Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2012!!!
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 08:10
How good is career services at McCombs? Is there sufficient 'case-study interview' preparation given to students? I read in the placement statistics that M/B/B recruit on-campus at Texas. But I guess they pick 2-3 students each from a batch of 260 odd students.

As far as IBs are concerned, do McCombs students need to travel to NYC/Chicago for interviews? Do banks make an effort to fly down to Austin?

Thanks!

ps: I am also open to a PhD in management. Does McCombs provide sufficient preparation to students in mathematics, OR, statistics? Are there any 'advanced classes' for students interested in a PhD?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 08:16
You might PM merkin those questions, LSE. Most people on this thread are in the same position you are: admitted students.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 170
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 13:48
LSEguy wrote:
How good is career services at McCombs? Is there sufficient 'case-study interview' preparation given to students? I read in the placement statistics that M/B/B recruit on-campus at Texas. But I guess they pick 2-3 students each from a batch of 260 odd students.

As far as IBs are concerned, do McCombs students need to travel to NYC/Chicago for interviews? Do banks make an effort to fly down to Austin?

Thanks!

ps: I am also open to a PhD in management. Does McCombs provide sufficient preparation to students in mathematics, OR, statistics? Are there any 'advanced classes' for students interested in a PhD?


I replied to your PM with respect to NY/Chicago. The short answer is that every bank and consulting firm interviews on-campus.

I think career services is very good, particularly the head of CS (Stacy). There a variety of resources to prepare for interviews and recruiting, especially for consulting and banking prep. While it is true that each firm might only hire 1-3 students (per firm), not all 260 are interested in consulting, probably more like 10-15%. McCombs is quite diverse in terms of the desired career paths of the student body so while recruiting is competitive, there are not a huge number of people gunning for each and every spot.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2012!!!
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2011, 21:14
merkin wrote:
LSEguy wrote:
How good is career services at McCombs? Is there sufficient 'case-study interview' preparation given to students? I read in the placement statistics that M/B/B recruit on-campus at Texas. But I guess they pick 2-3 students each from a batch of 260 odd students.

As far as IBs are concerned, do McCombs students need to travel to NYC/Chicago for interviews? Do banks make an effort to fly down to Austin?

Thanks!

ps: I am also open to a PhD in management. Does McCombs provide sufficient preparation to students in mathematics, OR, statistics? Are there any 'advanced classes' for students interested in a PhD?


I replied to your PM with respect to NY/Chicago. The short answer is that every bank and consulting firm interviews on-campus.

I think career services is very good, particularly the head of CS (Stacy). There a variety of resources to prepare for interviews and recruiting, especially for consulting and banking prep. While it is true that each firm might only hire 1-3 students (per firm), not all 260 are interested in consulting, probably more like 10-15%. McCombs is quite diverse in terms of the desired career paths of the student body so while recruiting is competitive, there are not a huge number of people gunning for each and every spot.


Thanks merkin!! 8-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Affiliations: Citi Foundation
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 2
Schools: Mccombs, USC, NYU
WE 1: Citigroup-Citi Investment Research
WE 2: Citigroup-Global Corporate Bank
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 05:17
Hi all! Is it true I need to wait for the scholarship decision before filling out the CFR form required for I-20? I am guessing thats a month's wait till i apply for an I-20 and another till it reaches me :!:

Any body in the same boat?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2012!!!
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:09
Any scholarship news yet guys? Getting some $$$ from Texas will make my life a lot easier. :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 11:31
Hi I am a recent admit to McCombs and I was wondering how collaborative the McCombs community is? I know most schools say they are but clearly some are more cut throat than others and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what the culture is like at McCombs?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 11:48
AJ1 wrote:
Hi I am a recent admit to McCombs and I was wondering how collaborative the McCombs community is? I know most schools say they are but clearly some are more cut throat than others and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what the culture is like at McCombs?

Thanks!


It scores a 9.4 in the Collaborative category of PK Quarterly, for what that's worth.

More seriously, I don't think Texas has a reputation of being cutthroat at all but rather pretty relaxed. I'm sure there will be jerks there as anywhere, but I don't think the system is designed to reward that.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 15:49
Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2012!!!
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 01:42
How good is the placement scenario at Texas as compared to other top schools? I believe McCombs is the only top ranked school in the state of Texas.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Hopeful
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 64
Location: TX
Schools: Harvard R2 - Ding, Stanford R2 - Ding, McCombs R2 - Admit, UNC R3 - Admit
WE 1: Communications
WE 2: Not-for-Profit Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 06:11
Good Morning everyone. I was accepted yesterday. I'm going to register for admit weekend once my access to the 2013 site is working (status changed and still nothing). I hope to see you all there!
_________________

Remember to keep things in perspective. No matter what happens, everything will be just fine. If it does not happen, then it was not meant to be. There is some other great path for you to take. Be Blessed.

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Posts: 65
Schools: Texas '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 18:26
AJ1 wrote:
Hi I am a recent admit to McCombs and I was wondering how collaborative the McCombs community is? I know most schools say they are but clearly some are more cut throat than others and I wanted to know if anyone knew about what the culture is like at McCombs?

Thanks!


McCombs is a very collaborative culture. People are always willing to help. Academically; I’ve both received help from classmates and have helped classmates. I’ve been able to get contact information for employers from students who are competing for the same positions. I’ve also had students who’ve interviewed for positions a few hours before me fill me in on what to expect. The 2nd years have been a great resource as well.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2012!!!
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 22:14
Any scholarship news from McCombs people?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: 2012!!!
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 193
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 22:16
Any scholarship news from McCombs people?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Hopeful
Joined: 30 Mar 2010
Posts: 64
Location: TX
Schools: Harvard R2 - Ding, Stanford R2 - Ding, McCombs R2 - Admit, UNC R3 - Admit
WE 1: Communications
WE 2: Not-for-Profit Management
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 06:22
Just an FYI for my soon to be classmates. AT&T Executive Conference center is out of rooms for March 31st, but does have some left in the block for April 1st. Looks like I'll be at the DoubleTree. Anyone know if it is feasible to walk to McCombs from the DoubleTree? Thanks.

Scott
_________________

Remember to keep things in perspective. No matter what happens, everything will be just fine. If it does not happen, then it was not meant to be. There is some other great path for you to take. Be Blessed.


Last edited by Impalpable on 28 Feb 2011, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 07:01
Impalpable wrote:
Just an FYI for my soon to be classmates. AT&T Executive Conference center is out of room for March 31st, but does have some left in the block for April 1st. Looks like I'll be at the DoubleTree. Anyone know if it is feasible to walk to McCombs from the DoubleTree? Thanks.

Scott


Google maps has the walk at about 12 minutes. Should be fine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 21:14
Austin is a super walkable city, pretty flat and the weather is great (until summer when its hotter than hell). There are a lot of hotel options downtown, if you are planning on enjoying what Austin has to offer though, I recommend staying near 6th. I recommend making time during your visits to enjoy the live music scene, if you spend two years here then you will definitely get to enjoy it.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 62
Location: California
Schools: McCombs R1 ($$), HBS R1, Stanford R1, Anderson R2, Haas R2
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2011, 14:29
I'm going to 2nd LSEguy's question... has anyone heard about scholarships?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 179
Schools: Indiana, Texas, Emory
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 13:10
Hey guys, I got the call about a week ago so my info hasn't come yet. Can anyone tell me the dates of admitted students weekend?

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Indiana Rd 2 Texas Rd 2 Emory Rd 2

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 62
Location: California
Schools: McCombs R1 ($$), HBS R1, Stanford R1, Anderson R2, Haas R2
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 13:17
Iamnotaprimenumber wrote:
Hey guys, I got the call about a week ago so my info hasn't come yet. Can anyone tell me the dates of admitted students weekend?

Posted from my mobile device Image


It's March 31-April 2nd. There are also a handful of events on Thursday March 30th.
Re: Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread!   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2011, 13:17
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Admitted to UT Austin (McCombs) Class of 2015 Thread! namrta 6 24 Mar 2013, 01:56
1 Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread! amr090 82 12 Feb 2011, 05:41
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2012 Thread! asimov 86 18 Dec 2009, 15:14
4 Texas-Austin (McCombs) Hjort 12 03 Jan 2005, 19:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Admitted to Texas (McCombs) Class of 2013 Thread!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 83 posts ] 

Moderator: threestripes



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.