Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Wharton, Booth, Stern
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 01:01
xerox wrote:
Paradosso wrote:
I would like to have some input from current students (especially those with a business/finance background) about waiving classes (I am now in the process of registering for pre-term).

Thanks!

General rule of thumb: waive anything and everything that you possibly can. Definitely try to waive out of Management of People at Work a.k.a. MANPAW, and Managerial Economics or MGEC: they may both be interesting subjects, but I at times felt I was wasting time -- a whole lot of time!

One may not waive out of Ethics at Wharton, but even if you were allowed to do so I would advice against doing so because it is a truly cool course; if you're lucky you'll get Pr. Donaldson - he is super good at what he does.

If you understand accounting, but cannot completely waive out of Financial Accounting either by credentials or by exam, try to at least take accelerated ACCT with Peggy Bishop Lane in the first semester - people enjoy her class a lot.

Hmmm, waiving everything you can is an option, although there are downsides to it. I wouldn't waive too much, but both approaches are valid in function of your objectives.

However, I FULLY agree with waiving MANPAW, the worst class I have had since primary school.

As for advanced accounting, beware: I'm a CFA level 3 candidate, so while not being a superstar in accounting, I do know a bit about it. Advanced accounting is really tough. Only do it if you're really good at it - the teacher is fantastic by the way, and it's true that people who are good at accounting (I'm not one of them) loved her class. The problem is that basic accounting is much easier - there is no intermediate level.

Finally, ethics with Donaldson is easily one of the best classes on the first year at Wharton.

Wharton admits, join the rugby team!! It'll be by far the best experience of your MBA life

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 17:05
Here I am after a while, I've just came back from Wharton's first day of the pre term. It was a huge party, school and students are really, really impressive.

Wish you all the best in the incomming year, folks.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 2

Re: Admitted to Wharton Class of 2011! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2009, 18:37
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15