Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Advice [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 15:47
Scott and team,

Thanks for the help you provide in this forum.

I wanted to get your advice on whether or not I should retake the GMAT and your general view on my profile. Please see overview below:

I just took my test this past week and scored a 680 (48Q / 82%, 35V / 73%). I was disappointed with the score as I scored up to 700 and 760 in the 2 official GMAT prep CATs. The official quant score was higher than any other previous quant score I had during my prep (usually scored in the 60th percentile during practice CATs), however, the verbal score was lower than any other previous verbal score I had during my prep (usually scored in the 80-90th percentiles during practice CATs).

I am applying to Stanford and HBS during Round 2 of this year. All else being equal, I am debating whether retaking the test, conservatively assuming a higher score of 700-710, will make a significant difference in my application.

Questions in my mind:

1. Is it worth retaking the test? Should time and efforts be focused on the rest of the application instead?
2. Will adcomm’s assign any value to an improvement of 680 to 700-720 area?
3. Will adcomm’s negatively view the GMAT retake since 680 is already within the 80% range of the school’s scores?
4. Risk and impact of overall lower score and lower quant score during the retake given the usual emphasis on quant scores and 31-day waiting period until the retake
5. Do I apply with my current score and, if it doesn’t go well this year, retake the GMAT and reapply next year?
6. General view on my candidacy

Other background info:
Male
Mexican
Married
26 years old at matriculation
UG: 3.70 (SCL), Business Admin major
EC: club sports, worked throughout undergrad career
WE: 1) BB IB for 2.5 years, 2) Strategy at Fortune 500 for 1 year

Many thanks in advance for your help and time!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 05:28
1. Is it worth retaking the test? Should time and efforts be focused on the rest of the application instead? If you think you have a good chance of scoring in the 700+ range and can clearly identify a plan to achieve it then retake the test. However, only do it if you can still make the R2 deadlines with a strong application package. If retaking the test will push you into R3 then it is not worth it.

2. Will adcomm’s assign any value to an improvement of 680 to 700-720 area? Yes, adcomm's consider your highest score when reviewing you application.

3. Will adcomm’s negatively view the GMAT retake since 680 is already within the 80% range of the school’s scores? No, retaking the GMAT is generally only viewed negatively if you take the test more than 3x.

4. Risk and impact of overall lower score and lower quant score during the retake given the usual emphasis on quant scores and 31-day waiting period until the retake. Your highest overall score will be considered.

5. Do I apply with my current score and, if it doesn’t go well this year, retake the GMAT and reapply next year? If retaking the test is going to impact the quality of your application by taking too much time away from essay writing, interview prep, etc. then go with your current score.

6. General view on my candidacy. Overall, your profile is solid. Try to differentiate yourself from other candidates by discussing any unique skills, interests, or experiences your may have.

Scottie
Veritas Prep | Admissions Consultant

Save 10% on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 25

Re: Advice [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 08:13
Thanks, Scottie, much appreciated.