Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: Clark brand-name parts are made for cars

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Advertisement: Clark brand-name parts are made for cars [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

45% (02:49) correct 55% (01:01) wrong based on 12 sessions
Advertisement: Clark brand-name parts are made for cars manufactured in this country. They satisfy all of our government automotive test—the toughest such tests in the world. With foreign-made parts, you never know which might be reliable and which are cheap look-alikes that are poorly constructed and liable to cost you hundreds of dollars in repairs. Therefore, be smart and insist on brand-name parts by Clark for your car.

The argument requires the assumption that
(A) Clark parts are available only in this country
(B) foreign-made parts are not suitable for cars manufactured in this country
(C) no foreign-made parts satisfy our government standards
(D) parts that satisfy our government standards are not as poorly constructed as cheap foreign-made parts
(E) if parts are made for cars manufactured in our country, they are not poorly constructed
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Clark brand [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 02:18
the point here is
Since poorly constructed parts are likely to cost you hundreds of dollars in repairs, Therefore, be smart and insist on brand-name parts by Clark for your car.

(D) parts that satisfy our government standards are not as poorly constructed as cheap foreign-made parts

If we negate this, the conclusion that we must choose the Clark brand falls apart. since Clarks brand would be as cheap as others and would start causing hundreds of dollers in repairs.

what is OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clark brand [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 03:33
The author is differentiating between “foreign-made parts” and “Clark brand-name parts” and differentiating factor is “government automotive test”. Choice D is aptly capturing this point.

Hence IMO the answer is D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clark brand [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2009, 04:03
Yes the OA is D.........

was confused a little bit..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Clark brand [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 07:51
Why not C?
The author convinces to buy only Clark-made parts because they meet all the Goverment standards, and convinces not to buy foreign made parts. What if foreign made parts also meet the Goverment standards? So why only insist on buying Clark-made ones?

I am still confused.

jade3 wrote:
The author is differentiating between “foreign-made parts” and “Clark brand-name parts” and differentiating factor is “government automotive test”. Choice D is aptly capturing this point.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clark brand [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2009, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
fall2009 wrote:
Why not C?
The author convinces to buy only Clark-made parts because they meet all the Goverment standards, and convinces not to buy foreign made parts. What if foreign made parts also meet the Goverment standards? So why only insist on buying Clark-made ones?

I am still confused.

jade3 wrote:

The argument by stating that “foreign-made parts, you never know which might be reliable” makes a point that there could be some foreign-made parts that are reliable. Hence these parts could satisfy the government standards.

So this cannot be a assumption
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Clark brand [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 06:46
I think D.

Whats OA?

Why D?
1. Because I can eliminate A,B and E.
2. C - no where in the passage are we implying that forign made parts do not pass the tests.

http://twitter.com/Saurabh

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advertisement: Clark brand-name parts are made for cars [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 16:39
+1 D

If we assume that parts that satisfy our government standards could be as poorly constructed as cheap foreign-made parts, we cannot claim categoricatelly claim that our parts are the best.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Advertisement: Clark brand-name parts are made for cars   [#permalink] 02 May 2012, 16:39