Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 240
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2005, 22:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Advertisement:
For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?
(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor’s prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jul 2004
Posts: 5097
Location: Singapore
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2005, 23:19
Advertisement:
1) For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their patients Novex. 2) So when you want the most effective painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose. <-- conclusion

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the advertisement’s argument?

(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are intended to reduce other kinds of pain in addition to sinus pain.
- Out of scope

(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex will do so for those patients who cannot tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
- Out of scope. Not concerned with strength of the drug.

(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their products to hospitals by selling these products to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
- This is the answer. If hospital used Novex because it's cheaper, then it's wrong to say it's effective simply because the hospitals are using novex.

(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers, Novex is available from pharmacies without a doctor’s prescription.
- Out of scope

(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more effective than competing brands of painkillers that have been on the market longer than Novex.
- Strengthens the conclusion

C it is.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1226
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 06:00
C it is.

C said price is the key factor rather than the effectiveness of drugs.
SO, it refutes the premise that many hospital use the drugs because of its effectiveness.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 06:14
D)

the hospital can give away the painkiller because it is available without prescription. so its not about effectiveness. C) is also possible but i would say that D) is stronger because a painkiller with prescription should be more effective that one without it. so D) undermines the argument because the painkillers with pres... are more effectice. the manufacturers sells the painkiller very cheap but the cheaper painkiller could still be more effective than other painkillers. so C) doesnt necessarily undermindes the argu...
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.


Last edited by christoph on 05 Apr 2005, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Feb 2005
Posts: 492
Location: Milan Italy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 10:10
C for me :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 11:22
christoph wrote:
D)

the hospital can give away the painkiller because it is available without prescription. so its not about effectiveness. C) is also possible but i would say that D) is stronger because a painkiller with prescription should be more effective that one without it. so D) undermines the argument because the painkillers with pres... are more effectice. the manufacturers sells the painkiller very cheap but the cheaper painkiller could still be more effective than other painkillers. so C) doesnt necessarily undermindes the argu...


Totally Agree, plus, without prescription, people could buy it anywhere, that's why lots of people are using Novex.

I pick D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 255
Location: Rockville
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 11:30
DLMD wrote:
christoph wrote:
D)

the hospital can give away the painkiller because it is available without prescription. so its not about effectiveness. C) is also possible but i would say that D) is stronger because a painkiller with prescription should be more effective that one without it. so D) undermines the argument because the painkillers with pres... are more effectice. the manufacturers sells the painkiller very cheap but the cheaper painkiller could still be more effective than other painkillers. so C) doesnt necessarily undermindes the argu...


Totally Agree, plus, without prescription, people could buy it anywhere, that's why lots of people are using Novex.

I pick D


just because it is available without prescription does not warrant the rationale why the hospital would use it, given the statements of the add. i would have to say C because this would definitely undermine the add's claims, as it would mean that hospitals use this drug because it is cheaper for them to get also. while meeting a minimal requirement. eg: if you go to a hospital with a broken arm they do not give u the best quality novocaine or vicadin available but the generic type because it is cheaper, does it necessarily make it the best to deal with the pain ...no
C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 459
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 11:39
Rupstar wrote:
DLMD wrote:
christoph wrote:
D)

the hospital can give away the painkiller because it is available without prescription. so its not about effectiveness. C) is also possible but i would say that D) is stronger because a painkiller with prescription should be more effective that one without it. so D) undermines the argument because the painkillers with pres... are more effectice. the manufacturers sells the painkiller very cheap but the cheaper painkiller could still be more effective than other painkillers. so C) doesnt necessarily undermindes the argu...


Totally Agree, plus, without prescription, people could buy it anywhere, that's why lots of people are using Novex.

I pick D


just because it is available without prescription does not warrant the rationale why the hospital would use it, given the statements of the add. i would have to say C because this would definitely undermine the add's claims, as it would mean that hospitals use this drug because it is cheaper for them to get also. while meeting a minimal requirement. eg: if you go to a hospital with a broken arm they do not give u the best quality novocaine or vicadin available but the generic type because it is cheaper, does it necessarily make it the best to deal with the pain ...no
C


we have to refute "Novex is effective", in D, it might just stated why hospital sold lots of Novex, but didn't refute why it's effectiveless.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2004
Posts: 240
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 21:52
I too had marked C - but the OA is D.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 11:42
D singles out Novex and gives an alternative reason why doctors likes to give it to patient. C doesn't single out Novex. If every medicine is sold cheap why is Novex picked three out of four times if it were not better?
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1447
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 12:24
I see where I went wrong, "C" doesn't talk abt Novex atall but medicines in general, "D" talks abt Novex and compares it with other medicines.
  [#permalink] 07 Apr 2005, 12:24
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals Neochronic 10 14 Mar 2008, 12:02
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals aurobindo 8 08 Dec 2006, 08:34
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals jaynayak 13 17 Jun 2006, 10:50
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals rlevochkin 12 16 Jan 2006, 14:03
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals rahulraao 20 05 Oct 2005, 16:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.