Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:33 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 276 [162]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [128]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [35]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [20]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
age wrote:
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
A.rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

OA....will be provided later...plz explain....

Intend + to is the correct idiom hence B,D are out
ensure + that is the correct idiom hence C,E are out

hence A is the correct answer
hope this helps :) :)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [4]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
age wrote:
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

(A) rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

(B) rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room

(C) rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage

(D) with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage

(E) and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of the crucial part of this sentence is that the rules are intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Pronouns + Verb Forms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense.
• The simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.
• "should" is used to convey a sense of desirability/necessity.

A: Correct. This answer choice avoids the pronoun errors seen in Options D and E, as it uses no pronouns. Further, Option A uses the phrase "patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room", conveying the intended meaning - that the patients are put through triage. Additionally, Option A correctly uses the simple present tense verb "is assigned" to refer to habitual action. Option A also correctly uses the past participle ("intended" in this case) to refer to an action that concluded in the past. Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be assigned") to refer to a habitual action; remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy construction "with the intent of ensuring", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the hospital emergency room is put through triage; the intended meaning is that the patients are put through triage. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "intending" in this sentence) to refer to an action that concluded in the past; remember, the simple past tense is used to refer to actions that concluded in the past.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the noun "patients" with the pronoun "that"; remember, "that" cannot be used to refer to human beings. Further, Option D redundantly uses "should" alongside "ensuring"; remember, "should" is used to convey a sense of desirability/necessity. Additionally, Option D uses the needlessly wordy construction "with the intent of ensuring", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "rules" with the singular pronoun "this". Further, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that the hospital emergency room is put through triage; the intended meaning is that the patients are put through triage. Additionally, Option E uses the infinitive verb form ("to + base form of verb" - "to + be assigned") to refer to a habitual action; remember, habitual actions are best conveyed through the simple present tense.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
age wrote:

(A) rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

(B) rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room

(C) rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage

(D) with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage

(E) and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

This question is based on Modifiers and Construction.

Option A is grammatically and logically accurate. It has an absolute modifier at the end that clarifies what the rules are intended for.

The construction of Option B is bulky. The option is wordy and is not very clear. So, Option B can be eliminated.

The verb ‘ensure’ must be followed by the pronoun ‘that’. However, the pronoun is missing in Option C. The option also contains the phrase “hospital emergency room put through triage”, which implies that a hospital room is put through triage. The meaning conveyed is illogical since it is the patients that are put through triage. So, Option C can also be eliminated.

Option D is also bulky and wordy. Furthermore, the relative pronoun ‘that’ seems to refer to the hospital room, conveying the meaning that a hospital rom is put through triage. So, Option D can be eliminated.

Option E contains an ambiguous pronoun ‘this’. The pronoun is intended to refer to ‘rules’, but the demonstrative pronoun ‘this’ is singular, whereas the noun ‘rules’ is plural. So, there would be disagreement of the pronoun and its antecedent. If the pronoun is meant to refer to the clause before it, there would be an error of construction, since a pronoun refers only to a single noun, not an entire clause. So, Option E can also be eliminated.

Therefore, A is the most appropriate option.

Jayanthi Kumar.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A. rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

Experts please explain why option D is wrong.

Below are my doubts:

1) Isn't prepositional phrase "with the intent of .... " correctly working as adverbial modifier modifying the action "proposed"?
2) Why can't modifier "that are put through triage" modify the whole noun phrase "four patients in a hospital emergency room" instead of modifying just "hospital emergency room" . I have seen many Official questions in which relative clause modifies the noun before the prepositional phrase.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [34]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
1) It's unclear whether the prepositional modifier "with the intent of" modifies "proposed new rules" or "set staffing levels."
2) We should only put a modifier after the prepositional phrase if we need to. For instance, if I said "The jar of peanut butter that I bought is on the table," the modifier "that I bought" must follow "of peanut butter." We can't say "The jar that I bought of peanut butter is on the table." Here, the patients are put through triage in the emergency room, so we should put the modifiers in that order.

Also, watch out for the word "should." It is often used in redundant or problematic sentences. Here, we don't want to say "ensuring that one nurse should be assigned." It doesn't make sense to say that the rules ensure that one nurse SHOULD be assigned. We want to ensure that one nurse ACTUALLY IS assigned.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level [#permalink]
I am not able to understand why "rules intended" is preferred over "rules intending". Are both acceptable?

I understand that the option using rules intending can be discarded due to dangling modifier concept.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry could you please provide some insight into choice E here? I went for D because of the coordinating conjunction "and".

Q2. I am also not sure if the usage of "one nurse at least" is incorrect?

Q3. What is the difference between intended to / intent of? Which of these is correct?

Thanks a lot!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [11]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Payal259 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry could you please provide some insight into choice E here? I went for D because of the coordinating conjunction "and".

Q2. I am also not sure if the usage of "one nurse at least" is incorrect?

Q3. What is the difference between intended to / intent of? Which of these is correct?

Thanks a lot!

1) Here's (E) again: "and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room." "This" is a pronoun functioning as the subject of a clause. Typically if a pronoun is the subject of a clause, it will refer back to the subject of the previous clause. In this case, "this" seems to refer to "the state," but it doesn't make any sense to write that "the state is intended to ensure one nurse." Also, claiming that the rules intend "one nurse" is illogical. Rather, the rules intend "that one nurse be assigned."

2) In the OA, "at least one" is modifying "nurse." This makes sense, as the modifier is giving info about the number of nurses. Another way to use the phrase "at least" is as an adverb meaning "if nothing else."

For example, "I didn't make dinner for my children, but at least I remembered to take them out of the car." Here, "at least" is modifying the verb "remembered." In the phrase "one nurse at least to be assigned," it's unclear if "at least" is modifying the number of nurses, or if it's intended to mean "if nothing else" and modify "to be assigned." So I don't know if we can say that "one nurse at least" is definitively wrong, but its usage is at best ambiguous here, so "at least one" is clearly better.

3) "Intended" is used here as a past tense verb followed by an infinitive action. For example, "Christina intended to walk her dog at noon, but she became distracted, and her new Persian rug suffered the consequences." "Intent," on the other hand, is a noun, which can be used to mean more or less the same thing. "It was Christina's intent to walk her dog..."

However, "Intent + of + Verb-ing" seems strange to me. "He had every intention of mowing the lawn," seems fine but "he had every intent of mowing the lawn," does not. So given the choice between "intent + of + verb-ing" and "intended + infinitive verb," I'd prefer the latter. But it's perfectly reasonable to look for more concrete decision points.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing level [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sahanas wrote:
I am not able to understand why "rules intended" is preferred over "rules intending". Are both acceptable?

I understand that the option using rules intending can be discarded due to dangling modifier concept.

This thread caught my eye again today, and I realized that I completely missed a question from October. So just in case it helps somebody...

Either "rules intended" or "rules intending" seems fine to me, and I think that there are more important issues.

(C) has a much more concrete problem: "The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage." In the portion in red, it seems that the hospital emergency room will be put through triage! It makes far more sense to put the patients through triage, as (A) makes clear.

The takeaway: beware of false decision points! If you see two constructions, and both seem acceptable, look for other differences that might lead you to a concrete error.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle sir,

In option D, the "that" can refer to "four patients". As per the definition of "that", it should sense with the nearest grammatical eligible word. So "that" can refer to patients. There are other errors based on which we can eliminate option D. The usage of "should be" is wrong as pointed in the discussion above.

Can you throw some light on why "with the intent of ensuring" is wrong in option D?
Didn't understand the reasonings above.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
EducationAisle sir,

In option D, the "that" can refer to "four patients". As per the definition of "that", it should sense with the nearest grammatical eligible word. So "that" can refer to patients.

Since "that" as a relative pronoun can only refer to non-persons, "who" would have been a more appropriate relative pronoun.

Quote:
Can you throw some light on why "with the intent of ensuring" is wrong in option D?

There is just a bit of an ambiguity here: is option D talking about "The state has proposed new rules...with the intent" or "...nurses...with the intent..".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
EducationAisle sir,
Just to rephrase, the prepositional phrase "with the intent of ensuring" can modify rules as well as minimum staffing levels for nurses? Both can give intent.
Am I right?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yeah..more specifically the proposal (of the state) could be with the intent or nurses could have the intent.

Basically there is a bit of an ambiguity here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear experts,

I know there are other clear issues but I would like to know difference between "rules intended" and "rules intending". I cut (C) because "in a hospital emergency room put through triage" but have no confidence to choose (A) because I'm not sure whether "rules intended" is correct.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [3]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos