Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:56

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 12:24
Count me in for BDW - just booked my flight + hotel room...
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2009, 14:36
I'll be flying in from the West Coast with my family. We'll get there Thursday morning. There's a Black/Latino MBA Association dinner that evening that I plan on attending. We're going to use the day to check out Durham and potential neighborhoods where we might want to move. Then it's off to Greensboro to drop off my wife and son with friends of hers. She'll probably spend the whole weekend in Greensboro and won't be able to take part in any BDW events.

If anyone is familiar with the area, please post any recommendations for family-friendly neighborhoods/apartments/townhomes/etc. near campus. I'll probably go on the Duke apartment tour (by myself) on Sunday, but we'd like to scope out some places on Thursday afternoon. Our son will be 2 in August, so school district isn't that important.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 07:49
I have been living in Durham for 1 year now, so can claim to know this area :).

If you want to stay near school (~5 miles), be surrounded by other Duke students, and are not everynight-party type, then the two Alexan properties : Alexan Place and Alexan Farms are very good.

Alexan Farms has townhomes as well for ~ $1200; in its vicinity you can have townhomes for ~ $1000.

If you want to be very close to school (biking distance), you can have townhomes for ~ $750, but I suppose the area is considered somewhat shady.

If school district is not a priority, you are willing to commute 25 minutes one-way, and do not neceessarily wish to be surrounded by fellow Dukies, you may wish to stay in Cary; Cary has tons of residential properties at decent prices.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 08:11
Anyone looking to share a room during the BDW pls give me a shout.

I don't have a room booked at the Duke inn yet.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 08:26
abhyudaya wrote:
I have been living in Durham for 1 year now, so can claim to know this area :).

If you want to stay near school (~5 miles), be surrounded by other Duke students, and are not everynight-party type, then the two Alexan properties : Alexan Place and Alexan Farms are very good.

Alexan Farms has townhomes as well for ~ $1200; in its vicinity you can have townhomes for ~ $1000.

If you want to be very close to school (biking distance), you can have townhomes for ~ $750, but I suppose the area is considered somewhat shady.

If school district is not a priority, you are willing to commute 25 minutes one-way, and do not neceessarily wish to be surrounded by fellow Dukies, you may wish to stay in Cary; Cary has tons of residential properties at decent prices.

Thanks, abhyudaya! We'll definitely check out the Alexan properties.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2009, 12:24
dakra wrote:
Anyone looking to share a room during the BDW pls give me a shout.

I don't have a room booked at the Duke inn yet.

Check out the Duke facebook group. There are a bunch of people on there that are looking for BDW roommates.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2009, 12:36
i know this has been discussed before but can anyone tell me how can you join facebook group with out showing in on your profile. i do not want my employer to find out before i tell him..

thanks for your input
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2009, 20:27
pallavi79us wrote:
i know this has been discussed before but can anyone tell me how can you join facebook group with out showing in on your profile. i do not want my employer to find out before i tell him..

thanks for your input

I don't think that's possible. My only recommendation would be to create a second profile -- same name, but with a different email address and don't friend your usual contacts. Let the admissions office know this is you and join the group with your second profile.

Note that this might be against Facebook's TOS. But I don't think there's any way to join a group without it showing on your profile.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2009, 03:32
You can use Facebook's privacy and security settings to hide groups so others can't see them, or so that only certain friends can see them. You cannot, however, hide networks - so if you join the Duke network that will be seen by everyone, even people who are not your friends.

VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2009, 06:56
Jerz wrote:
You can use Facebook's privacy and security settings to hide groups so others can't see them, or so that only certain friends can see them. You cannot, however, hide networks - so if you join the Duke network that will be seen by everyone, even people who are not your friends.

I joined the Duke Admitted Class of 2011 group and it's just that, a group not a network. You can hide it so that it isn't announced on your wall that you joined the group, but if someone has access to your profile, when they look it will list the groups you are a member of.

RF

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 12:15
Roll Call so far for BDW
----------------------
RF
smokedpotatoes2
Toubab
yaazol
abhyudaya
dakra
skitalets
Austin81

anyone I'm missing? Looks like it will be hard for me to make it (RT flights to RDU for me would be over $800 as of now) but I'm very interested to hear how stuff goes - I'm bummed to miss all the CASE related stuff they have planned (e.g. Bob Massie on Fri). Some pretty cool optional activities too - if any of you haven't tried Hash running before it's a ton of fun! Just please promise me you won't spend your whole time at the DDR / Wii.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 14:43
bostonsparky wrote:
Roll Call so far for BDW
Looks like it will be hard for me to make it (RT flights to RDU for me would be over $800 as of now)

Are you Boston? If so, JetBlue usually has some great deals, even on short notice.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 14:53
yaazol wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
Roll Call so far for BDW
Looks like it will be hard for me to make it (RT flights to RDU for me would be over $800 as of now)

Are you Boston? If so, JetBlue usually has some great deals, even on short notice.

From there, yes. But living abroad now. Too bad, I'd definitely try to get the discount this guy got:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaki ... ploye.html
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2011

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 07:19
I'll be at BDW. Staying at the Millenium Hotel, the Washington Duke was booked solid...

Should be a good time...
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 12:07
Updated the list. I'll be there Friday noon and staying at Washington Duke. Since registration doesn't start until 3 pm or so, I plan to hang around Fuqua campus.

Roll Call so far for BDW
----------------------
RF
smokedpotatoes2
Toubab
yaazol
abhyudaya
dakra
skitalets
Austin81
thesadmachine
svrider
VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 12:13
Anyone got any good ideas on how to identify fellow gmatclubbers?

I don't know if there will be nametags we can write on or what, but it would be neat if we had a easy way of picking each other out of the crowd.

RF

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 12:21
Secret handshakes. Alternatively, find a way to incorporate the word "praetorian" into a normal sentence.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 12:32
refurb wrote:

I don't know if there will be nametags we can write on or what, but it would be neat if we had a easy way of picking each other out of the crowd.

RF

I am sure we'll have nametags but it would be strange walking around trying to identify gc'ers by their tag :)
How about meeting at a pre-destined meeting point sometime before the event starts?
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 12:55
svrider wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

I am sure we'll have nametags but it would be strange walking around trying to identify gc'ers by their tag :)
How about meeting at a pre-destined meeting point sometime before the event starts?

Indeed. I like this site as much as anyone but it's too lame a name to project. Use an alias, like "Project Mayhem" or something, much better.
VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 12:57
svrider wrote:

The kick-off starts at 6:30pm, right? How about meeting somewhere at 6pm?

RF

Re: Admitted to Duke Fuqua Class of 2011   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2009, 12:57