Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertisers typically use associated images rather than

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Advertisers typically use associated images rather than [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 11:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Advertisers typically use associated images rather than rational argument to pitch a health-oriented or dietary product, working on the average person's insecurities about physical appeal and strengthening our society's growing obsession with youth. As a result, most consumers choose their health purchases on the basis of unconscious and false expectations. It is no wonder that so many Americans today feel disappointed with the reality of their lives and unfulfilled as human beings.

The reader's ability to assess the reasonableness of the writer's claim above would be significantly enhanced by knowledge of all the following EXCEPT:

A. the methods by which false expectations are raised and manipulated by advertising for health-oriented or dietary products
B. the ways in which decisions are made about what type of advertising is used to market a specific product
C. the extent to which the average consumer is actually obsessed with retaining a youthful appearance
D. the depth of personal disappointment and lack of individual fulfillment to be found in most American lives today
E. the processes by which most consumers actually make a decision to buy one product rather than a competing one

I found this one very confusing , any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 11:37
gameCode wrote:
Advertisers typically use associated images rather than rational argument to pitch a health-oriented or dietary product, working on the average person's insecurities about physical appeal and strengthening our society's growing obsession with youth. As a result, most consumers choose their health purchases on the basis of unconscious and false expectations. It is no wonder that so many Americans today feel disappointed with the reality of their lives and unfulfilled as human beings.

The reader's ability to assess the reasonableness of the writer's claim above would be significantly enhanced by knowledge of all the following EXCEPT:

A. the methods by which false expectations are raised and manipulated by advertising for health-oriented or dietary products
B. the ways in which decisions are made about what type of advertising is used to market a specific product
C. the extent to which the average consumer is actually obsessed with retaining a youthful appearance
D. the depth of personal disappointment and lack of individual fulfillment to be found in most American lives today
E. the processes by which most consumers actually make a decision to buy one product rather than a competing one

I found this one very confusing , any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I think B, because the way that marketing decisions are made doesnt matter.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 11:42
B as well
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 12:09
I am not sure but D for me .
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 12:51
Not sure, but E.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
This is a Crux EXCEPT question. So we need to eliminate ACs that strengthen the claim.

A. the methods by which false expectations are raised and manipulated by advertising for health-oriented or dietary products.

Strengthens: What if the methods are easily detectable by the average person? The whole argument would be weakened because an average consumer would be able to avoid the ploy.

B. the ways in which decisions are made about what type of advertising is used to market a specific product.

I chose this AC. Rationale: This is playing off the timing aspect. We don't care about how something gets to be the case. We just care that the average American (according to the stimulus) is superficial and that advertisers manipulate this fact.

Strengthens: Should the average consumer not be obsessed with retaining a superficial appearance the argument would be weakened.

Strengthens: MOST Americans are disappointed in their lives. To me, this means nothing. However, if I stated that MOST Americans are disappointed in their lives but their happiness outweighs this statement, the argument would be weakened as well.

Strengthens: What if there were a 3rd way consumers make a decision to buy something that outweighs the ones mentioned in the stimulus. Perhaps the ease of use for a product outweighs the rational argument and superficial aspects of a product?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 20:57
Another (B)

Kick GMAT ass

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 22:05
I choose D
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 23:44
B ?

"You have to find it. No one else can find it for you." - Bjorn Borg

Check out my GMAT blog - GMAT Tips and Strategies

Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 00:18
gameCode wrote:

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 06:25
Yes the answer is B . Thanks for the explanation. ( I had gone for E earlier ...)
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 07:17
gameCode wrote:
Yes the answer is B . Thanks for the explanation. ( I had gone for E earlier ...)

What is the source of this question?
Manager
Manager

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 07:57
I have lost track of that, ( i should maintain the habit of mentioning the source upfront ) but most probably its kaplan verbal quiz, since i haven't tried the club verbal from past few days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 10:26
Hi guys,

IMO: D

A the methods that are used are useful
B how people do the ads... useful for me
C somewhat, what people think...
E how people decided is useful coz it determines the ads

D for me, not useful

OA?

Cheers

gameCode wrote:

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 21:08
Definitely B. The wording of the question is deliberately difficult, but it boils down to a special type of Strengthen/Weaken question. It asks for information that would help us evaluate the argument -- that is, for a TYPE of information that would either strengthen or weaken the argument, depending on what exactly that information is. Of course, it is also an EXCEPT question, which means we are actually looking for the one answer which DOESN'T provide this kind of information.

As always, strengthening or weakening the argument is done by building or destroying a connection between evidence and conclusion. In this particular question, the evidence-to-conclusion chain is unusually complicated. It looks like this:

Evidence: Advertisers use images, not rational argument to sell health-oriented or dietary product.
AND: They work on people's insecurities about physical appeal.
AND: They strengthen our obsession with youth.

Therefore, intermediate conclusion: Most consumers choose their health purchases on the basis of unconscious and false expectations.

And therefore, final conclusion: Many Americans today feel disappointed with the reality of their lives and unfulfilled as human beings.

It is fairly easy to see that B is irrelevant to strengthening or weakening this chain of reasoning. How advertisers decide to advertise in a certain way does not matter, because the evidence already tells us what advertisers use to sell these kinds of products. As always in CR, we accept the evidence as true for the purpose of evaluating the argument.

What may be harder is seeing why all the others ARE relevant. A would help determine whether there really is any connection between the activities of advertisers (the three pieces of evidence) and the purported fact that consumers choose these products on the basis of false expectations. C would help determine whether there really is any connection between the advertisers' efforts to foment an obsession with youth (third piece of evidence) and the consumers who are used in the intermediate conclusion. D would indicate whether any of the evidence and the subsidiary conclusion have actually LED to the final conclusion. E would show whether the consumers' way of choosing products (intermediate conclusion) actually is based on the observations in the evidence or not.

Grumpy

Kaplan Canada LSAT/GMAT/GRE teacher and tutor

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Tricky one [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 18:04
very gud n strong grumpy................me too going for B...... :-D
Re: CR - Tricky one   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2008, 18:04