Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 20:01
This post received
KUDOS
Echoing posts above, ASW was well organized and a very positive experience. The people were great and the weekend was quite fun :)

Some pros and cons for me below:

Pros:

1. Diverse and friendly classmates
2. Engaging and high-energy classroom experience
3. Large international alumni network
4. Extremely tight-knit section of 90
5. Beautiful campus, facilities and lively city

Cons:

1. Very heavy 1st year courseload - students I spoke to get on average 5 hours of sleep every night. Mandatory 7AM learning team meetings every single day.

2. From what current students told me, social circles are largely confined to sections. People oftentimes default to just knowing their section and many do not make extraordinary strides to branch out. (Maybe because they aren't sleeping...? :| )

3. Seemingly high ratio of aspiring students to coveted job slots. (This may be the case across all schools)

Conclusion: Overall, a confirmation of the high standards I had for the program-- if I matriculated here, I'm confident it would be a positive experience. Main issue is quality-of-life during the RC year (sure, only the 1st year, but the MBA program is only 2 years in total)-- interested in knowing how "rigorous" other MBA programs are, and how much free time they would allow me to pursue extracurricular and social interests. Secondary issue is community inclusiveness given its large size.
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 07:28
Mikus wrote:
Echoing posts above, ASW was well organized and a very positive experience. The people were great and the weekend was quite fun :)

Some pros and cons for me below:

Pros:

1. Diverse and friendly classmates
2. Engaging and high-energy classroom experience
3. Large international alumni network
4. Extremely tight-knit section of 90
5. Beautiful campus, facilities and lively city

Cons:

1. Very heavy 1st year courseload - students I spoke to get on average 5 hours of sleep every night. Mandatory 7AM learning team meetings every single day.

2. From what current students told me, social circles are largely confined to sections. People oftentimes default to just knowing their section and many do not make extraordinary strides to branch out. (Maybe because they aren't sleeping...? :| )

3. Seemingly high ratio of aspiring students to coveted job slots. (This may be the case across all schools)

Conclusion: Overall, a confirmation of the high standards I had for the program-- if I matriculated here, I'm confident it would be a positive experience. Main issue is quality-of-life during the RC year (sure, only the 1st year, but the MBA program is only 2 years in total)-- interested in knowing how "rigorous" other MBA programs are, and how much free time they would allow me to pursue extracurricular and social interests. Secondary issue is community inclusiveness given its large size.

Hey guys, thanks for the recaps! Have any of you guys made your final decisions on which school to attend yet?

I have a lot of friends currently at HBS and they all tell me that the RC year experience will largely be determined by your section. Even then, I know people within the same section that like it or don't just based on their personalities. However, there are many opportunities to meet people from other sections (learning teams, clubs/activities, socials, etc.). The RCs I know don't sleep very much, but its not all due to work. The classic saying is you can pick 2 out of the following 3: school work, socializing, or sleep.

Anyways, from what I hear from ECs and alumni is that the EC year is completely different. No more section structure so you meet more people, flexible curriculum, and people generally prepare for class less (either because they are completely focused on getting a job or because they've figured out how much they need to prepare for cases in order to get by). ECs are just more laid back... unless they can't find a job (a lot of people this year)... then they're stressed out.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 08:41
Just thought it'd be relevant to post a link to a current RC's blog entry regarding the schedule for RCs. pretty much describes an 80hr week while skipping a majority of the events.

http://www.insidehbs.com/two-weeks-into-the-first-year/
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 17:18
bball wrote:
Just thought it'd be relevant to post a link to a current RC's blog entry regarding the schedule for RCs. pretty much describes an 80hr week while skipping a majority of the events.

http://www.insidehbs.com/two-weeks-into-the-first-year/

Oh man, I don't even want to think about this. I'm sure it'll be well worth it, but maintaining that schedule and a boyfriend in California is going to be really rough.

msday wrote:
(especially BigBad, who is the polar opposite of me!)

Polar opposite!? Don't be so hard on yourself, msday :-P (sorry, too easy)

Ok, can we get down to the nitty gritty? What do you think about housing? The group I toured with seemed really anti-dorm, but they were all local. I feel like the dorm is the best turn-key option, especially if I want to do my internship back in Cali. That said, I don't want to be a hermit.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 19:21
BigBad wrote:
msday wrote:

Ok, can we get down to the nitty gritty? What do you think about housing? The group I toured with seemed really anti-dorm, but they were all local. I feel like the dorm is the best turn-key option, especially if I want to do my internship back in Cali. That said, I don't want to be a hermit.

Hah! Nice one.

I don't consider myself very hermit-like, and I'm definitely going to live in the dorms...I am so excited for tunnel access and having my own living space, plus dorms are cheaper than the apartments, and no bills to worry about.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 21:16
msday wrote:
BigBad wrote:
msday wrote:

Hah! Nice one.

I don't consider myself very hermit-like, and I'm definitely going to live in the dorms...I am so excited for tunnel access and having my own living space, plus dorms are cheaper than the apartments, and no bills to worry about.

My wife and I will be in the apartments... they don't let us married folk live like college kids anymore :(

Some of my single friends currently living in the apartments are moving back into the dorms for the EC year... mostly because of the $ and you can get nice dorms as an EC (they get first pick).
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 09:23
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 09:30
nink wrote:

The resident tutor program he refers to is incredibly difficult to get into, possibly harder than HBS or Harvard College. I heard of one slot this year that had 300 applicants. (That said, my girlfriend is a finalist for one and she's dumb enough to date me, so it can't be that hard.)

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 10:27
rca215 wrote:
nink wrote:

The resident tutor program he refers to is incredibly difficult to get into, possibly harder than HBS or Harvard College. I heard of one slot this year that had 300 applicants. (That said, my girlfriend is a finalist for one and she's dumb enough to date me, so it can't be that hard.)

It is really hard to get into -- There are twelve upper-class houses, all of which use resident tutors. Each house is split up into entryways (i.e., a common entrance for a vertical grouping of rooms) and each entryway has a res tutor. I would say each house averages 10 entryways. So it is already a low number. Then, there are very few spots that open up from year-to-year -- a res tutor must give up their spot. Consider that you'll be competing against all harvard grad students (business, law, med school, GSAS), some of whom used to be Harvard students and already have relationships with each house's administration, and your chances are essentially zero.

One thing to look into is the non-resident tutors, of which there are many more. Basically, you will advise undergrad students on academic and career choices (law, business, medicine, etc.). You get free meals at any of the Harvard dining halls if you're a non-res tutor.
Manager
Manager

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 12:03
I sent my deposit in this weekend and changed my profile Blue!

With the deadline coming up, have all you undecided people decided yet?
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
I thought I'd post my thoughts on ASW. Overall, we had an amazing time and the weekend made me realize I made the right choice.

People - Throw out all of the stereotypes. All of the current and admitted students were so cool and down to earth. Yes, they were extremely accomplished, but everyone was so humble and happy to be there.

Class - I sat in on my first HBS class. I don't think I'll ever want to sit in a lecture class again! The case method was amazing and the professor did an outstanding job at keeping the class energized. It never felt like the students were competing for participation. It felt like a healthy discussion from different perspectives. I was amazed at how much the professors prepare for each class (10-15 hours for some). It shows as they know how each student can contribute to different parts of the discussion for each case. (i.e. - Asking a student about a similar problem he faced at his previous job that related to the case.)

Partners - Many of the other schools I looked at were known for being "partner friendly". HBS was considered to be weaker in that department. That was not the case from our experience! HBS goes out of the way to make partners feel like it is their school as well. Partners can attend class, join clubs, and participate in any event! Basically, they say that partners get the HBS experience without the class work and they really mean it! My wife is extremely excited about HBS now!

Also, I recieved my financial aid package the other day. I was very impressed with the fellowship HBS provided. Even though my wife and I have a significant income, the HBS fellowship was still by far much larger than any other scholarships I received at other schools. It was quite a surprise!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 04:42
What sort of GPA is needed for Harvard? Or do they give more weight to GMAT?
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 14:52
cpgmba - I was just looking through the profiles thread and saw that you applied to Indiana.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Were you applying to be a student or to be the dean?

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 15:51
nastynas wrote:
What sort of GPA is needed for Harvard? Or do they give more weight to GMAT?

This is a more appropriate question for the 'Calling All HBS Applicants' thread, and I suggest you take it there.

My quick 2 cents is that it's not so formulaic as you might think. The adcom at HBS (and all top schools) looks for ability to handle the academic workload, which is evidenced in both your GPA and GMAT. More applicants meet this standard than there are slots in the class. So, beyond GPA/GMAT they're going to look for a coolness factor. By cool, I mean what will you add to the class? Would I want to be friends or colleagues with this person? Do they have a unique perspective? Do they have leadership potential? Do they have interesting life stories?

Or, on the other hand, are they arrogant, boring, or over-represented demographics? If you fall into one of these categories, you will have trouble gaining admission even with strong GPA/GMAT.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2009, 16:43
BigBad wrote:
I sent my deposit in this weekend and changed my profile Blue!

With the deadline coming up, have all you undecided people decided yet?

Loved the HBS ASW-- but looks like I won't be joining the party this time around. It's an amazing school and wish you guys all the best in Cambridge!

Part of me is definitely regretful that I can't be in two places at once ;)
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 18:15
rca215 wrote:
cpgmba - I was just looking through the profiles thread and saw that you applied to Indiana.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Were you applying to be a student or to be the dean?

Haha. Well, I had no idea how this application process would shake out. Part of me thought I could get into every school I applied to while sometimes I thought I would have a tough time getting into Duke/Michigan. I was going to go to school no matter what, so I initially applied to Indiana as well for a back-up. Suffice to say, once I received an interview invite at HBS and the super interview invite at Ross, I felt pretty good about my chances. Once I got my first acceptance, I withdrew from Indiana before interviewing.
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Texas, MIT, Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2009, 14:19
Hey Guys! Anyone going to Admit weekend the 23?

Did anyone go to the one for R1 admits?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 09 May 2009, 15:24
As a preparation for Sep and taken from the latest Harbus... Reflections from the Class of 2009

THE BEST:
What would you not have missed for the world? What encapsulates the best of HBS?
"Great personal and learning experience."
"I would not have missed the wonderful time I had sharing the HBS experience with my wife, preparing for our future together. The best of HBS is seen in the concomitant depth of caring and camaraderie in the section in parallel with experience-sharing on a professional level."
"The best part of HBS is the people. I've met so many incredibly warm, sharp, and passionate people in my section and through many clubs and conferences. In addition, we get to see amazing leaders on campus and have meaningful interaction -- I've been lucky to meet and talk with so many technology heavyweights over these two years."
"Enjoying the company of a small group of HBS friends over drinks/dinner."
"People. Fellow HBS Students."
"The Aldrich Classroom experience - getting 90 brilliant people to have a serious conversation for 80 minutes is a unique privilege."

THE SHORTCOMINGS:
What do you wish you could change about HBS? In what areas did HBS disappoint you?
"People are too self-focused."
"Not many opportunities for international recruiting."
"I thought I was going to be among the stupidest people here and guarantee that every class was going to be a breath-taking learning experience. I think I was closer to average than I thought. Simultaneously, some classes were a little disappointing for the lack of educational 'oomph' that others had."
"Parties and school wide gatherings are, for the most part, severely over-rated."
"That it has the come to an end! If it could go on forever, that would be sweet."
"We do not push ourselves to be true professionals and leaders. We should always stress our responsibility."

HINDSIGHT IS 20/20:
What do you wish you had known about the HBS experience that you only now know?
"Less focus on preparing cases"
"I wish I had known that HBS Clubs have terrible title inflation for their officers. That is: "VP of Communications" in an HBS Club translates as "Email dude" in a typical undergrad club. Not much different in practice, but looks better on one's resume."
"I wish I had a deeper sense of how quickly it would fly by."
"Spend time meeting friends in SMALL group settings...and get to know professors on a PERSONAL level."
"To go on as many treks as possible. Four is not enough."
"I wish I had known that I don't need to go to all the extra speakers and read all the cases."

PERSONAL HIGHLIGHT:
What will be your favorite memory from HBS? If there was a moment or experience that will stay with you forever, what was it? Or, did any member of the HBS community truly impact you? How?
"Vortex of doom and squirrel in a treadmill analogies by Michel Nehme"
"One of my favorite memories will be of my section building the largest snowman I've ever helped with, on a whim at Baker Lawn."
"Enjoying the campus on a cold, brisk day in the October with a plethora of fall colors surrounding me."
"I will never forget the treks and the last day of my first year Section J of MBA '07 led by Dick Vietor. It was truly a remarkable Capstone session."
"I will remember my friends here and their passion for entrepreneurship."
Re: Admitted to Harvard Business School Class of 2011!   [#permalink] 09 May 2009, 15:24