Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 18:18
Did any of you guys do the Texas MBA Day program that they offer? What's included in the day, and do you think it's a much better option than a regular day class visit?

I'm trying to weigh the options for visiting. I could only get into the MBA Day on Jan 29th when I registered a little before the holidays. I'm praying I will get an interview invite soon, and if I do, I'd like to visit and do the interview on campus. But schedule-wise it would work better for me to visit earlier, which would limit me to a class visit.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs School of Business

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 19:20
swank6 wrote:
Did any of you guys do the Texas MBA Day program that they offer? What's included in the day, and do you think it's a much better option than a regular day class visit?

I did the Texas MBA Day back in the fall and would say it's MUCH better than a regular class visit. They sat all of us (about 70 people) in a big room and then had multiple speakers come in and talk and answer questions. You get to hear from the dean, professors, career service office, admissions office, and 1st and 2nd yr students. They provided lunch and took us on a campus tour led by a 2nd yr. For me, I came away from it with a better understanding of McCombs and as a result became much more excited about the program. You also get to meet a lot of other applicants which is fun. (I am comparing my expereince at the Texas MBA Day with 3 class visits/campus tours at other schools.)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Texas, Rice, Mays
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 07:01
Does anyone know the class hours M-F?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 07:08
I don't know if I did the "Texas MBA Day," but I interviewed in the morning, then a whole group of us met for lunch, did a tour, and then there was an info session. I enjoyed lunch a lot because it was a great opportunity to speak to current students (and there were def a lot there), but to be honest the info session was almost identical to the information session I went to in New York. If you've already done a Texas event where you live, I would skip the info session and go to a class. If you haven't seen their slideshow yet, then the info session is probably worth while.
Current Student
Schools: McCombs Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 07:47
elcapitan wrote:
Does anyone know the class hours M-F?

I was looking at the Spring 2010 course schedule over the break. Generally, it looks like most classes meet two days a week (MW or TTh) between 8am - 5pm. Here's the GREAT news, most classes only meet Mon-Thurs! There were a few classes that meet after 5pm or on Fri, but it looks like these usually meet only one day a week for 3 hours.

To see the class listings log into UT Direct with your EID at https://utdirect.utexas.edu/utdirect/index.WBX then search for "course schedule".

Also, course descriptions and syllabuses can be found at http://mba.mccombs.utexas.edu/students/ ... ourses.asp
Manager
Manager
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 12:24
I just realized I accidentally posted my MBA Day question here instead of the applicant thread. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I did go to an MBA Fair where Texas was in attendance, and I spoke with an adcom rep, but I haven't seen a full info presentation.
Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs School of Business

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 18:16
Has anyone received the admitted student package or heard about scholarhips yet?
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan Class of 2012

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 18:26
I received a letter only and a package to my parents telling them about a dorm at UT... Too bad i've been out of the house for 10 years now. I sent an email to The admissions office asking about scholarships but haven't heard anything.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 18:39
Expert's post
USMCCommO wrote:
I received a letter only and a package to my parents telling them about a dorm at UT... Too bad i've been out of the house for 10 years now. I sent an email to The admissions office asking about scholarships but haven't heard anything.

Are you saying you are too old for dorms? If I went to McCombs I'd definitely try to hit up Jester or Moorehill, making napping between classes much easier ;)

Diversity

Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan Class of 2012

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 18:57
Not necessarily too old... but the wife and dog might not appreciate it.

I just found it amusing to receive a letter that said: "To the parents or guardian of USMCCOMMO"
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 19:06
Expert's post
on a more serious note. I would try to inquiry about the graduate student housing. My SO had graduate housing (apartment) on 6th street across from the green belt with very cheap rent. It's quiet and safe, albeit, a bit old and run down.

Diversity

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT, UCLA, Texas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 20:14
USMCCommO wrote:

Posted from my mobile device Image

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about scholarships either. Seems like no one else on this board has heard yet.
goose wrote:
Has anyone received the admitted student package or heard about scholarhips yet?

I think the admitted student packages are being sent out this week. Don't remember where I read that, but I thought I saw that somewhere.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 06:12
Can anyone familiar with Austin tell me a bit about areas that have good schools...now that I am in, I can start worrying about my two middle-schoolers (not your typical dilemma:)). Any input appreciated!
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 06:27
goose wrote:

I received the admitted student package yesterday, it was postmarked 1/8. Nothing about scholarships yet.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT, UCLA, Texas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 06:38
texasorbust wrote:
goose wrote:

I received the admitted student package yesterday, it was postmarked 1/8. Nothing about scholarships yet.

is the admitted package cool? what all is in it? just a bunch of brochures?
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 06:45
asianstyles wrote:
is the admitted package cool? what all is in it? just a bunch of brochures?

Brochure and a "Texas MBA" thumb drive with a bunch of info on it. I haven't really looked at all the content yet.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 06:45
and did it come via u.s. mail, fedex, or ups?

(the mail in new york is so unreliable, I want to know what postal service I should harass if I never get it...)
Expert Post
VP
VP

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 07:07
Expert's post
chicagoan wrote:
Can anyone familiar with Austin tell me a bit about areas that have good schools...now that I am in, I can start worrying about my two middle-schoolers (not your typical dilemma:)). Any input appreciated!

Westlake and westwood are the two top high schools in Austin. I think they are ranking ~100 in the nation by Newsweek. I'm sure their respective feeder middle schools are pretty good as well.

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 07:25
asimov wrote:
chicagoan wrote:

Westlake and westwood are the two top high schools in Austin. I think they are ranking ~100 in the nation by Newsweek. I'm sure their respective feeder middle schools are pretty good as well.

Thanks asimov
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 10:20
smadge37 wrote:
and did it come via u.s. mail, fedex, or ups?

(the mail in new york is so unreliable, I want to know what postal service I should harass if I never get it...)

Priority Mail
Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread!   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2010, 10:20