Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1816
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2004, 16:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
6. Advertisement:
For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?
(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor’s prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 971
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Advertisement for Sinus Pain Medicine [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2004, 20:07
we need to disprove that Novex is most effective. If we say that doctors recommend Novex only when patients can't take other available medicines, Novex's top position's stand will fall apart. B states the same. Patients who can't tolerate available effective medicines are recommended with light-somewhat effective Novex.

B
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2003
Posts: 854
Location: Hyderabad
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 00:52
B it is (1min 10s)

B implies that Novex is more of an exception than a rule and hence directly hits the argument that Novex is the one to choose!
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 04:38
(B) is it. POE

(A) out : We are talking about Sinus pain not any other pian.
(C) out : Selling at lowest price does not make it effective or not painkiller. This can be used as explaination as why most hospital use so many Novex painkillers
(D) out : Unlike some competing brands of painkillers, Novex is available from pharmacies without a doctor’s prescription. So what.. This does not make Novex effective or not effective painkiller.
(E) out : supports argument. Does not undermine it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 08:10
It's clearly between B and D. I'm with B. 1m15
D) does not directly attack the argument because the argument is about the use of the Novex in hospitals, not in pharmacies.
B is already well explained by dj
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2003
Posts: 462
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 12:02
C...

First line of the stem says..'For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their patients Novex.' indiccating that his brand is superior than other brands and so majority of the hospitals use it.

But if C is true...
Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their products to hospitals by selling these products to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford


It means that majority of the hospitals do not use Novex cos its effective but they do cos its cheap.

Vivek.
_________________

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 971
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Advertisement for Sinus Pain Medicine [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 14:22
wow! this question is tricky! ...to my error log :)

B states: Novex to the patients who can't tolerate other medicines, this, to an extent, doesn't disprove that Novex is not effective. May or may not -- not a very strong point.
C states: manufatures sell at lower price, still, can't disprove that Novex is not effective.
D states: Doctors are inclined to prescribe over the counter medicines (easy for a patient to get & doesn't cost much considering insurance). It's easily availability not effectiveness that helps Novex sale/prescription.

D it is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 14:37
wow. Tricky one indeed. I have to agree with Vivek on this one. C has to be it.
C) If those drug manufacturers sell at a low price to hospitals and 3/4 of hospitals use Novex, can we ascertain that Novex is effective? The reason hospitals use Novex might very well be because of the bargain price.
D) Well, even within the hospital, doctor's prescription is NOT necessary so this does not weaken the claim that Novex is more effective than any other drug
B) I think that if those hospitals that do not usually use Novex represent a small proportion of all hospitals, then the argument still stand that Novex could be the most effective drug.
I ought to be more careful next time! :wall
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1816
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 20:30
Well I had it C, and the rest is history.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 282
Location: Ukraine
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 21:42
Darn! Bhai has already posted the answer. C it is. B is wrong. Too late... : :(
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1816
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 21:56
ob wrote:
Darn! Bhai has already posted the answer. C it is. B is wrong. Too late... : :(


Nope. Sorry if that created a confusion, but C is not the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 282
Location: Ukraine
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 21:58
I stand by C. Reasoning is pretty much like Vivek's.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 360
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 22:07
My shot the answer is A.

Reasoning below. based on Contribute/Not contribute.

For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?

(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain. - Contributes. (Competition increases with the existing one as, the existing brands provide more service than Novex) - hence it is the A. Correct answer.

(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use. - This suggest that Novex is a best alternative.- B is wrong.

(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford. - - We are talking about what Novex can do for the patients and not about the sales figures - Out of scope- C is Wrong.

(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor’s prescription. - This is a compliement to Novex as one does not have to visit a doctor to buy Novex. He can directly get it from the store. - D is wrong.


(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex. - Compliments Novex - Hence E is wrong.

Hence A is the correct answer and undemines the claim of Novex the most.
_________________

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 282
Location: Ukraine
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 22:46
carsen wrote:
My shot the answer is A.

Reasoning below. based on Contribute/Not contribute.

For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?

(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain. - Contributes. (Competition increases with the existing one as, the existing brands provide more service than Novex) - hence it is the A. Correct answer.

Hence A is the correct answer and undemines the claim of Novex the most.


Carsen, I see your point but this is what flies the red flag for me:

So when you want the most effective painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose. --- No other pain is of concern.

(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are intended to reduce other kinds of pain in addition to sinus pain. --- We are interested in the most effective painkiller for sinus pain only. True, other brands may effectively take care of stomach aches in addition to sinus pains, but are we at liberty to assume that sinus pains are always accompanied by such pains, or that there is a standard set of accompanying pains?

I hope this is not too muddled an explanation (I'm posting from work). Besides, C is exactly what's happening on the Russian pharmaceutical market :-D though drawing parallels is the biggest trap that awaits an unwitting test-taker :-D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2003
Posts: 360
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2004, 23:10
Lets look at this way. First of all, its an advertisement, hence Novex will claim that it is the best. And they support that by saying that 3 out of 4 hospitals give Novex. Now looking at the statment that shows Novex is not as good as it says.

Why would i choose Novex. Is it because, 3 out of 4 hospitals prescribe Novex?.

(Lets leave A for later)

In choice B, it says "Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex will do so for those patients who cannot tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use" - Meaning, Novex can do the same job as the other medicine and also cater to those who cannot tolerate the other drug. - Novex is good.

In choice C, it says "Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their products to hospitals by selling these products to the hospitals at the lowest price the manufacturers can afford" - It can be a promotional stunt and Novex can be the best drug. This statement does not say that Novex is bad.

Choice D and E compliments, hence no need to reason that.

Looking at the statement A, which says " Some competing brands of painkillers are intended to reduce other kinds of pain in addition to sinus pain" - this is the only statement that shows that Novex is not the BEST. There are better ones in here. The claim, that Novex is best is ruled out.

Am i missing something here?
_________________

Giving another SHOT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2004, 02:23
When I initially read the CR, I selected (A) as the answer, then I read comments by all the pro's before reading carsen's. But I also reached to (A) using carsen's analogy, following para from carsen's explanation says it all.

Looking at the statement A, which says " Some competing brands of painkillers are intended to reduce other kinds of pain in addition to sinus pain" - this is the only statement that shows that Novex is not the BEST. There are better ones in here. The claim, that Novex is best is ruled out.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 971
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2004, 06:27
Bhai wrote:
ob wrote:
Darn! Bhai has already posted the answer. C it is. B is wrong. Too late... : :(


Nope. Sorry if that created a confusion, but C is not the answer.


I knew it ..... D D D :twisted:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1816
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Advertisement for Sinus Pain Medicine [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2004, 06:34
dj wrote:
D states: Doctors are inclined to prescribe over the counter medicines (easy for a patient to get & doesn't cost much considering insurance). It's easily availability not effectiveness that helps Novex sale/prescription.

D it is.


Well the OA is D. How and why I can't say.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2010
Posts: 278
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Ross, Cornell, LBS, INSEAD, Oxford, IESE/IE
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 117

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR- Advertisement for Sinus Pain Medicine [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 03:30
bump!

Any solid reason why D?
_________________

"Don't be afraid of the space between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so."
Target=780
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Re: CR- Advertisement for Sinus Pain Medicine   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2010, 03:30
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals aurobindo 8 08 Dec 2006, 08:34
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals jaynayak 13 17 Jun 2006, 10:50
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals rlevochkin 12 16 Jan 2006, 14:03
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals rahulraao 20 05 Oct 2005, 16:08
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals forrestgump 10 04 Apr 2005, 22:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.