Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: Over 80 percent of the people who test-drive

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Advertisement: Over 80 percent of the people who test-drive [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 07:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Advertisement: Over 80 percent of the people who test-drive a Zenith car end up buying one. So be warned: you should not test-drive a Zenith unless you are prepared to buy one, because if you so much as drive a Zenith around the block, there is a better than 80 percent chance you will choose to buy it.
If the advertisement is interpreted as implying that the quality of the car is unusually impressive, which one of the following, if true, most clearly casts doubt on that implication?

(A) Test-drives of Zenith cars are, according to Zenith sales personnel, generally more extensive than a drive around the block and encounter varied driving conditions.
(B) Usually dealers have enough Zenith models in stock that prospective purchasers are able to test-drive the exact model that they are considering for purchase.
(C) Those who take test-drives in cars are, in overwhelming proportions, people who have already decided to buy the model driven unless some fault should become evident.
(D) Almost 90 percent of the people who purchase a car do not do so on the day they take a first test-drive but do so after another test-drive.
(E) In some Zenith cars, a minor part has broken within the first year, and Zenith dealers have issued notices to owners that the dealers will replace the part with a redesigned one at no cost to owners.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 07:35
C.

Here we learn that out of all the people ready to buy the zenieth 20 percent decline after driving it.

Casts doubts on quality.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 08:27
I will go with E as a choice

The implication is that the quality of car is unusually impressive. The only choice that casts doubt on this implication is choice E.

I chose to not go with the choice C as I believe it to be a decoy trying to include information not necessary for the discussion. The author states that the information in the passage should be used to interpret the car's quality and nothing beyond that.

What is the original answer.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 08:43
It looks like C to me

If they test drive only if they have decided to buy the car, then the implication that test driving the car will make you want to buy the car because of its quality is false.

Test driving does not cause a person to buy.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 19:41
It is C I guess.

The test drivers are already decided, and hence they purchase charges 80% of the time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 19:52
The argument says that if you test drive a car, there is a more than 80% chance you will end up buying it.

Choice C says that people have already made up their mind to buy the car even before test driving it. So the implication is doubtful....

I think C is the best answer
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 19:55
C !

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2007, 21:11
Thanks guys...the answer is C indeed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-Zenith car [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 21:41
No need reasoning. C is right on the target.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2007, 22:07
My answer is C ... if people taking test drive have predecided then a 20% drop rate suggests some dissatisfaction about the car....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 00:38
Straight C.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 01:35