Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 21

Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 17:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (03:15) correct 49% (01:32) wrong based on 191 sessions
Advertisement:

Of the many over-the-counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache. SinEase costs the least per dose. And SinEase is as effective per dose as the most effective of those other medications. So for relief from sinus headaches, SinEase is the best buy.

Which weakens the argument.

A. Most of the over-the-counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache are equally effective per dose in providing such relief.

B. Many of the over-the-counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache contain the same active ingredient as SinEase does.

C. People who suffer from frequent sinus headaches are strongly advised to consult a doctor before taking any over-the-counter medications.

D. An over-the-counter medication that is marketed for the relief of symptoms of head cold is identical in composition to SinEase but costs less per dose.

E. The per dose price for any given over-the-counter medication marketed for the relief of sinus headache is higher for smaller packages than it is for larger packages.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by jgomey on 23 Jan 2013, 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: Advertisement: Of the many over the counter medications [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 04:10
Expert's post
jgomey wrote:
Advertisement:

Of the many over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache. Sinease costs the least per dose, and sinese is as effective per dose as the most effective of those other medications. So for relief from sinus headaches, sinease is the best buy.

A. Most of the over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache are equally effective per dose in providing such relief.

B. Many of the over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache contain the same active ingredient as sinease does.

C. People who suffer from frequent sinus headaches are strongly advised to consult a doctor before taking any over the counter medications.

D. An over the counter medication that is marketed for the relief of symptoms of head cold is identical in composition to sinease but costs less per dose.

E. The per dose price for any given over the counter medication marketed for the relief of sinus headache is higher for smaller packages than it is for larger packages.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lets discuss it

rarely in weaken argument the word many is correct. moreover, we are talkink about a medice that is effective

I go for A
I like this question because use many words such as many or most where we have to be careful

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Advertisement: Of the many over the counter medications [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 11:19
The answers will be discussed whether or not the OA is put up. It would be helpful if after the Q the OA is put up so that atleast the time spent in trying to solve this question is not wasted waiting for someone to reveal the OA. Hope this is understood by all who don't put up OA after the Q waiting for the ans to be discussed.
Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2608 [0], given: 696

Re: Advertisement: Of the many over the counter medications [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 11:22
Expert's post
darsh wrote:
The answers will be discussed whether or not the OA is put up. It would be helpful if after the Q the OA is put up so that atleast the time spent in trying to solve this question is not wasted waiting for someone to reveal the OA. Hope this is understood by all who don't put up OA after the Q waiting for the ans to be discussed.

to be honest based on the forum rules the OA has to be put always at the bottom of the question

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 01:21
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2014, 13:13
carcass wrote:
jgomey wrote:
Advertisement:

Of the many over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache. Sinease costs the least per dose, and sinese is as effective per dose as the most effective of those other medications. So for relief from sinus headaches, sinease is the best buy.

A. Most of the over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache are equally effective per dose in providing such relief.

B. Many of the over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache contain the same active ingredient as sinease does.

C. People who suffer from frequent sinus headaches are strongly advised to consult a doctor before taking any over the counter medications.

D. An over the counter medication that is marketed for the relief of symptoms of head cold is identical in composition to sinease but costs less per dose.

E. The per dose price for any given over the counter medication marketed for the relief of sinus headache is higher for smaller packages than it is for larger packages.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lets discuss it

rarely in weaken argument the word many is correct. moreover, we are talkink about a medice that is effective

I go for A
I like this question because use many words such as many or most where we have to be careful

same here carcass.
a doubt though in option D . i narrowed down to A, B and D.
introduction of the words "head cold" sort of put me out of the blue. practically "head cold" may be equivalent "sinus", but considering CR, are we allowed the privilege to assume both to be the same?? i would have gone with D but rejected only because of the words "head cold".
as far as option B, many contain same active ingredient, what about other ingredients?? they may not be the same as Sinease, unless explicitly mentioned like in option D, that both have the "same composition".

Hence IMO option A. do correct me in case i am wrong!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2014, 13:40
I would go with D. Although the other medicines might be as effective, sinease is the cheapest, and therefore probably the best buy (as the argument states) - however what if there is a cheaper alternative for the same symptoms?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2014, 14:07
arnabs wrote:
carcass wrote:
jgomey wrote:
Advertisement:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Lets discuss it

I go for A

same here carcass.
a doubt though in option D . i narrowed down to A, B and D.
introduction of the words "head cold" sort of put me out of the blue. practically "head cold" may be equivalent "sinus", but considering CR, are we allowed the privilege to assume both to be the same?? i would have gone with D but rejected only because of the words "head cold".
as far as option B, many contain same active ingredient, what about other ingredients?? they may not be the same as Sinease, unless explicitly mentioned like in option D, that both have the "same composition".

Hence IMO option A. do correct me in case i am wrong!!

So Arnabs - I went for D - I think that's the right answer based on what the OA seems to suggest. This is why (to help my own understanding as much as anything)

Says that this fancy Sinease drug is as effective as those medications specifically designed to treat sinus headaches per dose, but costs less. So I was on the lookout for anywhere where (a) maybe the dose level of Sinease differs from those other medicines or (b) as in this case, there's a viable substitute (that came to me more as I read the options)

A. Most of the over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache are equally effective per dose in providing such relief. - states what we already knew. the question stem already tells us that the OTC medicines are as effective as the Sinease medicine, so this is basically saying B=A after the question says A=B (make sense?)

B. Many of the over the counter medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache contain the same active ingredient as sinease does. - ok, so its the same, and its as effective, we already know that, won't make a difference

C. People who suffer from frequent sinus headaches are strongly advised to consult a doctor before taking any over the counter medications. - irrelevant

D. An over the counter medication that is marketed for the relief of symptoms of head cold is identical in composition to sinease but costs less per dose. - So this is 'the one'. There's an identical drug, and can provide the same relief the Sinus does (the question states that Sinus is the best buy for sinus headaches - clearly this one is better as its cheaper. Hence D.

E. The per dose price for any given over the counter medication marketed for the relief of sinus headache is higher for smaller packages than it is for larger packages. - nope irrelevant
Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter medications   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2014, 14:07