Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: The world's best coffee beans come from

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 00:36
Could the statement" not all of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " be translated to

" Some of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " ???
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 00:38
joemama142000 wrote:
Could the statement" not all of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " be translated to

" Some of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " ???


:yes
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 00:43
joemama142000 wrote:
Could the statement" not all of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " be translated to

" Some of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " ???


Some means at least one and perhaps all. If at least one or perhaps all of Kreemo's competitors use Columbian coffee beans then wouldn't that strengthen the argument?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 00:54
joemama142000 wrote:
joemama142000 wrote:
Could the statement" not all of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " be translated to

" Some of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell " ???


Some means at least one and perhaps all. If at least one or perhaps all of Kreemo's competitors use Columbian coffee beans then wouldn't that strengthen the argument?


if "not all" means "some", how can "some" means "perhaps all" ?
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 01:03
This is from NOva's GMAT

Some means " at least one and perhaps all"

Ex.

"Some of Mary's friends went to the party"

" it would be unwarranted , based on this statement , to assume that some of Mary's friends did not go to the party. Althought it may seem decieving to say that some of Mary's friends went to the party when in fact all of them did, it is nonetheless technically consistent with the meaning of some"
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 01:07
joemama142000 wrote:
This is from NOva's GMAT

Some means " at least one and perhaps all"

Ex.

"Some of Mary's friends went to the party"

" it would be unwarranted , based on this statement , to assume that some of Mary's friends did not go to the party. Althought it may seem decieving to say that some of Mary's friends went to the party when in fact all of them did, it is nonetheless technically consistent with the meaning of some"


but thats different. "not all" means "some" means "not perhaps all", but "some" without the condition that it means "not all" may mean "perhaps all" !
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 01:15
now im all confused :?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1493
Location: Germany
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 01:27
joemama142000 wrote:
now im all confused :?


when you say that "some" went to the party, it leaves the possibility open that "perhaps all" went to the party. but when u know that "not all" went to the party, u can say that "some" went to the party but u cannot say that "perhaps all" went to the party because u have the pre-evidence that "not all" went to the party . the difference between the 1st and the 2nd example is that the 2nd one has a restriction "not all" while the 1st one has not.
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Posts: 941
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 01:30
thanks christoph
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 503
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 01:31
I would go with C.

If Kreemo sells more coffee than any other company in that case it needs to buy more Colombian beans to add it to its blends. Hence the conclusion is negated in this case. Hence the conclusion is flawed only if is 'C' true.


What say?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 998
Location: South Korea
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 06:31
This is a prime example of an error type - absolute value vs. relative value.

The absolute value does not guarantee the relative value.

Thus (C) should be the answer.
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 06:54
Straight C. Kreemo sells more coffee, so who`s to say that they don`t "water down" the amount of Colombian coffee sold in each bag???? We are given ambiguous statistics, so just because Kreemo buys the most doesn`t necessarily mean that they blend their brands with the highest proportions.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2004
Posts: 1711
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 06:58
Hey christoph, nice explanation there. Thanks :)
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2255
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Coffeee [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 10:36
This is a classical GMAT question, I would suggest everybody remember it.

Premise: The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend.
Fact: Kreemo Coffee purchases more Colombian beans than anybody else.
Conclusion: Kreemo Coffee is the best.
Assumption to fill the jump in the logic: K buys more of C beans, so K must put more C beans in its blend of coffee, so K's coffee is the best.

The flaw is that K may buy more C beans, but it may not put more C beans in its blend of coffee. If it produces a lot more coffee than anybody else, then it may put less C beans in each unit of its coffee.

This is why C is correct.

(B) not all of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell
This is not a flaw in the logic. If the more C beans the better your coffee are, for those competitiors who don't use C beans we know for sure their coffee is not good. It flows with logic and does not contradict with the conclusion that K's coffee is the best.
_________________

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2004
Posts: 1062
Location: CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 14:48
Thanks HongHu...that makes sense
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2005
Posts: 595
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2005, 14:59
C should be.
  [#permalink] 24 Nov 2005, 14:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from kp1811 1 04 Jan 2012, 05:52
Advertisement: The world's best coffee beans come from SimaQ 5 04 Jun 2006, 02:56
Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from remgeo 1 07 Apr 2006, 07:25
Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from WinWinMBA 6 02 May 2005, 14:37
Advertisement: The worlds best coffee beans come from dushver 4 27 Aug 2004, 02:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertisement: The world's best coffee beans come from

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.