Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
dude [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey.
Everything you vented on the forum mirrors what I went through.
I am in my 4th month of studying. I was loaded up on Concerta and Lexapro. First 2 months I thought I was just stupid. Then thought I had ADD. Now, I have no doubt that I have lots of holes in my approach to the GMAT. Therefore, I got myself a tutor who scored in the 99th percentile. Just like a person who is a gym goer(I used to be a personal trainer), I was using the wrong form and injuring myself. It takes someone who is an expert to see flaws in your thought process.
No matter what I did, I plateaued between a 600 and a 630.
Overstudying without the correct approach to concepts only tires you out.
Now, I study in less time but at a more efficient level. I am taking another practice test next week and I have no doubt that I am floating around a 680 after 1 month of private tutoring. Also, I stopped taking any kinds of medication. A good tutor should be able to see holes in your thought process. In my case, I was reading from too many different sources on how to approach math problems. This inevitably distorted my understanding of the concepts. My tutor told me to not read from any other sources unless he approves of them. It does not take a 99th percentile scorer to make money selling his own GMAT book. So many books are flawed (an approach may work for easy/med questions but not work for hard questions). You want to read from a good source which gives you approaches that are "bullet proof" across all difficulty levels. Only then, will you have extra time to focus on what the GMAT traps are in answer choices. Gifted people can find clarity after reading from many sources, but I'm just not one of them...SO I learned to "K.I.S.S." (keep it simple stupid). The good thing about this test my tutor tells me is that his approach to problems is "bullet proof" enough to bring a person who has an average IQ to a 720-730 on the GMAT. He claims that IQ only matters when you are trying to break the 740/750 barrier. When you have clarity in the concepts...you will become more accurate. Accuracy will naturally drive speed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
compelling story [#permalink]
Kudos
your story is quite similar to mine except that i am not talking any medication for my ADD ( i m frm india & hve no medical insurence yet). i am just drinking excess coffee .i am still scoring in 570's with 4 months of preparation . wanna score in 700's . is it possible ?? what strategies shld i apply for both verbal & quant ? plz help me as i m in the same boat...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Since there is so very much to know for this test, it may be worth your time and money to take the lessons online and do the review with the tutor.
See whether you like the GMAX Online approach by checking out the demo lessons here in the review, and on You Tube. Since you can pause, rewind, and even download the lessons, and since the lessons are taught carefully with a teacher using a whiteboard and teaching directly to you, you may be able to really follow everything being taught. Then, for extra help with the homework problems, the tutor will be invaluable.
Let me know whether this works for you.
Regards, and good luck.
Leanna
Director, GMAX Online
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
For those with extra time [#permalink]
Kudos
For those with Extra time, how have you approached taking practice tests when you cannot alter the amount of time given? Its hard to replicate test-taking conditions. Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Hi boggin,

Not quite sure what you are asking mate ? Are you trying to say that there are not enough actual CATs out there for you to test yourself with your extra time ?

If so, I beg to differ. 2 GmatPreps , 25 Gmat Club Challenges 3-4 Princeton Review tests , 2 Power Prep tests, 5 MGmat tests , and 5 Mcgraw Hill tests are plenty of practice , no matter how much free time you have on your hands (note you can throw in 4 Kaplan CATs to that list too)

I will throw in an extra 2 cents here, because mental preparation by taking simulated tests was a key part of my preparation strategy.

I simulated test 'like' conditions by using a book and solving 37 maths problems (20 PS and 17 DS) and 41 Verbal problems ( Keeping a balance between RC , CR and SC) and giving myself exactly 75 minutes for each and a 10 minute break in between. In fact its very easy to simulate a verbal 'test like' condition using the GMatter software.

Its true that you wont get an accurate GMAT like score this way, but the idea is to build "mental stamina and toughness" for test day, because on test day whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong. You wont get much sleep in the night because you will be nervous, the first question will throw you off and you will end up taking too much time on it, the essay will mentally drain you, the squeaky erasable writing pad will annoy the hell out of you and the center will be too cold and full of distractions.

:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
boggin,
CAT Prep offers GMAT software that can simulate the actual options offered to students with qualifying disabilities. You can read about the software's support for ADD / ADHD on the CAT Prep blog or just visit their website for more information.

Cheers!

boggin wrote:
Hey, Thanks for the reply.

I should have been a little more clear. If you are ADD, or have some learning disability that qualifies you for extra time (typically I think they give time and a half) and you receive that accommodation, is there any practice CAT (meaning on the computer) that doesn't time you to normal testing time, ie 75 mins per section.

I'd have a tough time replicating test like conditions if I'm doing cats designed for regular time. just wondering if anyone with extra time accomodations has come up with a way around this for CATs. thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Great post, it is good to know that there are others out there with ADD trying to crack this exam and struggling with it in the same ways. I just took it for the second time and my score actually went down from 630 to 590. I've come to the realization that I need a tutor. I also live in NYC and would really appreicate any recomendations about tutors, espeacially from others with ADD.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Reply to orginal post [#permalink]
Kudos
Just saw this, I have the same condition, though probably not as pronounced and even though the original poster did not come back after the test to give an update... I took the test yesterday and got a 710.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: compelling story [#permalink]
tarunvij21 wrote:
your story is quite similar to mine except that i am not talking any medication for my ADD ( i m frm india & hve no medical insurence yet). i am just drinking excess coffee .i am still scoring in 570's with 4 months of preparation . wanna score in 700's . is it possible ?? what strategies shld i apply for both verbal & quant ? plz help me as i m in the same boat...

Not having medication for ADD is a problem. Even with extra time, I would have done horrible without adderol and my anxiety medicine. WIth the extra time, you should get 45 or higher on math and 25 or higher on verbal. Find some way to get adderol
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]

I should have been a little more clear. If you are ADD, or have some learning disability that qualifies you for extra time (typically I think they give time and a half) and you receive that accommodation, is there any practice CAT (meaning on the computer) that doesn't time you to normal testing time, ie 75 mins per section.

I'd have a tough time replicating test like conditions if I'm doing cats designed for regular time. just wondering if anyone with extra time accomodations has come up with a way around this for CATs. thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Whoops, sorry for jumping the gun there mate. Yeah it will be difficult. I would just skip the CATs and use a pure book or book + gmatter strategy.

The only downside would be that GmatPrep which is a CAT that predicts your current level very accurately, might not be useful for ya.

boggin wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Adult with ADD studying for the GMAT (long post) [#permalink]
Super awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Adult with ADD studying for the GMAT (long post) [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts