Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 16:52
lots of good info here, too (the Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2011 thread):

http://gmatclub.com/forum/admitted-to-kellogg-class-of-2011-thread-74022.html
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [2] , given: 17

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 17:24
This post received
KUDOS
wiseguyMBA wrote:
unhedged wrote:
I heard the Accounting course is very basic, so it might be most efficient to waive out of it. My plan is to waive Accounting and take Turbo Finance. I'd rather have the extra elective than separate Fin 1 and Fin 2

I thought MMM had to take TurboFin?

I guess one would have to take a Grad level accounting course to waive Accounting? I have to check and see if my U.Texas evening course qualifies. I'm planning to take Turbo Fin too, but considering my background (Engg), I've been advised by some second years not to be too aggressive, cos they skip over plenty of stuff in Turbo fin.

And did anyone get the answer on how much recruiting there is in the Fall qtr?
thanks

You can waive out of accounting with an undergrad level accounting class. The accounting core class is not really a grad-level accounting class, more an opportunity for MBA students without prior accounting coursework to gain a foundational understanding of accounting concepts and financial reporting.

There is a decent amount of recruiting activities in the fall quarter, but it's almost exclusively networking events, coffee chats, company presentations, shadow days, etc. How many of these there are depends on what you're recruiting for. If you're banking, consulting or another network-intensive industry, you will be very busy. For the less network-intensive industries, you can probably expect a couple of events per week once recruiting starts in October. There will also be resume reviews run by the CMC and professional clubs, and maybe some interview prep groups start forming (although that's more in the winter quarter).

If I remember, the first internship applications weren't due until the week after fall quarter ended (aka ski trip week), with a bunch more due over winter break. Interviews started I think either the first or second week we were back for the winter quarter.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 14:42
Jerz wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:
unhedged wrote:
I heard the Accounting course is very basic, so it might be most efficient to waive out of it. My plan is to waive Accounting and take Turbo Finance. I'd rather have the extra elective than separate Fin 1 and Fin 2

I thought MMM had to take TurboFin?

I guess one would have to take a Grad level accounting course to waive Accounting? I have to check and see if my U.Texas evening course qualifies. I'm planning to take Turbo Fin too, but considering my background (Engg), I've been advised by some second years not to be too aggressive, cos they skip over plenty of stuff in Turbo fin.

And did anyone get the answer on how much recruiting there is in the Fall qtr?
thanks

You can waive out of accounting with an undergrad level accounting class. The accounting core class is not really a grad-level accounting class, more an opportunity for MBA students without prior accounting coursework to gain a foundational understanding of accounting concepts and financial reporting.

There is a decent amount of recruiting activities in the fall quarter, but it's almost exclusively networking events, coffee chats, company presentations, shadow days, etc. How many of these there are depends on what you're recruiting for. If you're banking, consulting or another network-intensive industry, you will be very busy. For the less network-intensive industries, you can probably expect a couple of events per week once recruiting starts in October. There will also be resume reviews run by the CMC and professional clubs, and maybe some interview prep groups start forming (although that's more in the winter quarter).

If I remember, the first internship applications weren't due until the week after fall quarter ended (aka ski trip week), with a bunch more due over winter break. Interviews started I think either the first or second week we were back for the winter quarter.

Thank you Jerz.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 19:02
So, who is going where?

I got my first choice( KWEST).

Also, I've booked my tickets to Evanston. I'm reaching on 17th Aug. I have a couple of days before the KWEST trip.

How about a GMATclub meet?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 19:06
unplugged wrote:
So, who is going where?

I got my first choice( KWEST).

Also, I've booked my tickets to Evanston. I'm reaching on 17th Aug. I have a couple of days before the KWEST trip.

How about a GMATclub meet?

Sounds good, I'll be there by then. I got my first choice for KWEST too. Spending so much time in front of the computer has given me the quick trigger necessary for successful KWEST signup ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 19:13
boogs wrote:
Sounds good, I'll be there by then. I got my first choice for KWEST too. Spending so much time in front of the computer has given me the quick trigger necessary for successful KWEST signup ;)

Ha ha! So true. I think my chocies went in minutes after the registration opened( max. 4 mins)

So, who else is in town on 18th August/ 19th August?
Manager
Manager

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 06:26
hey guys..
I'm sitting out on KWEST. Tough decision, but had to do it cos of personal reasons.
I'll be in Evanston around that timeframe. Count me in.
-WG
Current Student
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 09:26
Anyone trying to waive DECS-433? Is it worth taking?

I thought it was a intro stats course, but after reading the syllabus, I'm not sure if my Applied Stats course applies.
Manager
Manager

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 06:04
Has anyone researched on alternatives for the Kellogg Laptop program? I am seeing some great options out there (HP for $499), with the same configuration, but have never used a HP before. Any other suggestions for laptops that are reliable and beat the KLP's price?
thanks
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 06:10
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Has anyone researched on alternatives for the Kellogg Laptop program? I am seeing some great options out there (HP for $499), with the same configuration, but have never used a HP before. Any other suggestions for laptops that are reliable and beat the KLP's price?
thanks

There's a bit of info posted in the Laptop thread. Boogs got an alternative laptop if I recall. I'm thinking of just sticking with KLP unless I can find a much better deal for equivalent performance.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 11:06
I actually got a similar Lenovo laptop, but not through KIS. KLP is probably a good choice if you feel like you need the service that is included.

Any updates as to when people will be arriving in Evanston? I will be there 8/15.

Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 17:35
Re: Core Course Selection

On the website, when I select my core course and hit "send" it looks like the web page basically just refreshes and that's it. No confirmation message. And the boxes are still there such that I could choose a different course and hit "send". Is this what it's supposed to be? Did other people have the same experience?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2010, 17:42
2012MBAmaybe wrote:
Re: Core Course Selection

On the website, when I select my core course and hit "send" it looks like the web page basically just refreshes and that's it. No confirmation message. And the boxes are still there such that I could choose a different course and hit "send". Is this what it's supposed to be? Did other people have the same experience?

Is the core course selection live? I haven't seen any place to sign up for course selection on the welcome page.

Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 11:45
I navigate to the core course selection via the to-do list item.

Maybe I'm just premature.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 17:07
I seem to recall something similar last year where there was little or no confirmation that you'd successfully submitted your preference. You may want to try again after the day it's supposed to go live just to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that even when you successfully select you don't get a confirmation.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 09:36
Just a question on course selection/waivers - after reading the notes listed on different departments, it seems like the only way you can get a full waiver is if you take a test in addition to providing a transcript and syllabus - is that accurate?

Quote:
"Anyone trying to waive DECS-433? Is it worth taking?"

I was thinking about it, but the sample exam they have online looks quite hard! The only problem is that if you don't waive DECS 433, you have to take Finance I (which I'm trying to waive).
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 14:21
mbasc2010 wrote:
Just a question on course selection/waivers - after reading the notes listed on different departments, it seems like the only way you can get a full waiver is if you take a test in addition to providing a transcript and syllabus - is that accurate?

This is not the impression I get from the website.

An exam is required if you your waiver application is deemed "no waiver" or "partial waiver". If your waiver application is deemed "full waiver" then you do not need to take an exam.

What notes listed on different departments made you think that a full waiver is difficult or rare? I might be missing something.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 14:25
Well I found this for microecon:

A full waiver from MECN 430 is only granted by passing the waiver exam that is given in the fall quarter. A full waiver means that your managerial economics requirement is satisfied without need for further course work in this area.

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/med ... erinfo.htm
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 14:36
unhedged wrote:
Anyone trying to waive DECS-433? Is it worth taking?

I thought it was a intro stats course, but after reading the syllabus, I'm not sure if my Applied Stats course applies.

So I finally finished the math bootcamp and took the test. I guess I can skip the Math Refresher. I just looked at the test for turbo DECS, and while I think I learned how to do most of this stuff 7 years ago, I don't think I want to have to relearn everything on my own just to be ready for class. Also, I only took one class with an A instead of the 2 classes with B or greater. That requirement seems a bit unclear. The flow chart says 2 classes required, but http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/med ... erinfo.htm says 1 class with A is good enough.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 15:23
mbasc2010 wrote:
The only problem is that if you don't waive DECS 433, you have to take Finance I (which I'm trying to waive).

I don't think you have to take Fin 1 if you don't waive DECS. I didn't waive DECS and took Marketing in the fall last year.

Also, waiver requirements vary by department. Some departments require you to take the exam to get a full waiver, other departments (like accounting) let you waive based on prior coursework or having a CPA license.

Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2010, 15:23