Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 15:05
billyjean..the first thing..I spent over 6 months on my HBS essays and Wharton essays..i spent 2 weeks on my Kellogg and NYU essays..so take your time to analyze your essays..even though i applied to HBS and Wharton in round 3..I worked on these essays first..this is when terp26 was applying to Wharton..so you can imagine..I read, re-read my essays..had 2 consultants evaluate em..and they didnt find anything to comment on em..thats when i was sure i had nothing more to add to those essays. ..

but most importantly..i think, it was my choice of recommenders.. for my Kellogg and NYU apps i just didnt bother asking my no.1 choice recommenders for these schools..cuz they are extremely busy and i really wanted to use my best shot for Wharton and HBS.. and it worked.. contrary to popular belief..get your CEO to write a letter if its possible..names and title and influence matters..BIG TIME!

I think interview is HUGELY important at HBS..I really think that I came out in the interview.. I've read that HBS interviews wont get you in..but they can keep you out..well i feel in my case it got me in..i interviewed with an adcom and I really prepared well for it..(thanks to HBSguru) same thing goes for Wharton..I opted to be interviewed on campus and made a specific request that I be interviewed by an adcom and not a student... I will tell you this..they usually dont do it but I was lucky that they accommodated my request..

if you want more PM me..

billyjeans wrote:
FN wrote:
falibay wrote:
They will send the form that you sign, which authorizes them to request salary and stuff. Many companies don't allow that, mine included. In that case, Kroll will request pay stub/W2 to prove your income. I had to go through that but that was fairly easy

Thanks..

any of you guys apply for the fellowships? my deadline is June 11th..so i am thinking i need to act quick to apply for those fellowships..

FN, would you post your strategies/changes made after your previous rounds of dings with us? What have you adjusted and what have you done different? I think they will really help our fellow applicants. Thanks, much appreciated it.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 15:28
FN you should change your profile to Wharton 11 not 10. Any reason you dont want to defer for a year and go to HBS...its not like the current employment market is stellar.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 15:47
is Wharton that bad? LOL ..I really am in a pickle..I just dont want to wait a year..I will go nuts! cuz i am pretty sure i cant concentrate at work..so I figured wharton this year might be a decent option.. what ya think?

riverripper wrote:
FN you should change your profile to Wharton 11 not 10. Any reason you dont want to defer for a year and go to HBS...its not like the current employment market is stellar.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2009, 18:29
Personally I didn't care for either Wharton or HBS, I dont see a huge issue but lots of folks who want the HBS stamp would wait. I guess it depends on your goals and what you want for a timeline.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2009, 13:42
I learned this recently in the Chicago thread and so I'm curious to see if this is true for Wharton as well. (Congrats, by the way, FN, on a stellar accomplishment with your admits.)

Does Wharton have a set of second deposit deadlines and if so what are they?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 13:58
So here is what I understand of the steps required for matriculation:

1) Matriculation FORM
2) $1500 deposit
3) Verification Process
4) Mail in official Undergrad Transcripts

Since pre-term registration begins on May26th..I am assuming this all needs to happen for me in a weeks time..I dont have the pennkey yet!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton, Haas, Anderson, Booth, Kellogg MMM, Stanford
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 14:18
You don't need PennKey for the initial matriculation steps.The verification process can start before the deposit is paid. Just fill out the simple Kroll forms. Don't forget to have your official GMAT scores sent if you haven't done that already. For a shot at any of the fellowship money, you'll need to make sure you fill out the NeedAccess forms, complete FAFSA, and write the 500 word essay. I don't know the deadlines for your round.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2009, 14:24
FN wrote:
Since pre-term registration begins on May26th..I am assuming this all needs to happen for me in a weeks time..I dont have the pennkey yet!

Of course you don't have the Penn key yet, it comes much later in the process. intill then you have to complete all the steps you stated. In addition, you have to complete needaccess.org form, which is required of every admitted student. With this form completed you have to send them 1 page resume and the answer on the most stupid question on Earth: "Why do you need money?" (not to exceed 500 words).

Basicly, that would be it... Oh, yes, You have to send them salary confirmation and bank receipt. If you are NOT an international student then you have to send them W2. Yes, the deadline is pretty tight so you have to speed up. Nevertheless, try the forum forum for admitted students - prospero forums or something like that... Overthere you'll find some extremely usefull instructions and clarifications.

By the way, congratulations on the admit!

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 19:28
Thanks pathfinder_77 what are these forums you are referring to? are they on the welcome/admit portal ?

Pathfinder_77 wrote:
FN wrote:

Of course you don't have the Penn key yet, it comes much later in the process. intill then you have to complete all the steps you stated. In addition, you have to complete needaccess.org form, which is required of every admitted student. With this form completed you have to send them 1 page resume and the answer on the most stupid question on Earth: "Why do you need money?" (not to exceed 500 words).

Basicly, that would be it... Oh, yes, You have to send them salary confirmation and bank receipt. If you are NOT an international student then you have to send them W2. Yes, the deadline is pretty tight so you have to speed up. Nevertheless, try the forum forum for admitted students - prospero forums or something like that... Overthere you'll find some extremely usefull instructions and clarifications.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 20 May 2009, 19:34
found it..E talk forum..did you ever get a group activation code in email? I dont recall receiving any..

Pathfinder_77 wrote:
FN wrote:

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 04:03
Yes, that's the one. Group activation code? If I can recall it, we received it in the first mail after the admit, but it's kind of hidden :) Reason you overlooked it (I did it too) will be obvious for you. I'll send it in the PM.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 05:14
Congrats guys! I hope to join you at Wharton next fall.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 21:48
Expert's post
FN wrote:
I am IN... got an email to check my status and I am in..i filled out the matriculation form confirming my intention to attend. Anyone know how soon I will get the pennkey access? I opted to mail the deposit..will i get the Kroll package after they receive the deposit?

Congrats!!! Sorry, I missed this news but better later than never :wink: It is great!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 02:23
You lucky bastards, I would love to be in your position once again: pre-term, sunshine, loads of soccer and drinking, trips, block parties, housewarmings, great memories... Mark my words: you'll be saying exactly the same thing in a year now! :-D

Couple of tips about pre-term: don't stress too much about classes in pre-term if you know the stuff already (for example you have an economics of financial background, CFA, etc), you'll do fine. Instead, travel a lot, party, and in general have fun (US Open end of August!). It is a truly stress-free period where everyone (including those who want to get on the directors list) should be enjoying the great weather and socializing, either by playing sports, going to a baseball game or going to the pub. Partying and socializing in general in pre-term is the best way to get to know your entire class, especially in the beginning when everybody will be going out (once the serious stuff starts some people will tone down). I made a lot of friends like that.

Don't forget that one of the main values of your MBA is the friendships and networking you'll build. If the only thing you do is go to classes and then go home, your MBA will have much less value than another person who managed to build a solid network. At the end of the day we're all human and we all want to work with people we get along with.

Anyway, as cheesy as this can sound, I'm looking forward to the new year and meeting the new recruits! (especially the Gmatters).

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2009, 08:10
walker wrote:
FN wrote:
I am IN... got an email to check my status and I am in..i filled out the matriculation form confirming my intention to attend. Anyone know how soon I will get the pennkey access? I opted to mail the deposit..will i get the Kroll package after they receive the deposit?

Congrats!!! Sorry, I missed this news but better later than never :wink: It is great!

Thanks Walker...I couldnt have done it without your help!
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 13:13
I would like to have some input from current students (especially those with a business/finance background) about waiving classes (I am now in the process of registering for pre-term).

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 17:57
Paradosso wrote:
I would like to have some input from current students (especially those with a business/finance background) about waiving classes (I am now in the process of registering for pre-term).

Thanks!

General rule of thumb: waive anything and everything that you possibly can. Definitely try to waive out of Management of People at Work a.k.a. MANPAW, and Managerial Economics or MGEC: they may both be interesting subjects, but I at times felt I was wasting time -- a whole lot of time!

One may not waive out of Ethics at Wharton, but even if you were allowed to do so I would advice against doing so because it is a truly cool course; if you're lucky you'll get Pr. Donaldson - he is super good at what he does.

If you understand accounting, but cannot completely waive out of Financial Accounting either by credentials or by exam, try to at least take accelerated ACCT with Peggy Bishop Lane in the first semester - people enjoy her class a lot.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 18:03
There will be an informal get together for Wharton admits in San Francisco this week Thursday (June 11) A bunch of alums and second years will be there to share a beer and answer any questions you may have about the school and life at Wharton in general - this should be a cool opportunity to network.

PM me for details, and I will definitely see you there.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 09:53
anyone taken the math waiver test yet?