Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 10:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Advertisement:
For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?
(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor’s prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 761
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 14:54
My answer is B.

Note that we're looking for the most effective painkiller.

"Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use."

From the above, it looks like most hospitals do not use Novex by default, but end up doing so for reasons not having to do with its potency as a pain-killer.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1898
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Novex [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2006, 18:19
jaynayak wrote:
Advertisement:
For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?
(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor’s prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex.


I bet D on this one. D points out that: the prevalence of Novex has some black reason. Maybe becoz the marketing of Novex is good enough to make the drug popular in the pharmacy store. Or becoz the marketting staffs of Novex and the sellers at those pharmacies share some commission so that Novex is stored in these pharmacies. D also says that "without a doctor's prescription" ---> the popularity of Novex is not qualified.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Novex [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 09:14
laxieqv wrote:
jaynayak wrote:
Advertisement:
For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their
patients Novex. So when you want the most effective
painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously
undermines the advertisement’s argument?
(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are
intended to reduce other kinds of pain in
addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex
will do so for those patients who cannot
tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their
products to hospitals by selling these products
to the hospitals at the lowest price the manu-
facturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers,
Novex is available from pharmacies without a
doctor’s prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more
effective than competing brands of painkillers
that have been on the market longer than
Novex.


I bet D on this one. D points out that: the prevalence of Novex has some black reason. Maybe becoz the marketing of Novex is good enough to make the drug popular in the pharmacy store. Or becoz the marketting staffs of Novex and the sellers at those pharmacies share some commission so that Novex is stored in these pharmacies. D also says that "without a doctor's prescription" ---> the popularity of Novex is not qualified.


You just won the bet.

OA: D
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 09:20
jaynayak..i missed this one. can you please post OE for B and D, and also source?
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 263
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 09:32
i think the answer should be C

D says Novex is available from pharmacies without prescription - how does that relate to hospitals giving it to 3 out of 4 patients ?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 09:38
iced_tea wrote:
i think the answer should be C

D says Novex is available from pharmacies without prescription - how does that relate to hospitals giving it to 3 out of 4 patients ?


I think it should have been B - the only reason hospitals give 3 out of 4 patients novex is because they have to. This # is thus skewed.

It cannot be C because what if novex is not one of those manufacturers that sell novex for a cheaper price to hospitals. The choice says - "Many drug manufacturers " - not all

And you are correct, cant be D because pharmacies and hospitals are in different planets. So the source is surely not official
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 111
Location: Louvain, Belgium
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 10:10
I think the answer is C

it is the only option which undermines the argument "4 out of 5 hospitals recommend Nova..." this explains the numbers in the argument and says why they do not reflect the complete truth

option D is not based on the argument at all ... that cannot be the solution
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 263
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 10:19
gmatmba wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
i think the answer should be C

D says Novex is available from pharmacies without prescription - how does that relate to hospitals giving it to 3 out of 4 patients ?


I think it should have been B - the only reason hospitals give 3 out of 4 patients novex is because they have to. This # is thus skewed.

It cannot be C because what if novex is not one of those manufacturers that sell novex for a cheaper price to hospitals. The choice says - "Many drug manufacturers " - not all

And you are correct, cant be D because pharmacies and hospitals are in
ifferent planets. So the source is surely not official


many works in this case - if many of the drug manufacturers sell it to hospitals for a cheaper price and so hospitals provide it to patients - this does not necessarily mean that the drug is the most effective.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 10:58
iced_tea wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
iced_tea wrote:
i think the answer should be C

D says Novex is available from pharmacies without prescription - how does that relate to hospitals giving it to 3 out of 4 patients ?


I think it should have been B - the only reason hospitals give 3 out of 4 patients novex is because they have to. This # is thus skewed.

It cannot be C because what if novex is not one of those manufacturers that sell novex for a cheaper price to hospitals. The choice says - "Many drug manufacturers " - not all

And you are correct, cant be D because pharmacies and hospitals are in
ifferent planets. So the source is surely not official


many works in this case - if many of the drug manufacturers sell it to hospitals for a cheaper price and so hospitals provide it to patients - this does not necessarily mean that the drug is the most effective.


I get your point, but here many in "Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their products to hospitals" does not necessarily mean that they are selling novex. they could be selling other drugs, in which case this option is out of scope.
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 May 2006
Posts: 111
Location: Louvain, Belgium
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 11:01
you are correct there but only this option is related to the argument that because 4 out of 5 hospitals use Novatex, it is better.

if these drugs were used ebcause they were given at cheap costs to hospitals , it wud explain the contradiction
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 950
Location: France
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 11:05
foolz_rulz wrote:
you are correct there but only this option is related to the argument that because 4 out of 5 hospitals use Novatex, it is better.

if these drugs were used ebcause they were given at cheap costs to hospitals , it wud explain the contradiction


yea but how do you know Novex is the drug that is cheapers. It does not say all drugs, just says many

Btw, im going for B, you for C and OA is D ... go figure :)
_________________

I believe its yogurt!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 280
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 13:29
I will also go for (C).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 263
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2006, 15:59
gmatmba wrote:
foolz_rulz wrote:
you are correct there but only this option is related to the argument that because 4 out of 5 hospitals use Novatex, it is better.

if these drugs were used ebcause they were given at cheap costs to hospitals , it wud explain the contradiction


yea but how do you know Novex is the drug that is cheapers. It does not say all drugs, just says many

Btw, im going for B, you for C and OA is D ... go figure :)



actually OA is C. I just found this out.

this question is in OG, 11th ed

also see this
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ight=novex
  [#permalink] 24 Jun 2006, 15:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals achan 24 12 May 2010, 06:25
Experts publish their posts in the topic Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals Neochronic 10 14 Mar 2008, 12:02
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals rlevochkin 12 16 Jan 2006, 14:03
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals rahulraao 20 05 Oct 2005, 16:08
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals forrestgump 10 04 Apr 2005, 22:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.