Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 03:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 13:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:17) correct 40% (01:20) wrong based on 163 sessions
This question has been discussed before. However, I am looking at it from another angle.

Advertisement:
For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement's argument?
(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor's prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex

I got stuck between option B & C. C was about general products that the manufactures sell to the hospitals, while B was more specific to Novex. So, I chose B after taking approx 3 mins, only to find out that the OA is C.

Now, the only thing that can prove me wrong here is that option B says "many hospitals .... WILL DO SO
and not DO SO (without will), which might imply that the options is referring to any time in the future and not now.
Then this option might not work.
Please suggest..
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Critical reasoning [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 22:58
Yes B is about Novex but then the patients are limited to those who cannot tolerate the drug the hospitals use. While C clearly points out another reason (besides the effectiveness of Novex) why hospitals give to patients, and therefore weaken the conclusion that Novex is most effective.
Hope it's clear.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 11

Re: Critical reasoning [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 23:20
To your question first - the context of the usage of WILL DO SO here implies that the hospitals are already doing this and will continue to do so.

For the correct answer, consider the fact that even if the hospitals prescribe the painkiller because other painkillers cannot be tolerated, this does not call into question the effectiveness of Novex as a drug. Choice C, which provides an alternative explanation to effectiveness as to why the drug may be prescribed, is therefore the right choice.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 21

Re: Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 10:13
I would think about this problem in the following way: Give me the another reason why hospitals are giving patients the mentioned drug? What is the conclusion of the argument?

"So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose." --- Pay attention to the "So" since it indicates a conclusion.

(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use. ---- This answer does not really weaken the argument, I would even think it strengthens the conclusion a bit ---- Hey! This drug can help even the people who are intolerant to all others, yey It's the best drug.

However:

(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford. ---- Hmmm, so 3/4 of hospitals treat patients with this drug not because it's the best one but because it's cheaper! Shame on you hospitals :P

I would definitely go with "C"

Hope this helps x)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 357

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 08:19
For weaken questions I follow the strategy that first i identify the conclusion and then look for ways on what are the other ways in which the conclusion can hold ( without the given premise)

In this question Conclusion - Novex should be used in as the most effective painkiller in Sinus
Premise - 3/4 hospitals use Novex for sinus pain.

If we can somehow think of other ways as to why Novex is used ( without thinking of the hospitals answer , we hit the nail there)

(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are intended to reduce other kinds of pain in addition to sinus pain.
- Talks about other kinds of pain , irrelevant in the conclusions context.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex will do so for those patients who cannot tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
- This answer choice tells us that hospitals will use Novex for patients who cannot tolerate the drug that the hospitals usually give.
Again does not help our conclusion.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their products to hospitals by selling these products to the hospitals at the lowest price the manufacturers can afford.
- This answer choice states that because of ulterior motives of hospitals ( that they have the drug at very low cost) , the drug Novex is used by hospitals and not because its very effective. Bingo
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers, Novex is available from pharmacies without a doctor's prescription.
- Irrelevant in the context of the conclusion , talks about getting the medicine from pharmacy.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more effective than competing brands of painkillers that have been on the market longer than Novex.
- Again irrelevant in context of the conclusion.

Hope this helps
Kudos me if you like the post !!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 06:57
C is the correct answer:

Reason :
the assumption behind the conclusion is that what majority of the medicines hospital use are the best in market. option C directly attack on this assumption by telling why hospitals actually have more of a certain brand of medicine stock.

thanks
Re: Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2013, 06:57