Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 10:55
anyone know when stuff starts? not the academic year, but refresher classes or anything leading up to the start of classes? still waiting on my binder-o-stuff.

http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, Darden, Booth
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 11:19
I also have some questions, now that I have been admitted off the waitlist.

1. I have the same question as the last poster, when does math camp start in the summer? Also related, when is a good time to move to Ann Arbor. My wife and I could be free in late June, should we just move and settle down 1-2 months before program? When is a good time to grab a cheap apartment close to Ross? Will they be gone after GBR? Where are the best apts, in the fancy complexes or in the old homes across from Ross?

2. Financial aid, I work in non-profit and community service with a microscopic salary. The $90,000 MBA looks daunting without a scholarship, which I wasn't offered during the call. Will I have a chance at need-based scholarships later, or only a mountain of loans?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas, Thunderbird, Ross, Duke, Yale, UNC, Babson

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 14:36
decemberblues, I echo your questions, and unfortunately have no answers. All, please pipe up if you're the holder of any info!

Also, I'll be there at GBR with my +1, and am looking forward to seeing you there. Was there a GBR for the first admit deadline, or is this it?
Current Student
Schools: Ross '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 14:39
Sorry guys, I don't have my binder handy - there's a month-by-month calendar that has all of the important dates on it, including the Quant Workshop and two accounting waiver courses.

There is only one GBR, which I will be attending.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 15:47
Here's some great housing infor. It's the 2009 Housing statistics

http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... ey2009.xls

Found at: http://www.bus.umich.edu/StudentLife/St ... BALive.htm

Seems like Woodbury Gardens has the most for a single place with 59 people.
Anyone look at Northwoods on-campus housing?

Current Student
Schools: Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 19:08
decemberblues...congrats on the admit...this is what I know...

1. Not sure about math camp, but probably in late August. There are two accounting refreshers in mid August (one week each).
I am moving to Ann Arbor in May. I am taking some classes this summer. It seems that most people move in July or early August. There will be mtreks going on over the summer but I dont think they have dates for those yet.

I mentioned that I really like woodbury gardens and they seem to be very couple/family oriented as well.

2. I know nothing about financial aid/scholarship
Current Student
Schools: University of Michigan Erb Institute '12

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 19:14
decemberblues wrote:
2. Financial aid, I work in non-profit and community service with a microscopic salary. The $90,000 MBA looks daunting without a scholarship, which I wasn't offered during the call. Will I have a chance at need-based scholarships later, or only a mountain of loans?

To give you a sense of the need-based situation, my EFC was ~$9,000 on the FASFA. My financial aid package was full stafford subsidized, $500 perkins loan, and a $5,000 grant/year. Needless to say I was a bit underwhelmed.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 19:17
decemberblues wrote:
I also have some questions, now that I have been admitted off the waitlist.

i don't think there are need-based scholarships for b-schools (well, they do exist - at haas it requires a separate essay in the application). it's primarily merit scholarships which are offered at point of acceptance.

need is demonstrated through fafsa, so fill that out as soon as you can to process your paperwork faster...means you should file taxes first too.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 19:28
i pulled a ppt called "trek leader information session" for mba2s who are interested in leading 2009 treks. it says that mba1s must be back in ann arbor by aug 16. doesn't say why, but i guess it's a good marker to try to plan around. probably should get moved in before the trek.

Current Student

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 19:32
Ok, here are some dates:

Aug. 10-14, Accounting Waiver A
Aug. 17-21, Accounting Waiver B
Aug. 24-25, Quant Skills Workshop
Aug. 27-Sep. 3, Ross Leadership Initiative, Required
Sep. 8, Classes begin
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2009, 22:59
Is the Ross Leadership Initiative their version of the Orientation? Or is there a separate MBA1 Orientation?
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 01:26
Hi folks,

I'm a Ross admit, and a townie.

Someone asked a question about when to move to AA, and when housing will go. I'm not super familiar with campus-area housing, as I live a few miles away, but:

-Ann Arbor is awesome in the summer. Nice weather, and no overwhelming crowds. Getting here in June might give you an opportunity to get to know the town.
-Ann Arbor has a big Art Fair over the summer (July 15-18 this year). Lots of fairly kitschy crafts, funnel cake, etc. Some love it, some don't. Be aware, though, that some of the streets are closed down, so this might not be an ideal time to move in. http://www.artfair.org/
-My guess is that if you arrive in June / July, there would still be plenty of rentals available, since so many people graduate each year.
-There are a lot of apartments and houses for rent near the b school. Quality definitely varies though, so I would not rent sight unseen. Note that there are also a lot of frats in the area, so this is a problem, be on the lookout.
-One really nice neighborhood, a bit further away (say 15 minute walk) is Burns Park. It's residential, and somewhat upscale (lots of tenured faculty live there). Kid-friendly. Despite the upscale feel, there are a lot of rentals.. I used to live there, and paid 1800 a month for a three bedroom house.
-For economic and demographic reasons, I would be wary about buying any real estate in Michigan any time soon, although AA may be somewhat immune from this.
-aside from craigslist, one web site to search for rentals is www.mlive.com (click real estate)
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 06:48
armycamel wrote:
Is the Ross Leadership Initiative their version of the Orientation? Or is there a separate MBA1 Orientation?

As far as I can tell, RLI is the formal orientation. More info:

http://www.bus.umich.edu/rli/Programs.htm
Intern
Intern
Schools: ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2009, 20:58
Add me here; 2nd R admitted
Hope to meet all of you at AA

Fight Force For Future

Current Student
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 01:22
I am also an admitt to Ross. I would like to go to the GBR but I think I will not make it. Do you know where the people stays during GBR? (with current students, hotel, etc...)

Also, I would like to know whether in the binder there is extra information or everything is in the admitt portal.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross, Broad

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:25
Hi everyone! I am R2 admit. Is anyone going to the admitted students reception in NYC on March 19th?
Intern
Intern
Schools: ROSS(Accepted) CBS-J

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 08:13
When does the deposit have to be in for Round 2 people?

Thanks!

Fight Force For Future

Intern
Intern
Schools: Ross (accepted), Booth (waitlist), McCombs (withdrawn)

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 11:56
I'll be heading to GBR too!

I'm actually taking the Megabus from Chicago to Ann Arbor, it was something like $20.50 round trip, so its a great deal.

let me know if you guys are interested, and I can post my trip details, and we can get a crew headed up to AA together!
- sharad
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 07:18
Ok my gf and I are in for GBR. See you guys there!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 07:55
ib2150 wrote:
Hi everyone! I am R2 admit. Is anyone going to the admitted students reception in NYC on March 19th?

I'll be there! Are you making the trip up from Philly?
Re: Admitted to Michigan (Ross) Class of 2011 Thread!   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2009, 07:55