't gotten mine anymore.

Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 10:54
Anyone have an idea of how long it will take to complete the computer course? Just curious if anyone has started it and has an idea.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 15:43
giddyup wrote:
Anyone have an idea of how long it will take to complete the computer course? Just curious if anyone has started it and has an idea.

I will admit to being lame and having started. It is easy, I'm finding that I'm not really learning much. With that said, I still like to read every single word and quadruple check my work, so it's taking a little bit of time :roll: . I would say if you reserve a weekend day for it, that should be plenty of time (disclaimer, I've only done two, but judging from the titles, I don't think they'll get progressively harder).

Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 17:12
highhopes wrote:
giddyup wrote:

I will admit to being lame and having started. It is easy, I'm finding that I'm not really learning much. With that said, I still like to read every single word and quadruple check my work, so it's taking a little bit of time :roll: . I would say if you reserve a weekend day for it, that should be plenty of time (disclaimer, I've only done two, but judging from the titles, I don't think they'll get progressively harder).

Thats what I was thinking reading through it. I am thinking that its to make sure that everyone is on the same page for the Microsoft suite.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 17:33
Anyone order their business cards and name tag yet? I tried to buy it and at checkout it asks for the recipient and location/mail stop.

I assume that recipient is me, but I don't know what the location/mail stop is. Should we just input the PO Box for the building 90112?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 16:39
Expert's post
highhopes wrote:
I thought the course material will become available in July? Also, reading through the course website, it seems that you need Office 2007, when Duke OIT offers Office 2010. Does anyone know if other office version will work?

I was planning on speeding through it, until I read it's for a grade :(

Diversity

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 18:47
asimov wrote:
highhopes wrote:
I thought the course material will become available in July? Also, reading through the course website, it seems that you need Office 2007, when Duke OIT offers Office 2010. Does anyone know if other office version will work?

I was planning on speeding through it, until I read it's for a grade :(

I think you should be fine with 2010 - from what I know, it's pretty similar to 2007, but they've added some good features.

No worries about speeding through - you should still be able to fly through it, they basically give you all the answers/instructions.

Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 09:46
giddyup wrote:
Anyone order their business cards and name tag yet? I tried to buy it and at checkout it asks for the recipient and location/mail stop.

I assume that recipient is me, but I don't know what the location/mail stop is. Should we just input the PO Box for the building 90112?

FYI. I heard back from the CMC today on this, here is their response:

------------------------

You should put “Career Management Center” for both fields. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 06:31
Expert's post
giddyup wrote:
I just got done with the course. I'd say it took about 20 hours total to complete the course. You can't just skim through the material and work on the assignments, since the assignments are very detailed.

I thought I was pretty good with Excel, but the course goes through some obscure features like Solver, Goal Seek, Scenario Manager, etc. It was actually pretty useful to see some of the functionalities I didn't know about.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 08:50
asimov wrote:
giddyup wrote:
I just got done with the course. I'd say it took about 20 hours total to complete the course. You can't just skim through the material and work on the assignments, since the assignments are very detailed.

I thought I was pretty good with Excel, but the course goes through some obscure features like Solver, Goal Seek, Scenario Manager, etc. It was actually pretty useful to see some of the functionalities I didn't know about.

Funny you are responding to this today. I just finished the class too and I agree with all of this.

If you have any questions about the quizzes or assignments I suggest e-mailing Paula the professor. She is very responsive and helped clarify several questions I wasn't sure about.
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 04:50
Expert's post
FYI, if you are in the Houston area, there's an "Alumni and Students" event in Houston this Saturday (7/17) from 11 AM to 1 PM. Look in fuquaworld for more detail.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Darden, Fuqua, Haas and Ross

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 20:40
Does anyone know if your DukeCard photo should be in business formal? I only ask because I was at the school yesterday and saw that everyone's pictures for clubs and what not were in full suits but the DukeCard photo I sent in was casual. I only ask because I don't want to be the only Fuqua student in a t-shirt in all the pictures!
Re: Admitted to Duke (Fuqua) Class of 2012 Thread!   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2010, 20:40