Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 08:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:04) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Advertisement: For sinus pain, three out of four hospitals give their patients Novex. So when you want the most effective painkiller for sinus pain, Novex is the one to choose.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the advertisement’s argument?

(A) Some competing brands of painkillers are intended to reduce other kinds of pain in addition to sinus pain.
(B) Many hospitals that do not usually use Novex will do so for those patients who cannot tolerate the drug the hospitals usually use.
(C) Many drug manufacturers increase sales of their products to hospitals by selling these products to the hospitals at the lowest price the manufacturers can afford.
(D) Unlike some competing brands of painkillers, Novex is available from pharmacies without a doctor’s prescription.
(E) In clinical trials Novex has been found more effective than competing brands of painkillers that have been on the market longer than Novex.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 08:53
C seems obvious to me, but i'm quickly learning what's obvious to me is not necessarily right...:)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 09:41
ANother C
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 10:10
I believe this is an OG11 question.

C for me.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 10:39
One more C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2006, 11:22
This is C only
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 00:57
Hi,

I just encountered this problem in the OG11. I was shocked that my answer (D) was different than the official answer (C).

I would like to challenge the official answer, and from my search of the forum, many past posts tend to agree with D being the answer. Apparently from previous posts, this question appeared in other non official guides and the answer in those guides was D.

The question is totally misleading and factually incorrect. Hospitals (in the US or Canada) don't "give" patient prescription grade painkillers. If painkillers are administered in the hospitals, the hospitals don't refer to the drugs by their brand names, drugs are almost always referred to in their generic names in patients' charts. If painkillers are "given" to patients to take at home, outside of the hospitals, they are commonly prescribed by their generic names so that patients can choose to purchase generic drugs at lower costs.

Choice D makes the most sense because in the US, prescription grade painkillers are considered class III/II addictive narcotics and are carefully controlled by the DEA, and doctors are not likely to prescribe these drugs at will. Choice D make the most sense because if the drug can adequately function as a painkiller without a prescription, then it is the most convenient drug brand for doctors to recommend/"give" because patients can obtain the drug easily and they don't have to bother doctors to write new refill prescriptions, doctors and patients both save time and paper work.

Even though choice C is the OA from the OG11, choice C makes no sense whatsoever, especially within the rules of the GMAT. Choice C does not even mention Novex, which forces the test takers to make the assumption that the manufacturer of Novex is among the group that sells drugs at the lowest prices (prices that manufacturers can afford). And choice C gives the impression that 75% of hospitals give/dispense drugs with 'cost' being the sole determination; this makes no reasonable sense because drug effectiveness is more of a determinine factor than cost.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 02:01
Here, argument talks about the hospitals. Pharmacies (D) are out of scope.

One is supposed to answer questions on basis of what argument mentions or talks about, even if argument is "totally misleading and factually incorrect" in actual practice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2007, 09:35
I also do not understand C

The advertisement claims that the drug is the most effective painkiller and proves it by claiming that hospitals give it to their patients more often than any other painkiller (for sinus).

C is about the cost of the drug, claiming that the hospital will give away the drug because it costs them little to nothing. However this is a industry wide practice, and I would guess that all companies compete equally in this space. I would still conclude that the drug is considered more effective if it is what the doctors give patients.

I would be looking for an answer that states that there is a more effective painkiller, but it is not given away as often as N due to some other issue. Or a reason why this particular drug is given away more often...

C makes assumptions about hospitals as well; that they will give away the cheapest drug, and are motivated by cost...although it makes economic sense, I have no information that allows me to make this conclusion.

The only answer that touches on the behavior of the hospital vs effectiveness of the drug is B
  [#permalink] 29 Sep 2007, 09:35