Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [138]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [34]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [28]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown’s public [#permalink]
Kudos
E for me too. The answer should be a choice, which should convey a sense that there are sufficient teachers. The argument states that the number of teaching applicants are going down. Only E states that there were more applicants than positions. Therefore there are no teaching shortages.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown’s public [#permalink]
Bookmarks
dvtohir wrote:
The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown’s public schools was 5.7 percent lower in 1993 than in 1985 and 5.9 percent lower in 1994 than in 1985. Despite a steadily growing student population and an increasing number of teacher resignations, however, Newtown dose not face a teacher shortage in the late 1990’s.

Which of the following, if true, would contribute most to an explanation of the apparent discrepancy above?

A. Many of Newtown’s public school students do not graduate from high school.
Well i dont think this is absoulety a correct choice but i think this choice partially explains that if not many students graduate form newtown's school then even if the number of incomming students is increasing there is no need to recrute more teaching staff
B. New housing developments planned for Newtown are slated for occupancy in 1997 and are expected to increase the number of elementary school students in Newtown’s public schools by 12 percent.
This statement talks about increasing the number of students and does not say a thing about teachers. So eliminate this choice

C. The Newtown school board does not contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990’s.
This is irrelavent. So eliminate
D. Teachers’ colleges in and near Newtown produced fewer graduates in 1994 than in 1993.
This statement is clearly out of scope. So eliminate this choice as well
E. In 1993 Newtown’s public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available.

This statement says that the teachers' applications were good enough for early 90's But we cannot say that the same would be true for late 90's . So this also cannot be the correct answere choice.

If someone has a better explanation, which i am sure someone would, then explain the answere choice to this question.
Javed.

Cheers!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [4]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Teacher to student ratio is more of a efficiency in teaching and higher teacher to student ratio means teacher can concentrate more on the students he/she has. If there are 10 teachers and 1000 students each T has to concentrate on 100 S. If 10 T and 100 S, each T has to concentrate on 10 S. We can't say that there is shortage or no shortage based on the T/S.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Question is asking that when there is a dip in % of applications for teaching job and continuous increase in no. of students enrolled together with a trend where many teachers have resigned, how come the school did not feel the shortage of teacher.
EXPLANATION: The only way it is possible is that in absolute number terms if they are getting applications more than the vacancies they have at any point of the time, they will not feel the shortage. The same things is explained in choice E. Analogy: if John's income is decreasing and his expenses are increasing, there is still a possibility that he is not feeling the heat of this if it is proved that decreased income is still higher than the increased expenses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
GMATNinja: Can you please help me with the options C & E ? I'm really struggling with the correct logic.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
@AndrewN:- Wanted to bring this question to your attention.

First off, I doubt if this is a GMATPrep question as I don't think its a quality question by any means. Following is my reasoning and it would be great if you could provide your insights as well.

Quote:
(B) New housing developments planned for Newtown are slated for occupancy in 1997 and are expected to increase the number of elementary school students in Newtown???s public schools by 12 percent.
-> The grammar looks odd. if you are talking about 1997 (i.e. past) then "are slated" and "are expected" does not go with the tenses.

Quote:
(C) The Newtown school board does not contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990???s.
-> Again, the grammar is off from tenses' perspective.

Quote:
(E) In 1993 Newtown???s public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available.

How can one deduce that 40% more applications than the available teaching positions in one year can give us any information about the future years? So what if the town was able to fulfill its teachers demand in 1993. 1994 and late 1990s situations (which can not be 1994 by the way. It has to be 1996-1999) are mutually exclusive to 1993's situation.
For eg. in 1993 students pop increased, teachers resignation increased, demand (Teachers required) was adequately fulfilled by the supply (no. of applications)
in 1994, students pop further increased, more teachers resigned, demand increased, number of applications reduced, but here we can't deduce that
a) the applications from previous year (i.e. 1993) would still be considered,
b) that even if considered, the demand in 1994 can be fulfilled by the number of applications. may be demand for teacher shot up for some XYZ reason and number of applications is not sufficient to fulfill that demand.

Additionally, late 90s is not 1993 or 1994. Since the conclusion is about late 90s, we must have some answer choice that would provide some info to deduce about 1996-99 years.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
Hello, Shameek. According to what I can find online, outside of GMAT Club, this does appear to be a GMAT Prep question. My guess is that it was an early question, perhaps even predating the turn of the millennium, which could explain the verb tense issue. It may have appeared in the earlier iteration of the GMAT Prep software, the one that corresponded to the longer test. One final note that may prove noteworthy: official questions tend to have more attempts, or "sessions," than other questions in this forum, although I can see how a misattribution could lead to the same. In any case, the question does not look familiar to me. I will address your other concerns below.

shameekv1989 wrote:
@AndrewN:- Wanted to bring this question to your attention.

First off, I doubt if this is a GMATPrep question as I don't think its a quality question by any means. Following is my reasoning and it would be great if you could provide your insights as well.

Quote:
(B) New housing developments planned for Newtown are slated for occupancy in 1997 and are expected to increase the number of elementary school students in Newtown's public schools by 12 percent.
-> The grammar looks odd. if you are talking about 1997 (i.e. past) then "are slated" and "are expected" does not go with the tenses.

Quote:
(C) The Newtown school board does not contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990's.
-> Again, the grammar is off from tenses' perspective.

If the question predates 1997, then the verb conjugations are not a problem. The question could also be retrospective in nature, commenting on an earlier period, but I will admit that I find it odd to see did not face a teacher shortage in the late 1990's in the passage and are slated for occupancy in 1997 in answer choice (B) or, indeed, does not contemplate in answer choice (C). Finally, there could have been a transcription error. In the BEATtheGMAT forum, for instance, this same question is listed with a passage that says, Newtown does not face a teacher shortage... I cannot get to the bottom of this issue, since it appears to be lost to time.

shameekv1989 wrote:
Quote:
(E) In 1993 Newtown's public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available.

How can one deduce that 40% more applications than the available teaching positions in one year can give us any information about the future years? So what if the town was able to fulfill its teachers demand in 1993. 1994 and late 1990s situations (which can not be 1994 by the way. It has to be 1996-1999) are mutually exclusive to 1993's situation.
For eg. in 1993 students pop increased, teachers resignation increased, demand (Teachers required) was adequately fulfilled by the supply (no. of applications)
in 1994, students pop further increased, more teachers resigned, demand increased, number of applications reduced, but here we can't deduce that
a) the applications from previous year (i.e. 1993) would still be considered,
b) that even if considered, the demand in 1994 can be fulfilled by the number of applications. may be demand for teacher shot up for some XYZ reason and number of applications is not sufficient to fulfill that demand.

Additionally, late 90s is not 1993 or 1994. Since the conclusion is about late 90s, we must have some answer choice that would provide some info to deduce about 1996-99 years.

Despite your concerns, choice (E) is the only one that remotely explains the apparent discrepancy, allowing us to appreciate that perhaps there was no teacher shortage, just as the passage outlines. Perhaps the flood of applications simply decreased while teaching positions were being filled. That would help reconcile the facts provided in the passage. I think the process of elimination is more useful on this question than anything else. If you can find a way to justify another answer, I would like to read your thoughts on the matter.

Thank you for bringing the question to my attention.

- Andrew
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64891 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
cybera wrote:
The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtown’s public schools was 5.7 percent lower in 1993 than in 1985 and 5.9 percent lower in 1994 than in 1985. Despite a steadily growing student population and an increasing number of teacher resignations, however, Newtown did not face a teacher shortage in the late 1990’s.

Which of the following, if true, would contribute most to an explanation of the apparent discrepancy above?

(A) Many of Newtown’s public school students do not graduate from high school.

(B) New housing developments planned for Newtown are slated for occupancy in 1997 and are expected to increase the number of elementary school students in Newtown’s public schools by 12 percent.

(C) The Newtown school board does not contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990’s.

(D) Teachers’ colleges in and near Newtown produced fewer graduates in 1994 than in 1993.

(E) In 1993 Newtown’s public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available.

Number of applications have decreased in 93-94. Number of resignations have increased and student strength has increased too.

Still there is no teacher shortage.

How is this possible?
One explanation could be that anyway the number of applications obtained is so large that a slight decrease and some resignations does not cause teacher shortage.

This is what option (E) says. Since there are 40% more applications than positions, a decrease in other things does not cause shortage.

It takes care of all aspects of the paradox.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtowns public [#permalink]
Understanding the argument - This is a comparison error. We are trying to compare "the number of applications for the teaching positions" with 1985, showing that the 1990s will have fewer applications and thus Newtow will face the teacher shortage. But surprisingly, there was no shortage.

We are comparing apples to oranges. How about if, in 1985, there were 80 vacancies for which Newtown public schools received 100 applications (25% more applications than the vacancies)? And in 1993 and 1994 there were 67 and 65 vacancies respectively while the schools received 95 and 94 applications. (around 40% more applications than vacancies) This is what option E explains.

(A) Many of Newtown’s public school students do not graduate from high school. - We know that the student population is growing. We are not told about the relationship between the number of students graduating/teachers and the number of students not graduating/teachers. Doesn't help. Distortion.

(B) New housing developments planned for Newtown are slated for occupancy in 1997 and are expected to increase the number of elementary school students in Newtown’s public schools by 12 percent. - This is worsening the paradox. Opposite of what we are looking for.

(C) The Newtown school board does not contemplate increasing the ratio of students to teachers in the 1990’s. - They need to hire more teachers to keep the ratio the same. This is worsening the paradox. Opposite of what we are looking for.

(D) Teachers’ colleges in and near Newtown produced fewer graduates in 1994 than in 1993. - This is worsening the paradox. Opposite of what we are looking for.

(E) In 1993 Newtown’s public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available. ok.

(D) Teachers’ colleges in and near Newtown produced fewer graduates in 1994 than in 1993. - This is worsening the paradox. Opposite of what we are looking for.

(E) In 1993 Newtown’s public schools received 40 percent more applications for teaching positions than there were positions available. ok.
GMAT Club Bot
The number of applications for teaching positions in Newtowns public [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts