Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 2.97
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Re: Advertising [#permalink]
MBAs in advertising is becoming more common. While not a requirement, if you're able to speak the language of the businesses you're supporting, you can do very well. MBAs are becoming more common in Digital Advertising especially given the amount of heavy quantitative analysis you have to do and then turn those numbers into a marketing campaign. Feel free to PM me for more insight. I work in marketing/advertising and I'm currently on my way back to get my MBA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Kudos
i'm in advertising right now for a big global agency. while an MBA is necessary to get to the top, you don't need it to do well in the industry.

my work right now is pretty much post MBA level in advertising agencies...i had an offer on the table last month for a director role if i wanted to stay with the company instead of going to do my MBA next year and i turned it down. to be honest, the quality of people in advertising is weak compared to banks or consulting. i often find myself explaining the simplest of financial concepts to people here. simply put, nobody has any idea of business or P/L unless they are Group Account Director/VP or above.

to me, advertising is almost like a big imbred family sometimes. once you get your foot in the door, you'll be able to move around anywhere in the industry and get good jobs. people are constantly getting promoted and the turn over is crazy. also, just a note of caution, MBA's are not necessarily valued here unless you already have previous industry experience. case in point - we have interns from MBA's (of course not the best programs, but still...) that are starting at the bottom of the ladder along with other interns from community colleges (no joke).

i think our company is actually in the midst of a major overhaul in North America to change senior account management roles to hire more MBA's, because the other ppl we hire can't run a company for squat and really don't bring much value for the 6 figure salaries they collect.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
on the flip side, dollar for dollar vs. the big banks, the life style here is great.

with an MBA, you'll make 6 figures and can come into work at 10. it's a very comfortable life in the long run. if you want a good life with good money and not a lot of financial worries or stress from work, advertising is the way to go.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Very true. A lot more flexibility.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
DrSatisfaction wrote:
on the flip side, dollar for dollar vs. the big banks, the life style here is great.

with an MBA, you'll make 6 figures and can come into work at 10. it's a very comfortable life in the long run. if you want a good life with good money and not a lot of financial worries or stress from work, advertising is the way to go.

I dont know where you work but I have a bunch of friends in family at large agencies think publicis and wpp ones. My brother is an executive at a global ad agency and works a ton of hours. He may go in late some days but stays late every night, even when he was lower lever he worked a lot of hours. My wife works for one of the worlds largest agencies and works more reasonable hours but still has days where she isn't home until midnight or has to be in at 7am. If you are in something like planning (one of the places an MBA would be helpful) then the hours can be demanding.

Don't plan on going into creative with an MBA unless you did that in the past. I have a friend who is former GC guy looking to get into advertising and it sounds like tons of networking and finding your own fit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
 Q44  V49
Send PM
yeah i'm at a big wpp agency. quick question, is your brother an account executive? or "executive" as in like SVP/EVP type? account executives have harder hours. it doesn't get easier until account director or higher. i'm lucky to be in a position where although my title is only "finance manager", i'm actually lateral to account directors in pay and function cuz i work directly with VP's on various businesses. and i mean, even when you get higher, there's still work to be done...just not the mundane stuff on a day to day basis and much more management/leadership focused with higher level of responsibilities.

there are definitely days when deadlines hit and you're in the office early/late, but i think overall the lifestyle is still much better than big banks. for instance, i'm sick as a dog today but i'm still in bed at home working my ass off cuz i got a big monthly client call tmrw and a quarterly business review with the most senior clients in canada on friday. i also had to work on sunday this week cuz of some random monday morning deadlines that showed up in my inbox on saturday. but on the other hand, there are slow days when i'm in at 10 and off at 4 to beat the traffic home. i just think the overall culture at agencies are much less cut throat than banks, and the hours are both easier and more flexible, and the people are a lot nicer.

agree on the creative front. nobody gets in from an MBA. everyone there went to some art school/community college or whatever it seems.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts