Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Location: uk
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 19:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (02:18) correct 53% (01:19) wrong based on 195 sessions
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing advertisements allows publishers to keep the prices per copy of their publications much lower than would otherwise be possible. Therefore, consumers benefit economically from advertising.
Consumer: But who pays for the advertising that pays for low-priced newspapers and magazines? We consumers do, because advertisers pass along advertising costs to us through the higher prices they charge for their products.

Which of the following best describes how the consumer counters the advertiser’s argument?

(A) By alleging something that, if true, would weaken the plausibility of the advertiser’s conclusion
(B) By questioning the truth of the purportedly factual statement on which the advertiser’s conclusion is based
(C) By offering an interpretation of the advertiser’s opening statement that, if accurate, shows that there is an implicit contradiction in it
(D) By pointing out that the advertiser’s point of view is biased
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 03:09
A : consumer benefit
C : consumers end up paying for the benefit

"C" contradicts "A" by providing evidence that weakens A's conclusion. That's A
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 93
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 06:50
dips wrote:
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing advertisements allows publishers to keep the prices per copy of their publications much lower than would otherwise be possible. Therefore, consumers benefit economically from advertising.
Consumer: But who pays for the advertising that pays for low-priced newspapers and magazines? We consumers do, because advertisers pass along advertising costs to us through the higher prices they charge for their products.

Which of the following best describes how the consumer counters the advertiser’s argument?

(A) By alleging something that, if true, would weaken the plausibility of the advertiser’s conclusion
(B) By questioning the truth of the purportedly factual statement on which the advertiser’s conclusion is based
(C) By offering an interpretation of the advertiser’s opening statement that, if accurate, shows that there is an implicit contradiction in it
(D) By pointing out that the advertiser’s point of view is biased
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic


hmmm i think the answer should be B but dont know why its A. i am not convinced with A much... i need expert's explanation please!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 31
WE 1: 3 years IT+Telecom
WE 2: 2 years Analytics + Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 05:40
Not sure about why is C wrong...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 269
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 11:42
Could someone pls explain why C is not correct
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [1] , given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 20:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
I found C a distraction. No statements are "implicit contradiction" unless they are paradox. Advertiser has a point.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2010
Posts: 205
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 14:07
In C, there is no implicit contradiction, A and B is very close....
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Nov 2010
Posts: 1691
Location: United States (IN)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 20:02
The answer is C because C is directly attacking A's conclusion that "Consumers are benefited". As per Powerscore CR, once we separate the premises and conclusion of A's argument, it's clear that C does not interpret anything, and also "but" is a strong contradictory/contrast word.
_________________

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 114
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 12:02
dips wrote:
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing advertisements allows publishers to keep the prices per copy of their publications much lower than would otherwise be possible. Therefore, consumers benefit economically from advertising.
Consumer: But who pays for the advertising that pays for low-priced newspapers and magazines? We consumers do, because advertisers pass along advertising costs to us through the higher prices they charge for their products.

Which of the following best describes how the consumer counters the advertiser’s argument?

(A) By alleging something that, if true, would weaken the plausibility of the advertiser’s conclusion
(B) By questioning the truth of the purportedly factual statement on which the advertiser’s conclusion is based
(C) By offering an interpretation of the advertiser’s opening statement that, if accurate, shows that there is an implicit contradiction in it
(D) By pointing out that the advertiser’s point of view is biased
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic


Can someone explain why 'E" is wrong.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 305
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 13:09
Expert's post
As for (C), I don't see any implicit contradiction in the advertiser's claim. An implicit contradiction would render the argument invalid without the consumer having to pipe up in the first place. What the consumer does is points out something that, if true (low-priced newspapers end up costing consumers more because of advertising) would weaken the advertiser's argument, which is answer (A).

As for (B), what is the factual statement that is being questioned? The advertiser is making a claim, and the advertising is challenging the validity of that claim.
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2011
Posts: 22
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 16:40
There is no contradiction in the advertiser's statement. Hence choice C is not true.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 114
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 03:29
ChrisLele wrote:
As for (C), I don't see any implicit contradiction in the advertiser's claim. An implicit contradiction would render the argument invalid without the consumer having to pipe up in the first place. What the consumer does is points out something that, if true (low-priced newspapers end up costing consumers more because of advertising) would weaken the advertiser's argument, which is answer (A).

As for (B), what is the factual statement that is being questioned? The advertiser is making a claim, and the advertising is challenging the validity of that claim.


Can you please explain why 'E' is wrong. OA is 'A'.
But for me 'E' is right, as it clearly explain that Advertiser is narrowly thinking on his explanation.
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 1794
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3680 [0], given: 185

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 05:27
Expert's post
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic

Dear Jitgoel, Here is choice E for you. Can you review the choice while focusing on the underlined portion and argue if the consumer's counter follows along those lines. Take a minute to think and I am sure you will get the answer. Ask your self -
1. What does "that are economic mean"
2. Does the consumer's counter apply to the above given this context. Isn't consumer's argument about effects that are economic.
s
_________________

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 114
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 20:46
egmat wrote:
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic

Dear Jitgoel, Here is choice E for you. Can you review the choice while focusing on the underlined portion and argue if the consumer's counter follows along those lines. Take a minute to think and I am sure you will get the answer. Ask your self -
1. What does "that are economic mean"
2. Does the consumer's counter apply to the above given this context. Isn't consumer's argument about effects that are economic.
s



I have not concentrated on the last three words "that are economic". Thanks for the explanation
Current Student
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 514
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 269

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 00:23
ChrisLele wrote:
As for (C), I don't see any implicit contradiction in the advertiser's claim. An implicit contradiction would render the argument invalid without the consumer having to pipe up in the first place. What the consumer does is points out something that, if true (low-priced newspapers end up costing consumers more because of advertising) would weaken the advertiser's argument, which is answer (A).

As for (B), what is the factual statement that is being questioned? The advertiser is making a claim, and the advertising is challenging the validity of that claim.


Hi Chris

Why do you say there is no implicit contadiction in the advertiser's claim? (I think there is a contradiction which has been highlighted by the consumer in its statement)
I did not get this point of yours "implicit contradiction would render the argument invalid without the consumer having to pipe up in the first place. "
Please, if possible, explain.
_________________

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2010
Posts: 336
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 33

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 03:19
My two cents . option C is wrong because the advertisers 'opening sentence' just says advertising helps to keep the newspaper cost low. Which in all cases is true. that consumer benefits from this is stated in the next statement. the consumer doesn't interpret the 1st statement but rather analyzes the consumer benefit aspect in the 2nd statement.
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Matriculating
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 929
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2013, 21:58
Although I started like this in the beginning.
Advertiser - consumer benefit
Consumer - consumer end up paying for the benefit

Let me see if I can unpack B, C and E.

(B) By "questioning" the "truth" of the purportedly factual statement on which the advertiser’s conclusion is based
Keywords - questioning, truth. Any choice in GMAT which alludes to questioning the truth of the statement is wrong most of the time. Since GMAT CR is based on the fact that "facts" can never be questioned - no matter how ridiculous the argument is. You can question the assumption not the premises. I remember some OG questions similar to this. You have to be very careful when choice B says something like this. That smells rat. B gone.

(C) By offering an interpretation of the advertiser’s opening statement that, if accurate, shows that there is an implicit contradiction in it
Keywords -implicit contradiction.

Advertiser - consumer benefit
Consumer - consumer end up paying for the benefit

Ofcourse the consumer does not interpret the advertiser as a paradox. These are 2 separate statement (see above). So C must be wrong.

Lastly (E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic
Keywords - Narrowly restricts, economic. This is very tricky.

Advertiser is optimistic about the economic advantages and pitching for the benefits consumers have. Consumer don't think do. Consumer have a different view. Infact they have a totally contradictory opinion that advertisers make the deal uneconomical by passing on the advertising costs for the products in the magazines. Hence make the product appear more expensive than would have been without advertising. Advertising then must be having both the effects -reducing the price for the publication per copy and increasing the price of the products advertised in magazine. Consumer did not contradict the low cost of publication copies. They know it is low. They questioned the effect of advertising that is causing them to pay more for the products in the magazines. Which eventually weakens the advertiser's conclusion - "Therefore, consumers benefit economically from advertising". E is out.

jitgoel wrote:
dips wrote:
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing advertisements allows publishers to keep the prices per copy of their publications much lower than would otherwise be possible. Therefore, consumers benefit economically from advertising.
Consumer: But who pays for the advertising that pays for low-priced newspapers and magazines? We consumers do, because advertisers pass along advertising costs to us through the higher prices they charge for their products.

Which of the following best describes how the consumer counters the advertiser’s argument?

(A) By alleging something that, if true, would weaken the plausibility of the advertiser’s conclusion
(B) By questioning the truth of the purportedly factual statement on which the advertiser’s conclusion is based
(C) By offering an interpretation of the advertiser’s opening statement that, if accurate, shows that there is an implicit contradiction in it
(D) By pointing out that the advertiser’s point of view is biased
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic


Can someone explain why 'E" is wrong.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 12:25
Can someone explain why E is wrong ! The above explanations for E being wrong dont satisfy me !
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 395
Location: India
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 10

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 17:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
dips wrote:
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn by publishing advertisements allows publishers to keep the prices per copy of their publications much lower than would otherwise be possible. Therefore, consumers benefit economically from advertising.
Consumer: But who pays for the advertising that pays for low-priced newspapers and magazines? We consumers do, because advertisers pass along advertising costs to us through the higher prices they charge for their products.

Which of the following best describes how the consumer counters the advertiser’s argument?

(A) By alleging something that, if true, would weaken the plausibility of the advertiser’s conclusion
(B) By questioning the truth of the purportedly factual statement on which the advertiser’s conclusion is based
(C) By offering an interpretation of the advertiser’s opening statement that, if accurate, shows that there is an implicit contradiction in it
(D) By pointing out that the advertiser’s point of view is biased
(E) By arguing that the advertiser too narrowly restricts the discussion to the effects of advertising that are economic


Dear Shilpi85,

The advertiser's argument is :
"publishing advertisements allows publishers to keep the prices per copy of their publications much lower than would otherwise be possible."

It is based on economic considerations

The consumer's counter:

"But who pays for the advertising that pays for low-priced newspapers and magazines? "

Again it is based on economic considerations

So we cannot say that the consumer thinks that the advertiser narrowly restricts the discussions to effects that are economic because he himself is countering on the basis of effects that are economic.
_________________

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 22

Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 21:19
Thanks You for the explanation above .It now makes sense ! :)
Re: Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2013, 21:19
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn Amit05 22 21 May 2007, 07:46
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn arjsingh1976 16 30 Oct 2006, 04:29
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn rkatl 7 25 Aug 2006, 10:19
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn prude_sb 3 04 Jun 2006, 07:31
Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn nakib77 6 01 Nov 2005, 03:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Advertiser: The revenue that newspapers and magazines earn

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.