Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8448 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 21:57
Expert's post
ra011y wrote:
Thanks for the review bb.

2 questions -

1) Do you think it is necessary to have completed the previous Manhattan GMAT quant books before we pick this one up? Are some strategies revisited or referenced? The reason I ask is because I have never read the other Manhattan GMAT books. I am retaking the GMAT in July and I am currently scoring in the 44-46 range. I am working towards a Q49 or Q50. I just finished revisiting all the basics in Total GMAT Math and I am going to move on to the Extreme Challenge Set by Jeff Sackmann.

It is OK. As long as you are scoring at 44+ range, you should be fine. I think the book is very helpful for the advanced use. I am not 100% clear as to how holistic it is but will definitely help at $15 level. I liked it quite a bit (but this was based on 2-3 hours going through it). I have not covered every question at this point.
Quote:
2) How do you compare the 150 questions and the explanations in Advanced GMAT quant to the 100 questions in the Extreme Challenge Set?

Let me ask this to the MGMAT team and see if they have a good answer.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 06:18
Hey bb,
A really helpful review, indeed! Before I order this book, I just want to know if this book will be something worthy side-by-side the GMATClub.com's Math Tests?
Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 06:36
Great review! My experience with Manhattan is that they`re great with question solving strategies and with explaining concepts, but produce sample questions which vary in quality and organization. This book seems to hold up with what I`ve seen.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 16:03
Hey bb,
thanks for the review! I am going to purchase this book from Amazon, can you just verify that I am buying the right book because I thought it was coming out on the 31st but apparently its already out on Amazon :S. Anyway, here is the link

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 16:04
Expert's post
Yes, looks right (interesting to see Amazon CA)

P.S. The book was released early

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 16:07
Thanks!! About to purchase it :D

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 16:55
Thanks bb for your review.I am thinking of purchasing the book
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 19:57
bb wrote:

I have not covered every question yet, so can't speak very intelligently from that perspective. On the surface, the book is very good, esp the explanations but the question count is about \frac{1}{4} of the GMAT Club test content and then you have the questions in the book vs. actual test timed experience. They are two slightly different things.

Thanks, bb. You are awesome!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 31 May 2011, 06:02
This is a thorough explanation! Thank you! My book arrived yesterday but I don't plan on touching it until I go through the other 5 MGMAT Math Guides! I am scoring around 43 for Quant so I think this book should help me out.

Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 13:08
Nice post Ravish. Could you let us know approximately how much time it takes to cover the entire book? I will probably want to solve just about enough problems to get a handle over the key concepts introduced in the book.

Hey BB, thanks for your review. I request your thoughts here too.

I have just about 4 weeks left for my GMAT and I have started with the GMAT Club tests with a plan to take one test every day. I am learning a great deal from these tests and was wondering whether you think it worth the time to go over this book? I have reached a reasonable success rate on the OG12 problems and I do score consistently above 45 on the MGMAT Quant section, but I still struggle with timing on the 700-800 level.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 15:39
Thanks for the quick reply Ravish. I guess I'll go ahead and order the book while I ponder over how I am going to find the time to study it. I am hoping that even if I were to consume only about 50-60% of the book in the time I have remaining before the GMAT, it would be beneficial.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 18:11
Based on the reviews here and the ones on Amazon...I ordered this book from Amazon. Its also not that expensive...in fact seems like a great deal!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 20:33
Thanks for message.
Actually this is an extraordinary collection for GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 04:22
@BB, one more question-this one is relaively dumb,,i have neve bought books from AMAZON, if i buy the Adv. Math or any other new MGMAT strategy guide from AMAZON instead of the MGMAT website, should it still give me the access to the online material, the 6 CATS for example which are my main necessity right now. I have this question because the same new books are cheaper on AMAZON than MGMAT website.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 08:13
Aj85, its really kind of you to answer my question, I was waiting for some word on this issue, I guess I will go ahead with my purchase of MGMAT book now..

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2011, 08:15
Expert's post
Aj85 wrote:
hi desiaggie, this book doesn't gives you access to 6 cats. I have bought this book myself , the book offers some online practice questions though not the 6 cats. Regarding your other question, yes if you buy any one of the 8 guides of manhattan through amazon you do get the access 6 practice cats. Your question was not directed at me, but i have answered, hope you don't mind. :)

Thank you!
That's right.

Founder of GMAT Club

BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 17:49
Awesome review. This book just came out at the end of May 2011?

I can't believe it my luck! I just finished studying all of the MGMAT series last week, and I am stuck at Q45 (77% percentile). I even posted in the forum that I was lost and didn't know what to do after the MGMAT series. I guess this is next!

I am aiming for Q49! Hope this works.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 21:28
Expert's post
Saw a few of your other posts - welcome back to the site! :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, Oxford
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 23:07
DevilDoggNC wrote:
ABC is an isosceles triangle. What is the perimeter of ABC.

1) Segment AB = 11
2) Segment BC = 5

brilliant stuff
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2011, 22:55
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Just got done with this book! -- wow! This is a terrific book to say the least. The problems and the explanations were first rate.

The problems are challenging but fair -- every problem in the book can be cracked under 2mins with the right strategy -- even the difficult DS problems with inequalities and absolute values!

The book emphasizes the need to pay close attention to details.

Here is an example of a seemingly harmless looking Geometry DS problem:

ABC is an isosceles triangle. What is the perimeter of ABC.

1) Segment AB = 11
2) Segment BC = 5

------------------------------
Now the advanced test taker might look at this problem and quickly realize that even though we have two sides -- we have no idea which side makes up the "isosceles" triangle. The perimeter could be 11+11+5 OR 5 + 5 + 11. So option E makes sense right?...

Not so fast...there is another trick -- a 11-5-5 triangle violates the "sum of any two sides of a triangle is greater than the 3rd side"....so there is only ONE isosceles triangle that can be formed with the given lengths -- 11-11-5 Triangle. Option C is correct!

I think this is a brilliantly conjured up problem --simple yet a bit tricky -- and of course there are many many more such problems in the book.

Awesome post. I am currently at Q45 right now. I stopped Math for a month and studied Verbal for 2 weeks. I am about to go back to math and start this book on Saturday.

Where were you before the advanced book and where are you now? They said it can raise your score from 70th percentile to 90th percentile. What do you think about that? And how many hours or better yet, hours per day did it take you to finish this book?
Re: Advanced GMAT Quant from Manhattan GMAT   [#permalink] 19 Jul 2011, 22:55