Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Adverbial Prepositional Phrases

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Adverbial Prepositional Phrases [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 18:46
The state has proposed new rules that would set minimum staffing levels for nurses, rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room.
A. rules intended to ensure that at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room
B. rules with the intent of ensuring one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients to be put through triage in a hospital emergency room
C. rules intending to ensure at least one nurse is assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room put through triage
D. with the intent of ensuring that at least one nurse should be assigned for every four patients in a hospital emergency room that are put through triage
E. and this is intended to ensure one nurse at least to be assigned for every four patients put through triage in a hospital emergency room

Experts please explain why option D is wrong.

Below are my doubts:

1) Isn't prepositional phrase "with the intent of .... " correctly working as adverbial modifier modifying the action "proposed"?
2) Why can't modifier "that are put through triage" modify the whole noun phrase "four patients in a hospital emergency room" instead of modifying just "hospital emergency room" . I have seen many Official questions in which relative clause modifies the noun before the prepositional phrase.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 118

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 10

Re: Adverbial Prepositional Phrases [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 23:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1) It's unclear whether the prepositional modifier "with the intent of" modifies "proposed new rules" or "set staffing levels."
2) We should only put a modifier after the prepositional phrase if we need to. For instance, if I said "The jar of peanut butter that I bought is on the table," the modifier "that I bought" must follow "of peanut butter." We can't say "The jar that I bought of peanut butter is on the table." Here, the patients are put through triage in the emergency room, so we should put the modifiers in that order.

Also, watch out for the word "should." It is often used in redundant or problematic sentences. Here, we don't want to say "ensuring that one nurse should be assigned." It doesn't make sense to say that the rules ensure that one nurse SHOULD be assigned. We want to ensure that one nurse ACTUALLY IS assigned.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Adverbial Prepositional Phrases   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2011, 23:50