Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 02:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 03:46
Yeah, I got a request for my W2 and pay stubs because my current employer does not provide that info. I am glad that it is moving forward, at least.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 00:55
jjright wrote:
hey guys,
just received my pennkey. I created an account but for some reason, I couldnt access e-mail.

Did you try here? http://apps.wharton.upenn.edu/accounts/early/index.cfm

I assume you are an R1 admit? I am R2 and haven't gotten my Penn Key yet.

Any R2-ers get their PennKeys?
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 11:56
Thanks Neptune :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 12:11
jjright wrote:

When you get a chance, I'd love to know how far that lets you go in setting up our accounts. Would love to send out my future email address before I leave work...
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 14:39
neptune wrote:
jjright wrote:

When you get a chance, I'd love to know how far that lets you go in setting up our accounts. Would love to send out my future email address before I leave work...

It "works" immediately. It acts as a forwarding address until they completely activate it later in the summer.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 04:58
Zoinnk, I might have missed your post, but would you mind telling why you chose Wharton over HBS? I'm just curious ;-) Both schools are excellent but very few would be brave enough to go against crowd and rankings.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 13:08
garbus222 wrote:
Zoinnk, I might have missed your post, but would you mind telling why you chose Wharton over HBS? I'm just curious ;-) Both schools are excellent but very few would be brave enough to go against crowd and rankings.

He did that? Good man, Zonnik! :-D

To be honest, reputation set aside, I wouldn't have been as happy at HBS as at Wharton, simply because I don't like case based classes.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Director
Director

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 14:18
Audio wrote:
garbus222 wrote:

He did that? Good man, Zonnik! :-D

To be honest, reputation set aside, I wouldn't have been as happy at HBS as at Wharton, simply because I don't like case based classes.

I did. A bunch of reasons, mostly personal and mostly anti-HBS (pre-emptive apologies to those matriculating into HBS):

1. I did my undergrad at Harvard. Beyond the dual Harvard/Harvard degree on my resume, I think going to different schools is good from a personal growth perspective. Even just challenging myself with the lack of familiarity and break from routine will be nice.

2. Relatedly, I've been living in Boston since Sept 1998. I need a change of scenery.

3. Age. I'm on the older end of the HBS spectrum (29 at matriculation). I have a few undergrad classmates at HBS right now, and they all say that the age difference is noticeable both socially and academically. From what I've extracted from them, the students at HBS are just at a less mature stage in their lives than those at Wharton. Socially, a lot of the younger students feel the need to go out every night, get offended if they're not invited to parties, etc. Similarly, in the classroom, my understanding is that some students lack the professional polish that an extra 2-3 (or more) years of work experience brings.

4. Again, relatedly, I have been hard-pressed to find any friends (whose opinions I respect) who went to HBS and enjoyed their experience. Said more bluntly, I don't have a single friend who ended up at HBS and were happy. The common thread about the experience is that the relationships built during their time at HBS skewed toward the superficial side. An anecdote that highlights this theme: Last year, I met a college classmate and 2nd-year HBSer for drinks. We were not particularly close in college, mostly mutual friends, and we mostly talked about HBS and b school admissions that night. Her summary of her time at HBS was, "Our conversation tonight has been more meaningful and interesting than any conversation I've had with my classmates."

5. Healthcare focus. I will be a healthcare management major at Wharton, which has arguably the #1 healthcare MBA program in the US. HBS, on the other hand, just started their healthcare initiative and only offers a few classes specifically on healthcare management.

Put all of these together, and the scale tips towards Wharton's favor. In my mind, the difference b/w an HBS and a Wharton MBA is negligible. I don't see any doors closed for me if I get my MBA at Wharton rather than HBS, especially since I already have a Harvard on my resume. Thus, I chose Wharton for fit over "just because it's HBS."

Note: In my diligence on the two schools, Wharton did not suffer from #3 and #4 or, at least, did not suffer as badly.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2009, 17:57
Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. And, I must admit, I'm impressed with your independent thinking. I absolutely agree that you'll have same opportunities at both Wharton and HBS so there is no really any great difference. And probably you'll have better time at Wharton as you've honestly answered what you want.

Was Dee shocked once you told her this? ;-) I guess she's not used to this type of message ;-)

zoinnk wrote:
Put all of these together, and the scale tips towards Wharton's favor. In my mind, the difference b/w an HBS and a Wharton MBA is negligible. I don't see any doors closed for me if I get my MBA at Wharton rather than HBS, especially since I already have a Harvard on my resume. Thus, I chose Wharton for fit over "just because it's HBS."

Note: In my diligence on the two schools, Wharton did not suffer from #3 and #4 or, at least, did not suffer as badly.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 07:34
Hah, woke up today in a great mood. It just started sinking in: I can't believe I'm a matriculated Wharton student!!!

Happy days to come my friends! Looking forward to meeting all of you.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 07:39
I have received an email from Kroll saying that I successfully passed the verification. It does feel good! I was expecting an email from Wharton and not Kroll. Is that what R1 Admit got?

Also for those who wonder, the Wharton application website is showing transcript and GMAT status, now. Mine said Received (Not official). I was confused so I called the Admission Office and that what will be shown if you have uploaded your transcripts during the application but they have not received the official one yet.
Current Student

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 07:40
jjright wrote:
Hah, woke up today in a great mood. It just started sinking in: I can't believe I'm a matriculated Wharton student!!!

Happy days to come my friends! Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Looking forward to that as well!! Who is coming the Admit Week-end? I am planning to be in Philly by 5PM tomorrow
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 08:23
Zonik, I'm very impressed with your thought process. I fully agree with you about the age factor, which IMO is crucial. I see that every day in class (the ones I go to anyway), and in school life in general. I know it's an old forum debate, but I stick to my guns: younger guys ON AVERAGE (let's not start the generalisation debate here) make less interesting / relevant comments; plus there is this maturity gap in the everyday discussion that can be felt. I'm sure they'll be brilliant employees, but we're just not at the same stage in life - which is perfectly normal btw. And this comes from a guy who loves to party and go out as much as possible. I do hope this doesn't sound too judgmental because it's not the purpose.

Unfortunately ,Wharton has started trending younger too. It's not (hopefully never) going to be as bad as at HBS, but still there is a trend there (and I really am pissed off about this; maybe because I'll be almost 32 at matriculation?? :-D ). Your class should still be fine, but in 5 or 10 years this might change.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 08:24
I'm so pissed off I'm missing admit weekend! :x It's going to be tremendous! Especially the Zeebar party (on Saturday I think), you guys should like that one... :twisted: Not saying anything more!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 08:42
God I wish I were an admit right now, what a great feeling that was!

I'll talk more about this, but let me give you a good piece of advice: party and go out as much as you can during pre-term. Pre-term is basically an excuse for a social gathering. Unless you're completely clueless in financial stuff and math (you're a lawyer for example), pre-term should be more than a breeze; it's the only time where you will have nothing to do at all, so take advantage of it because you'll miss that period SO MUCH afterward.

I still remember my summer in Philly: great weather, drinks every night, soccer games 3 times per week, it was terrific...

Director
Director

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 09:00
Audio wrote:
Zonik, I'm very impressed with your thought process. I fully agree with you about the age factor, which IMO is crucial. I see that every day in class (the ones I go to anyway), and in school life in general. I know it's an old forum debate, but I stick to my guns: younger guys ON AVERAGE (let's not start the generalisation debate here) make less interesting / relevant comments; plus there is this maturity gap in the everyday discussion that can be felt. I'm sure they'll be brilliant employees, but we're just not at the same stage in life - which is perfectly normal btw. And this comes from a guy who loves to party and go out as much as possible. I do hope this doesn't sound too judgmental because it's not the purpose.

Unfortunately ,Wharton has started trending younger too. It's not (hopefully never) going to be as bad as at HBS, but still there is a trend there (and I really am pissed off about this; maybe because I'll be almost 32 at matriculation?? :-D ). Your class should still be fine, but in 5 or 10 years this might change.

I just met up with the Boston admits last night, and the night couldn't have reinforced my decision more. Having gone to a few HBS parties and having hung out with these guys, the age difference was very noticeable. I can't wait for this weekend!

On a side note, I think people on this forum would be surprised how many people choose Wharton over HBS. There were a few Boston admits who also made this decision.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 09:15
zoinnk wrote:
I just met up with the Boston admits last night, and the night couldn't have reinforced my decision more. Having gone to a few HBS parties and having hung out with these guys, the age difference was very noticeable. I can't wait for this weekend!

On a side note, I think people on this forum would be surprised how many people choose Wharton over HBS. There were a few Boston admits who also made this decision.

On a sort of related note, it was excellent to finally meet you zoinnk. If you had decided to come to HBS, I probably would've picked your brain constantly. You definitely escaped that by going to Wharton.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2009, 23:33
zoinnk wrote:

zoink many congratulations on this reflective decision. Many folks do not actually realise that people actually do say no to HBS. Student bodies are getting increasingly self selecting - a granddad at HBS would be just normal at Wharton, Booth or LBS (I myself am 29). I know a few folks with a similar sort of self awareness who gave up HBS for LBS (where their preferences were for greater internaitonal diversity and older peer group).

You will have a great time at Wharton. All the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2009, 11:06
Hi all -- have any R2 admits received their PennKey yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 01:37
8203ny wrote:
Hi all -- have any R2 admits received their PennKey yet?

Yes. Sounds like they have started to go out for those that paid their deposit soon after they got in.
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011!   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2009, 01:37