Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: The world's best coffee beans come from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Advertisement: The world's best coffee beans come from [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 17:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Advertisement: The world's best coffee beans come from Colombia. The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend, and no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee, Inc. So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo's coffee, you're buying the best blended coffee available today.

The reasoning of the argument in the advertisement is flawed because it overlooks the possibility that

(A) the equipment used by Kreemo to blend and package its coffee is no different from that used by most other coffee producers

(B) not all of Kreemo's competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell

(C) Kreemo sells more coffee than does any other company

(D) Kreemo's coffee is the most expensive blended coffee available today

(E) the best unblended coffee is better than the best blended coffee
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 19:06
I go with B. If not all of Kreemos's competitors use Colombian coffee beans, then it means some uses Colombian coffee beans. If so, how can Kreemo claim that you buy the best blended coffee when you choose the Kreemo brand.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 19:46
I think its C.
Since Kreemo sells more coffee than its competitors, the coffee would not have high concentration of beans.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 20:15
My answer is B.

The argument is that consumers would be buying the best blended coffee because Kreemo's coffee contains Columbian coffee beans. If some of the competitors use Columbian coffee beans in their coffee as well, then Kreemo would not be the best.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 22:42
C is correct
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 22:43
What's the OE?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 22:55
arsenic, can you explain a bit more? I still just dont get how the answer is C.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 22:57
unfortuately i dont have the explainations
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:02
'C'? How can it be? :shock:
Not at all convincing. I'm unable to link 'C' with the argument...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:10
For me, the majority of the CR's i get wrong are the ones where I eliminate the answer because i think it is out of scope. I am trying to figure out how C is the correct answer but i just can not comprehend. Hopefully someone can shed some light.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:16
Here is my explanation:

According to the question, a coffee that has maximum concentration of Columbian beans is the best. Then it says that Kreemo buys maximum amount of beans. Suppose, Kreemo buys 100 beans and sells 100 cups which means a cup has a bean of coffee.

However, if Kreemo were to sell 200 cups of coffee, a cup of coffee will have only 1/2 a bean and hence reduced concentration. This will weaken the argument. Please let me know if my argument doesnt make sense.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:20
arsenicdoped wrote:
Here is my explanation:

According to the question, a coffee that has maximum concentration of Columbian beans is the best. Then it says that Kreemo buys maximum amount of beans. Suppose, Kreemo buys 100 beans and sells 100 cups which means a cup has a bean of coffee.

However, if Kreemo were to sell 200 cups of coffee, a cup of coffee will have only 1/2 a bean and hence reduced concentration. This will weaken the argument. Please let me know if my argument doesnt make sense.

I was on the understanding that a brand like Kreemo would not adjust their raw materials (coffee beans in this case) in accordance with how much they intend to sell. Any sane company would do that. It's like saying Dell computers buys 4000 intel chips to fit 4000 computers. For some reason, Dell intend to sell 6000 computers this time round but still buys 4000 intel chips. Doesn't make sense does it?

I still think B has a good claim. As long as some other companies use colombian beans, then Kreemo can't lay claim that they make the best blended coffee.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:20
thanks arsenic, i would so get this one wrong on the real deal.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:23
arsenic, I understand your logic. But the statement also says that Kreemo buys more coffee beans than any other competitors, so the fact that it sells more doesn't necessarily make its blend less concentrated.

I still think B is the best answer....... :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:29
What's the source of this question? Is there an OE?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:30
Thanks for the explaination arsenic, but I'm also still not able to correlate :(
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:39
This is from paper test 31
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:51
C)...

Premise 1:The world's best coffee beans come from Colombia.

Principle: The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend.

Premise 2: No company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee, Inc.

Conclusion: So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo's coffee, you're buying the best blended coffee available today.

Assumption: More beans are in 1 package of coffee. but what if Kreemo sells more coffee and the greater number of beans is distributed in more packages of coffee. then the number of beans may be the same as the number of beans in the coffee of Kreemo's competitors. higher concentration * more packages = lower concentration * fewer packages.

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 23:53
B) is out right away b/c "not all" at the beginning of the sentence is too weak for a weakening question b/c there are still some competitors that are not affected by B)

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 00:10
Let's see.

Fact: The world's best coffee beans come from Colombia.

Premise : The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend.

evidence: no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee.

........ Assumption: ?????

Conclusion: if you buy a can of Kreemo's coffee, you're buying the best-blended coffee available today.

Based on the premise and evidence, there has to be an assumption in order to make the conclusion. The assumption is that, the ratio of Colombian coffee in the blend is very high.

Now purchasing more coffee than any competitor will not automatically make sure Kreemos uses higher percentage of Colombian coffee unless we assume that Kreemos sells is at least as much as its competitor.

if it sells more coffee that its competitors does, then the ratio of Colombian coffee in each bean might not be higher than that of its competitor.

so C identifies the flaw, hence the right answer.

hey ya......

[#permalink] 22 Nov 2005, 00:10