Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Kellogg
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Admitted to Kellogg Class of 2012 Thread [#permalink]
Re Vera sent me an email last week to get the contact information for one of the companies that I have worked for.

I don't think that they will send an email confirming that the verification process is complete as it is stated in their confirmation email.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
hey guys,

I got a quick question for everyone regarding the waiver process.

for courses like MECN 430 which requires an exam to waive, do I still need to send in the waiver application? or should I just sign up for the exam during orientation? I took the course more than 5 years ago and am currently outside of US. it's too much trouble to gather all the materials and mail them over if it's not required...thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Anyone moved up to Evanston yet? I moved in a week ago, and the place seems relatively empty with no students...
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
1Y students are already there, also some international students who are participating in a program. if you need contacts, I can give you a few
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone tried doing the Math Boot Camp Exam? If I got it right, the exam has to be completed to check eligibility to waive DECS 433 right?

The website is so flaky and undependable. So far I got through 3/4 of the test 2 only to see myself logged out or denied access for some reason.
Anyone else facing the same issues?

And returning to my first question, am I correct in assuming this exam is required to waive DECS or am I wasting my time doing this?
thanks
wg
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Also. has anyone done research on FINC 1&2 vs Turbo Finance? For someone from a non-finance background, would it be too much to dive into Turbo Fin?
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I did the math boot camp and the test without any technical problems. No idea on waiving DECS433 as it's not an option for me (MMM).

In regards to turbo fin vs. finance 1&2, there is some discussion in this thread, I think. I also posted a link in this thread to the 2011 "Admitted to Kellogg" thread, where more discussion occurs. Basically, based on what I hear, if you come from a quantitative background you will be OK in turbo finance even with little finance background. Some people still recommend 1&2 separate to give you more time with the material. But yeah, if you're OK at math it sounds like turbo is deinfetly doable without finance experience. I'm doing it without finance background (Engineer. Took a bunch of community college accounting classes, but no finance background).

Hope it helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
NephewD343 wrote:
Anyone moved up to Evanston yet? I moved in a week ago, and the place seems relatively empty with no students...

Even with the 1Ys and internationals around, the town is pretty dead until after KWEST, when the 2nd years start getting back, with ~8000 undergrads showing up shortly thereafter.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you .
That helps. I finally completed the boot camp exam with some technical help from the webmaster. Reach out to him if you have issues. He's pretty quick with solutions.
-wg

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So is august 9th the last date for selecting core courses? A
Also, has anyone found an alternative student insurance plan to kellogg's? Or is everyone sticking with the kellogg plan? Seems expensive to me,

Thanks
Wg

Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm looking at the course waiver form and I have a few questions. Some of them might be lame, so I apologize.

1. First off, what's the norm for number of courses students take in the first qtr? 3 or 4?
2. I am planning to take FINC440 (Turbo), and since I passed the Boot camp and self-graded DECS test, I'm planing to take DECS445 too.( I think I got the number right, I mean the DECS Turbo course). Can any of the seniors guide me as to how aggressive that is? My background is in engineering, and I've taken accounting course before.
3. I submitted an ACCTG course waiver form. Has anyone else submitted one, and how do you know if you've been approved to waive?
4. After submitting the course form, by 9th, how much flexibility do we have to change our mind and selections?

Thanks in advance.
cheers
wg
VP
VP
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
wiseguyMBA wrote:
I'm looking at the course waiver form and I have a few questions. Some of them might be lame, so I apologize.

1. First off, what's the norm for number of courses students take in the first qtr? 3 or 4?
2. I am planning to take FINC440 (Turbo), and since I passed the Boot camp and self-graded DECS test, I'm planing to take DECS445 too.( I think I got the number right, I mean the DECS Turbo course). Can any of the seniors guide me as to how aggressive that is? My background is in engineering, and I've taken accounting course before.
3. I submitted an ACCTG course waiver form. Has anyone else submitted one, and how do you know if you've been approved to waive?
4. After submitting the course form, by 9th, how much flexibility do we have to change our mind and selections?

Thanks in advance.
cheers
wg

1. You will be enrolled in 4 courses for the first quarter, plus your MORS pre-term class. So you'll technically have 5 courses for the quarter even though during the quarter itself you're only taking 4. Once the add/drop period starts (during CIM) you're able to make changes to your fall schedule. Don't worry, you'll find out how add/drop works during CIM.
2. We prefer the term "2nd years" to seniors, the less the reminder that it's our final year the better. To your question I'd say it's pretty aggressive. Turbo Fin isn't hard, but it's very fast paced so you're doing 2x the work each week. I don't know anyone who took Turbo DECS, but looking at the workload for DECS I and II, turbo would be pretty intense too. I wouldn't overload yourself too much for the fall quarter. It definitely takes time to adjust back to school and learn how to balance the demands of classes, clubs, recruiting (company networking usually starts in October) and spending time getting to know your new friends. Taking 2 turbo classes in that first quarter, plus strategy and whatever elective you chose is a pretty intense workload.
3. I waived accounting. If I remember, I got an email that my waiver was accepted and had to send an email to the registrar asking them to change my schedule from the accounting course to a different core.
4. You can't make any changes (other than emailing the registrar about waivers) until add/drop starts during CIM. At that point you can change whatever you want - except for strategy which you take with your section, assuming there are open spots in the class you want to change into. A bunch of people I knew made changes, either to get a different professor or to get a more preferable time (e.g. moving an 8:30 class to a later class). That said, you don't have much flexibility because you have to satisfy your core requirements, except ops, by winter, so most of the changes are between sections of the same class. You will learn all you need to know about add/drop and bidding during CIM.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you jerz. That calms me down a bit. I guess I'll slip down to DeCs 433 then.
But like you said, CIM should be very helpful.
Regards
Wg

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Anyone NOT going to kwest, like me? I'm reaching there on 16th, and though I will see plenty of people before kwest, I'm wondering if there'll be any soul at all there in the kwest week.
Thanks
Wg

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Send PM
Question about CIM - I know that it says all events are mandatory but I have a conflict during labor day weekend. I WILL be able to stay for all of CIM olympics but will be missing the picnic - will this be a big deal?
VP
VP
Send PM
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Anyone NOT going to kwest, like me? I'm reaching there on 16th, and though I will see plenty of people before kwest, I'm wondering if there'll be any soul at all there in the kwest week.
Thanks
Wg

There will be some people around town, but it will be pretty empty. Most (I think somewhere around 85-90%) 1st years will be on KWEST, and the 2nd years are either finishing up internships, traveling or leading KWEST.

mbasc2010 wrote:
Question about CIM - I know that it says all events are mandatory but I have a conflict during labor day weekend. I WILL be able to stay for all of CIM olympics but will be missing the picnic - will this be a big deal?

I'd talk to your section leaders but it really shouldn't be a problem. The "all events are mandatory" is more to keep people from just skipping out on stuff during the week because they're tired/hungover. Last year a lot of people either skipped out on the picnic or grabbed food and then left.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Is anyone considering getting a Mac?
I'm almost bought on the idea of getting one, but I've heard bad things about excel macros, but won't that be fixed by using windows OS and Office?
Thanks
Wg

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11