Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advertising that one of its many attractions has been the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.8
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Advertising that one of its many attractions has been the [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 02:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (01:44) correct 57% (01:02) wrong based on 100 sessions
Advertising that one of its many attractions has been the recent growth in per capita income among its citizens, Town A pursued its campaign to draw new businesses to the area.

A. its many attractions has been the recent
B. its many attractions had been the recent
C. its many attractions was the recent
D. their many attractions has been the recent
E. their many attractions had been the recent
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 02:25
+1 (B)
pursued...had been- the proper match

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 5

Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kapilhede17 wrote:
Advertising that one of its many attractions has been the recent growth in per capita income among its citizens, Town A pursued its campaign to draw new businesses to the area.

This problem hinges on pronouns and verb tenses. "Their" is not the correct pronoun for "Town A", so D/E are eliminated. A/B/C each have different tenses: has been (present perfect), had been (past perfect), and was (simple past). In this case, the sentence is showing a sequence of past events - the growth of income followed by the campaign. The purpose of the past perfect tense is to create a time distinction between 2 events both taking place in the past with the earlier event using the past perfect tense and the later event using the simple past. The sentence has the simple past with "pursued", so the earlier event needs to be described with the past perfect, "had been". Correct answer B.

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 284 [1] , given: 5

Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kapilhede17 wrote:

This problem hinges on pronouns and verb tenses. "Their" is not the correct pronoun for "Town A", so D/E are eliminated. A/B/C each have different tenses: has been (present perfect), had been (past perfect), and was (simple past). In this case, the sentence is showing a sequence of past events - the growth of income followed by the campaign. The purpose of the past perfect tense is to create a time distinction between 2 events both taking place in the past with the earlier event using the past perfect tense and the later event using the simple past. The sentence has the simple past with "pursued", so the earlier event needs to be described with the past perfect, "had been". Correct answer B.

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 02:46
I do not get why C is not the answer. I do not see timing issue here
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 03:38
samatace wrote:

I also vote for C. Let's see what has been the content of the advertisement at the time it has been on air. Two contents are possible:
1. one of our many attractions IS the recent growth in per capita income among our citizens.
2. one of our many attractions HAS BEEN the recent growth in per capita income among our citizens.

If "1" has been the content, then C is the correct answer.
If "2" has been the content, then B is the correct answer.
My feeling is that "1" has been the content, so C is the correct answer.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 09:37
aligol wrote:
samatace wrote:

I also vote for C. Let's see what has been the content of the advertisement at the time it has been on air. Two contents are possible:
1. one of our many attractions IS the recent growth in per capita income among our citizens.
2. one of our many attractions HAS BEEN the recent growth in per capita income among our citizens.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think I got it now. The use of "Recent" is usally used with perfect tenses. For that reason, only B suits. That is the only takeway, i could infer, yet nobody mentions this fact. Any thoughts experts??? I am not a native speaker so elaboration on this point would be higly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2012, 10:17
Expert's post
samatace wrote:
aligol wrote:
samatace wrote:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, I think I got it now. The use of "Recent" is usally used with perfect tenses. For that reason, only B suits. That is the only takeway, i could infer, yet nobody mentions this fact. Any thoughts experts??? I am not a native speaker so elaboration on this point would be higly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Recent is usually used with the past perfect, good spotting!

Remember, the past perfect tense is used to indicate actions that were already complete or had already happened at a specific point in the past.

Past Perfect ---------- Time being Discussed ----------------- Now ------Future

A "recent" event is one in the recent past, but one in the past--"recent" growth had already been completed, and was already an attractive feature of Town A, at the time time of the advertising campaign. So, the "had been" tense is correct.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Town A pursued its campaign - Kaplan Diagnostic   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2012, 10:17