Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter (OTC)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter (OTC) [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 13:38
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:52) correct 25% (02:40) wrong based on 1 sessions
Advertisement:
Of the many over-the-counter (OTC) medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache, SineEase costs the least per dose. And SineEase is as effective per dose as the most effective of those other medications. So for relief from sinus headaches, SineEase is the best buy.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
A) Most of the OTC medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache are equally effective per dose in providing such relief
B) Many of the OTC medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache contain the same active ingredient as SineEase
C) People who suffer from frequent sinus headaches are strongly advised to consult a doctor before taking any OTC medication
D) An OTC medication that is marketed for the relief of symptoms of head cold is identical in composition to SineEase but costs less per dose
E) The per dose price for any given OTC medication marketed for the relief of sinus headache is higher for smaller packages than it is for larger packages

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

Re: CR SineEase [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 13:55
I also go for D
"identical in composition" means we can assume that they can also be used for sinus
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 15:01
My vote is for D.
Here is how I analyzed the question:

We prefer SineEase for two reasons:
a) Costs less per dose than other OTC medication.
b) As effective(if not more) than other medications

To weaken the argument, we need something that costs less and is an effective treatment.

Option D says that there is another medication which
-costs less than Sinease
-identical composition as Sinease.

So am assuming that the other medicine that has identical composition will treat problems of sinus headache.Buying that would be a better choice for a consumer.

So D looks like the right answer.

Can somebody prove why E is wrong. Is it because it does not talk about the effectiveness of the medicine.

510 on my first GMAT. 610 on second GMAT.!
The struggle continues.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 15:08
D.

On first read i felt nothing could be the answer. Even D doesn't talk about the effectiveness of the medicine.

Quote:
E) The per dose price for any given OTC medication marketed for the relief of sinus headache is higher for smaller packages than it is for larger packages

E talks about any given OTC. So, SineEase is also part of it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2004, 17:43
A) Most of the OTC medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache are equally effective per dose in providing such relief
- Yes, most may be equally effective, but there's no mention that these medications are better priced than SineEase.

B) Many of the OTC medications marketed for the relief of sinus headache contain the same active ingredient as SineEase
- Out of scope, we're not dealign with the ingredeints but what presents the best buy

C) People who suffer from frequent sinus headaches are strongly advised to consult a doctor before taking any OTC medication
- That's just plain common sense and is out of scope anyway

D) An OTC medication that is marketed for the relief of symptoms of head cold is identical in composition to SineEase but costs less per dose
- I think head cold is the same as Sinus headache. So if there is a medication that has the same ingredient and coposition as SineEase, but cost less than SineEase, then the claim that SineEase is the best buy is wrong. D is my choice.

-We're not told if SineEase is sold in small or large packages, so it's not possible to make a comparison.

D is stil my choice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 174 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 17:40
OA is D

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter (OTC) [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2014, 03:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Advertisement: Of the many over-the-counter (OTC)   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2014, 03:06