Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [5] , given: 6

Advertisement: The world s best coffee beans come from [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2009, 23:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:06) correct 54% (01:06) wrong based on 340 sessions
Advertisement: The world’s best coffee beans come from Colombia. The more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend, and no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee. Inc. So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today.

The reasoning of the argument in the advertisement is flawed because it overlooks the possibility that

(A) the equipment used by Kreemo to blend and package its coffee is no different from that used by most other coffee producers
(B) not all of Kreemo’s competitors use Colombian coffee beans in the blends of coffee they sell
(C) Kreemo sells more coffee than does any other company
(D) Kreemo’s coffee is the most expensive blended coffee available today
(E) the best unblended coffee is better than the best blended coffee

How to solve this kind of questions? Let me know how you workout on this question.
---- Explanation Please -----
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

9 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 744 [9] , given: 11

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

Everybody seems to be on the right track with this one, but I wanted to respond to a few complaints. This is a VERY realistic GMAT question. There are no ambiguous answers. The problem is only if you spend too much time writing stories in your head, in which case, any answer choice can begin to look good. This argument says they buy the most Colombian beans, but think of it this way:

If I buy 10 beans and you only buy one bean, it may look like I must have the best coffee.

But if you only sell one cup of coffee, your one bean means the overall quality of your coffee is super excellent.
If I then sell 10,000 cups of coffee, splitting my ten beans between them, the overall quality of my coffee is super poor.

This is why the answer is what it is. Don't get into thought processes involving the history of the company, why people buy their coffee, what effect technology may have...ANYTHING that isn't in the passage itself. Keep in mind that this question asks you weaken THE ARGUMENT, not THE CONCLUSION, so you won't be bringing in any new information.

Word up.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [5] , given: 0

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
I think it should be C.

Kreemo sells more coffee than does any other company. It is true that Kreemo purchases most Colombian beans but it is quite possible that Kreemo mixes these Colombian beans in their other blends because Kreemo sells more coffee than does any other company. Hence we cannot say that if we are buying Kreemo coffee we are buying the best blend.
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 1

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
The correct answer is C. The advertisement says that tha more the amount of Columbian bean in the coffee, the better is the coffee. Kreemo buys more Columbian bean than any other company. But it is possible that Kreemo produces more coffee than its competitor. So that averge amount of Columbian bean in every unit of Kreemo's coffee can be less than its competitors, and therefore its coffee can be NOT the best blended coffee

Choose Life

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
I'd say C.

The statement says that ratio of Colombian beans to total beans in a blend affects quality.

So

Colombian beans
---------------- = quality (roughly)
Total number of beans

The conclusion is therefore the more Colombian beans purchased, the higher the quality.

However the second part of the equation is not clear, i.e. how many beans total they use.

So if Kreemo's sales are sufficiently high, they may be diluting their coffee with lesser quality beans, and hence not have the highest quality coffee. This is also born out by real world experience (not that I'm suggesting you rely on that for GMAT =) ).

Using process of elimination, A states all equipment used is the same, and therefore removes a possible alternative factor affecting quality, strengthening the argument rather than weakening it. B also strengthens it. D price has no connection to quality, or to the argument made, which is solely referring to quality. E may be true, but the statement specifically says "You're buying the best blended coffee available today" and so is out of scope.

Both methods reach the same conclusion so I'm fairly confident.

What is OA?
2 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [2] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 08:15
This post received
KUDOS
Fluke,
I might agree with you to a certain extent.
the source is unknown (well, it is from 1000 series, but is it a seflmade question or it came from GMAT-paper tests, or any other source i don't know).

A good question does not require additional assumptions to arrive to correct answer choice.

The argument says:
premise 1: "the more Colombian beans in a blend of coffee, the better the blend".
It means that best blend is achieved when a coffee maker uses 100% of Columbian beans.

premise 2: "no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee. Inc"

Conclusion "Kreemo’s coffee is best blended coffee " (this is why E is wrong).

So the K's coffee is best because they buy a lot of C beans.

To weaken a question one must weaken the conclusion. But, the correct answers do not have to absolutely, without a doubt, in all circumstances weaken the conclusion. They only have to open up the possibility that the conclusion is not valid. The correct answer on a weaken question will typically accomplish this by introducing a new piece of information that calls into question an assumption made by the author.

The possible assumptions made by author are:
1. KC does not resell Columbian beans,
2. KC uses all Columbian beans in production of coffee
3. None of competitors puts more Columbian beans in coffee than KC does.
4. Quantity of Columbian beans and the coffee sold as cans perfectly correlates.
5. beans are used in production of coffee.
6....etc

You are right saying that:
Quote:
it overlooks the possibility that the coffee blend in the can may not even contain the purchased Columbian beans

your statement attacks the 2nd assumption.

I definitively agree with this statement:
Quote:
" is not reselling the columbian beans at a higher price and used some other bean for the coffee blend"
it weakens the 1st assumption.

this is are both very valid weakening arguments, but in test-makers view these are too easy to spot.
Thus probably they decided to use the argument that weakens the 3rd assumption:
"C) Kreemo sells more coffee than does any other company "

but this answer is too stretched. Why?!

Because it requires additional assumptions, such as "all coffee beans that KC buys, it uses later in production", "purchases are equal to sales", "no columbian beans are stored in stock", etc...

But C opens up a possibility that high volumes does not necessarily mean high % or in our case higher quality.

In my example above you may change the figure 20 in 400 resulting in 40% instead of 2% concentration of Columbian beans in a cup of coffee. This strenghtens the argument.
But also the total volume of beans a company purchases leaves a gap in possibility to intrepret differently the given information.

If the argument said that KC sells less coffee than any other company and buys more columbian beans than any other company, it would be much difficult to weaken such argument. (becuase it would result in higher concentration of coffee beans).

Hope it helps.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 03:49
This post received
KUDOS
I would provide may be the best explanation to this question.

let us say there are three companies A, B and Kreemo Coffee (KC).

Company:________________________ A | B | KC |
Columbian beans used in production:___1 | 2 | 20 |
Total beans used in production:_______10 |10 |1000| <- WHO PRODUCES/SELLS MORE?!
concentration (quality):_____________10%|20%| 2%| <- What is the best quality?

The higher the concentration the better the quality of coffe.

therefore C is the best answer, whihc is saying that although KC sells more it's quality isn't the best.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2009, 12:39
Is it A?
The logic of the argument is flawed because it assumes that the best blended coffee depends solely on the quality of coffee beans. Therefore, all other elements impacting the quality of blended coffee are assumed to be constant including blending equipment.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2009, 00:25
IMO A...

"no company purchases more Colombian beans than Kreemo Coffee . Inc. So it only stands to reason that if you buy a can of Kreemo’s coffee, you’re buying the best blended coffee available today. " - The argument is flawed because 'purchasing more beans ' - doesn't always mean that they use more beans in the blend. They could still be using the same quantity as any other coffee producers. I guess the argument overlooks this very possibility.
So imo A has to be right.
Please post the OA..
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 06:08
OA is C.

I chose A but A is actually strengthening the argument so eliminating the Flaw henceforth. got it...thnx

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2009, 07:23
I'd say it's C.
It took me 2-3 minutes to figure it out, though. :roll:

The reasoning is that Kreemo might buy more beans, but there's no guarantee about its concentration per package.
Current Student
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2009, 18:00
yeah C, easy pick.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2009, 22:44
C. Initially I choose A. but as explained above choce C best address the flaw.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 05:47
Given the choices , C looks the best bet .
Not because it addresses the issue directly , but cause all the other options do not fit the bill .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 06:06
I felt the question to be tricky - I went for A.... :cry:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 06:43
I am not sure about the answer C, for it is not very convincing. If Kreemo is selling more than competitors, it does not mean that because of low price or low Colombian beans. It may be because of image, or high quality of coffee. In fact it assures that if Kreemo is selling more, then its coffee is of higher quality than its competitors. So Kreemo is using more of Colombian beens than its competitors.

In my opinion this question is not a GMAT type question, because GMAC tries to make questions without ambigous answers. It tries to be on safer side
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Insead Sept '16
GMAT Date: 09-30-2014
GPA: 3.57
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 08:11
C

The argument: The more Colombian beans you have in your coffee blend, the better your overall product.
This argument would be flawed by statement C; Kreemo could be selling so much coffee that the Colombian contribution would be very diluted, thereby negating the argument that Kreemo coffee contains the most beans.

Life with the GMAT:

Jerome: Ben, c'est 20 secondes de plus qu'hier sur le meme parcours! C'etait bien le meme parcours la, non?!
Gigi: Mais t'enerve pas, Jerome, je crois que t'as accroche une porte.
Jerome: *$&#(*%&(*#%&

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 10:09
C for me
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 20:07
another C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - Blend it well [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2010, 23:20
it is obvious that ans is C

if kreemo sells more cofee than others than using more columbian coffee beans doesn't really guarantee them better blend..
Re: CR - Blend it well   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2010, 23:20