Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1462 [71]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [18]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [7]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1462 [0]
Send PM
Re: Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups [#permalink]
why does the odor INHIBITS the interest? this passage reads: it is the odor that STIMULATES the interest...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
stevegt wrote:
Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups will start to show maternal behaviors after being confined with a pup for about seven days. This period can be considerably shortened by disabling the female's sense of smell or by removing the scent-producing glands of the pup.

Which of the following hypotheses best explains the contrast described above?

(A) The sense of smell in adult female rats is more acute than that in rat pups.
(B) The amount of scent produced by rat pups increases when they are in the presence of a female rat that did not bear them.
(C) Female rats that have given birth are more affected by olfactory cues than are female rats that have never given birth.
(D) A female rat that has given birth shows maternal behavior toward rat pups that she did not bear more quickly than does a female rat that has never given birth.
(E) The development of a female rat's maternal interest in a rat pup that she did not bear is inhibited by the odor of the pup.

E.

We need something to connect the two statements above. This connection preferably needs to be explained by an odor given off by the pups. This odor or scent has something to do with why the females do not show maternal behavior for at least seven days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [0]
Send PM
stevegt wrote:
why does the odor INHIBITS the interest? this passage reads: it is the odor that STIMULATES the interest...

The author never says that odor stimulates the interest...may be the interest was developed by something else(cute rats may be)...but this interest is affected by the odor in an adverse manner.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
stevegt wrote:

you are mentally filling in the wrong gaps for this question without realizing it. The test takers employ psychologists and all sorts of PhD's just for this reason. nowhere did it say odor stimulates interest.

yes, common sense and experience tells us the odor stimulates interest if the rat pup is the actual offspring of the mommy rat. your brain filled in this gap for you, which is why you got it wrong. The question was designed just for this purpose.

the stimulus tells us that odor inhibits maternal instincts if it isn't the rats actual child. over time, a rat will take care offspring that isn't hers. take the odor or the ability to smell away, and it will do it quicker. which is why E is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
does anyone think that "the period" stands for "seven days", like me ?

when I read this question, I am totally mess because I cannot understand the logic of the prompt , if shorten "seven days", then damage the link between smell and odor.

while E states that no odor, no maternal behavior.

what a poor verbal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Hi everyone. I understand how E connects both statements from the passage, and how other answer choices are unsatisfactory.

However, can someone help me understand why I should not be bothered by the following:

If, according to E, the development of a female rat's maternal interest is inhibited by the odor, then how does one explain that after being confined with a pup for about seven days it starts showing maternal behavior?
My feeling is that in science, and in English in general, the meaning of the verb "to inhibit" is quite strict. So unless the rat's sense of smell is disable / the scent-producing glands of the pup are removed, there should be no development of maternal interest whatsoever.

Thanks for your help!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hadrienlbb wrote:
Hi everyone. I understand how E connects both statements from the passage, and how other answer choices are unsatisfactory.

However, can someone help me understand why I should not be bothered by the following:

If, according to E, the development of a female rat's maternal interest is inhibited by the odor, then how does one explain that after being confined with a pup for about seven days it starts showing maternal behavior?
My feeling is that in science, and in English in general, the meaning of the verb "to inhibit" is quite strict. So unless the rat's sense of smell is disable / the scent-producing glands of the pup are removed, there should be no development of maternal interest whatsoever.

Thanks for your help!

"Inhibit" can mean to hinder an action or process. For example: "Refrigeration helps to inhibit the growth of bacteria in food." That doesn't mean that refrigeration completely stops the growth of bacteria, but it slows down the process.

Similarly, the odor doesn't STOP the female from developing maternal interest, but it does slow the process (i.e. seven days instead of less than seven days).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I cannot understand the question itself...what exactly is the contrast described?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
DurgeshNandini wrote:
I cannot understand the question itself...what exactly is the contrast described?

The passage contrasts two groups of adult female rats who have never encountered rat pups. Rats in these groups are tested to see how long it takes them to develop maternal instincts toward a pup that is confined with them. Here is a breakdown of each group:

Group 1:
  • Normal female rats confined with normal rat pups.
  • Time to show maternal behaviors: "about seven days."

Group 2:
  • Female rats who have had their sense of smell disabled confined with normal rat pups, OR normal female rats placed with rat pups who have had their scent-producing glands removed. In other words, female rats who cannot smell the rat pups.
  • Time to show maternal behaviors: considerably shorter than seven days.

To answer the question, we need to find a hypothesis that explains why the rats in Group 2 take a shorter amount of time to start showing maternal behaviors than the rats in Group 1.

Hopefully that's enough to get you headed in the right direction?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 260 [3]
Given Kudos: 302
Send PM
Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups [#permalink]
Kudos
stevegt wrote:
Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups will start to show maternal behaviors after being confined with a pup for about seven days. This period can be considerably shortened by disabling the female's sense of smell or by removing the scent-producing glands of the pup.

Which of the following hypotheses best explains the contrast described above?

(A) The sense of smell in adult female rats is more acute than that in rat pups.
(B) The amount of scent produced by rat pups increases when they are in the presence of a female rat that did not bear them.
(C) Female rats that have given birth are more affected by olfactory cues than are female rats that have never given birth.
(D) A female rat that has given birth shows maternal behavior toward rat pups that she did not bear more quickly than does a female rat that has never given birth.
(E) The development of a female rat's maternal interest in a rat pup that she did not bear is inhibited by the odor of the pup.

The contrast is :- Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups will start to show maternal behaviors after being confined with a pup for about seven days. This period can be shortened if adult female rats don't get the smell of the pups.

Option C and D are out because we are talking about the "Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups" in the passage and not "Female rats that have given birth".

"Female rats that have given birth" must have encountered rat pups before. So irrelevant for our discussion.

Option B is also out because it talks about "a female rat that did not bear them." We are talking about the "Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups" in the passage.

"a female rat that did not bear them" may have borne some other pups and may have encountered rat pups and hence irrelevant to our discussion.

Option A does not explain the shortening of the period.

Option E explains and gives a reason stating that "The development of a female rat's maternal interest in a rat pup that she did not bear is inhibited by the odor of the pup."
If the female dont get the odor of the pup , they develop maternal interest quickly.

Option E is the answer.
Please give me kudo s if you liked my explanation.

generis GMATNinja VeritasKarishma chetan2u
Is my explanation correct ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups [#permalink]
I chose (B) thinking of the argument this way

Quote:
As per B - the amount of scent by rat pups increases when adult female rats (that did not bear them) are around these rat pups

So, if you disable the sense of smell, these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) will find it harder to realize they themselves DID NOT produce these rat pups.

Put, another way - these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) will find it harder to figure out if they themselves are the real mother of these cubs or not the real mother of these cubs.

Thus if these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) now might think of these rat pups as their own kids

Given these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) might mistake these rat pups as their own kds -- these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) will obviously show maternal behavior faster.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
jabhatta2 wrote:
I chose (B) thinking of the argument this way

Quote:
As per B - the amount of scent by rat pups increases when adult female rats (that did not bear them) are around these rat pups

So, if you disable the sense of smell, these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) will find it harder to realize they themselves DID NOT produce these rat pups.

Put, another way - these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) will find it harder to figure out if they themselves are the real mother of these cubs or not the real mother of these cubs.

Thus if these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) now might think of these rat pups as their own kids

Given these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) might mistake these rat pups as their own kids -- these adult female rats (that did not bear these rat pups) will obviously show maternal behavior faster.

JDs note -- i think there ARE MANY MANY ASSUMPTION in this
The purples are asumptions that you cannot justify

Just because you happen to be the mother of kids -- will you show maternal instincts faster ? that may be the case for humans but maybe not for rats. One cant say

Also, another mistake is assuming that 'smell' is the way RATS can figure out if they are the mothers of cubs or not. Maybe its not smell that RATS use to figure out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
"Adult female rats who have never before encountered rat pups will start to show maternal behaviors after being confined with a pup for about seven days. This period can be considerably shortened by disabling the female's sense of smell or by removing the scent-producing glands of the pup."

Safe to Infer - SMELL is the connecting link between female rats and pups. And with this sense of small, it takes 7 days for female rat to develop a maternal interest in pup.
Hence, if this SMELL factor be removed, she could develop maternal interest earlier.

Quote:
E.) The development of a female rat's maternal interest in a rat pup that she did not bear is inhibited by the odor of the pup.

This helps in justifying contrast as if there was no odor of pup - her maternal interest would've ignited earlier than 7 days.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Gmat Ninja , Veritas Karishma ,AndrewN can anybody tell Why option B is wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shailendra010786 wrote:
Gmat Ninja , Veritas Karishma ,AndrewN can anybody tell Why option B is wrong?

­(B) tells us that because the rat pups are close to a female rat who is not their mom, they are smellier than they would otherwise be. But that in itself doesn't explain the behavior of the female rats -- why do they act differently when they can smell the pups? Just knowing that the pups are more smelly than usual doesn't give us any hints.

By contrast, (E) tells us exactly why the female rats behave the way they do -- their maternal instinct is inhibited by the smell of the pups. So, when that smell is turned down, they act maternally more quickly.

(B) is out because it doesn't explain the female rats' behavior, and (E) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts