Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 03:16
globalcitizen wrote:
Does anyone know what Re Vera checks for? Do they only verify your current employment?

I'm not sure the extent of what they verify but I do know that they verify your salary/employment going all the way back and not just current. They got in touch with me to obtain a letter from my former employer and wanted my starting salary stated in the letter.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder - Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 07:57
staind wrote:
globalcitizen wrote:
Does anyone know what Re Vera checks for? Do they only verify your current employment?

I'm not sure the extent of what they verify but I do know that they verify your salary/employment going all the way back and not just current. They got in touch with me to obtain a letter from my former employer and wanted my starting salary stated in the letter.

Thanks, Staind! That is probably what will happen to me if they try to get a hold of my former employers (very difficult to get a hold of through the general company number).
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 22:40
Any Singapore based admits? Let's get together before we are off to school...
PM me your email then I can loop everybody together :)
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 22:29
pslu wrote:
Any Singapore based admits? Let's get together before we are off to school...
PM me your email then I can loop everybody together :)

I'm not there anymore but was there a few weeks back and met up with the alumni group out there - really fun bunch! You might also try reaching out on the facebook group for our class - there are probably more admits active on there than on here!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 22:44
oh yeah~ just got in touch with one alumni who has the admits list...they gonna hold another penn drinks in sg soon!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2011, 22:47
pslu wrote:
oh yeah~ just got in touch with one alumni who has the admits list...they gonna hold another penn drinks in sg soon!

awesome!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 12:44
anyone received confirmation on completion of re-vera background check?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 13:14
gracey wrote:

No, and I am just slightly concerned about this because I submitted mine on April 2nd. I'll give it another week before I actually worry. When did you submit your release?
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 13:21
submitted mine on April 4th - did a couple back and forth with re-vera to clarify employment contact info, etc. but haven't heard anything from them since. I know that my hr person has given all the info to them. so not sure what the hold up is.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 23:44
teabiscuit wrote:
gracey wrote:

No, and I am just slightly concerned about this because I submitted mine on April 2nd. I'll give it another week before I actually worry. When did you submit your release?

I started the verification process in Jan and received confirmation only earlier this month.. you won't actually get confirmation from Re Vera.. you'll get an email from Wharton saying that the process is completed and they do it in batches because I know at least one other person from Round 1 who got the confirmation same time as me.. its probable just another items on the ad com checklist and its probably low down on the priority list for them. Considering it took nearly 3 months for them to confirm in our case.. I wouldn't be too worried if you don't hear from them for a while. Im pretty sure Re Vera was done much before I got the Wharton confirmation because I had emails going back and forth with Re Vera regarding things they needed from me and they kind of implied they were done at the end of our email exchanges.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 04:57
staind wrote:
teabiscuit wrote:
gracey wrote:

I started the verification process in Jan and received confirmation only earlier this month.. you won't actually get confirmation from Re Vera.. you'll get an email from Wharton saying that the process is completed and they do it in batches because I know at least one other person from Round 1 who got the confirmation same time as me.. its probable just another items on the ad com checklist and its probably low down on the priority list for them. Considering it took nearly 3 months for them to confirm in our case.. I wouldn't be too worried if you don't hear from them for a while. Im pretty sure Re Vera was done much before I got the Wharton confirmation because I had emails going back and forth with Re Vera regarding things they needed from me and they kind of implied they were done at the end of our email exchanges.

Good to know. Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 04:14
Thanks Staind! very helpful.

For NY admits---are you guys planning on attending the NY admit reception this friday?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2013
WE 1: 2y bb ib
WE 2: 2y Mid market PE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 13:46
Does anyone know what the timing is for loans (private or government)? At what point do we apply for them and at what point do they get funded?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 11:39
Jmw125 wrote:
Does anyone know what the timing is for loans (private or government)? At what point do we apply for them and at what point do they get funded?

I think private loans should be available in the end of May/beginning of June until late July - not sure about federal loans.

Loans should get funded in August/September. Again, I'm not 100% sure, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 11:42
Perfect007 wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

I think private loans should be available in the end of May/beginning of June until late July - not sure about federal loans.

Loans should get funded in August/September. Again, I'm not 100% sure, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Started looking into this a bit more today (and actually built out a model to compare some of the loans...i'm a nerd). i think i'm going to target mid june for applying for loans (they get funded directly to school). from what i've looked at, if you can get a good rate (with a good co-signer), the private loans will end up being much cheaper than the gov't loans (unless you have a view that LIBOR or Prime are going up by 400-500 bps in the near term)...
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 11:59
Jmw125 wrote:
Perfect007 wrote:
Jmw125 wrote:

Started looking into this a bit more today (and actually built out a model to compare some of the loans...i'm a nerd). i think i'm going to target mid june for applying for loans (they get funded directly to school). from what i've looked at, if you can get a good rate (with a good co-signer), the private loans will end up being much cheaper than the gov't loans (unless you have a view that LIBOR or Prime are going up by 400-500 bps in the near term)...

A model? Nice. Which banks are you looking at? DCU, Citibank?

From what I read it varies from 3% to 11%, it's a wide range depending on credit score. I agree that we should be fine with a good co-signer.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 12:03
Perfect007 wrote:

A model? Nice. Which banks are you looking at? DCU, Citibank?

From what I read it varies from 3% to 11%, it's a wide range depending on credit score. I agree that we should be fine with a good co-signer.

Looked at Citi (low rates), Discover (2% graduation bonus), and Sallie Mae loans (with and without paying interest while in school). Think the Sallie Mae loans make the most sense. Would like Discover, but they don't let you get co-signers off of the loan ever...Citi and Sallie Mae do after 24 and 12 months of consecutive on time payments, respectively.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 14:06
Thanks for the input. I've contacted Citibank student loans a few days ago asking for the specific rates but I was told that I had to fill out the forms and complete the whole application before they can calculate the exact rates based on my credit score and on my co-signer's.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 11:02
Hi- did anyone receive any communications from SFS on next steps in loan applications? I submitted my FAFSA a while back but have not heard anything from SFS. Also, I thought we're supposed to receive pre-term communications from Wharton but I have yet to receive anything.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread [#permalink] New post 24 May 2011, 13:08
gracey wrote:
Hi- did anyone receive any communications from SFS on next steps in loan applications? I submitted my FAFSA a while back but have not heard anything from SFS. Also, I thought we're supposed to receive pre-term communications from Wharton but I have yet to receive anything.

Hi. I haven't received anything either. Good question.
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2013 Thread   [#permalink] 24 May 2011, 13:08