Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

advice? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2004, 14:03
hey i am thinking about applying for bschool in a few years and would like to maximize my chances of getting into a top 15 program. I am providing information about myself in the hopes you would provide me with some advice/thoughts on my chances of admittance to these schools:

about me:

us citizen.
GMAT: 710 M44 V42
GPA: 3.5 George Washington Univ. Dec 2002 (early)
(Major: International Affairs, Int'l Econ concentration, honors program)
JOB: will be starting in two weeks at the US Dept of Commerce as an Import Policy Analyst. Previous experience is an issue will explain later...
OTHER: Eagle Scout
Certified Personal Trainer
Member of community group and on econ committee for mainstreet initiative.

I am thinking of applying for 2007--maybe. Before this job I have held several extended temporary positions as i was in a touring band and my focus was on that aspect of mylife. I intend to explain this is my optional essays. I hope to put in a few years at the new job to mitigate some of the concerns with that.

I am looking to apply to the following schools...

Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Michigan.

What are my chances of admittance to these? Are there things that I can do in the next few years to increase those chances?

your advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: advice? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2004, 17:29
Expert's post
ice t wrote:
hey i am thinking about applying for bschool in a few years and would like to maximize my chances of getting into a top 15 program. I am providing information about myself in the hopes you would provide me with some advice/thoughts on my chances of admittance to these schools:

about me:

us citizen.
GMAT: 710 M44 V42
GPA: 3.5 George Washington Univ. Dec 2002 (early)
(Major: International Affairs, Int'l Econ concentration, honors program)
JOB: will be starting in two weeks at the US Dept of Commerce as an Import Policy Analyst. Previous experience is an issue will explain later...
OTHER: Eagle Scout
Certified Personal Trainer
Member of community group and on econ committee for mainstreet initiative.

I am thinking of applying for 2007--maybe. Before this job I have held several extended temporary positions as i was in a touring band and my focus was on that aspect of mylife. I intend to explain this is my optional essays. I hope to put in a few years at the new job to mitigate some of the concerns with that.

I am looking to apply to the following schools...

Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, Columbia, Michigan.

What are my chances of admittance to these? Are there things that I can do in the next few years to increase those chances?

your advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

First of all, dont' apologize for spending a couple of years in a band. Turn it into a plus, a learning experience, which I am sure it was. As long as you have competitive, b-school preparatory experience, your two years in a band won't hurt you at all.

You may also want to consider applying next fall for Fall 2006. See how things are going at your job. If you like it and are growing, then wait an additional year. If it's getting a little dull, then try you luck next year.

What you can do? My ebook, "Best Practices for 2005 MBA Admissions" explores what applicants can do to improve their chances when they plan ahead. It's 52 pages, so I can't give you the whole book here, but I can provide a few tips:

1) Clarify your post-MBA goal
2) Make sure you have a record of community service, which it looks like you do have.
3) Research the schools and visit if possible.
4) If you aren't confident about your caluculus and statistics skills, (re)take those classes.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2004, 07:27
thanks for your response, you are right i must turn that into a plus for my applications. i will think about applying sooner, though i want to make sure to put the best foot forward.

one more question for you---any good sources for aid in clarifying post-mba goals? i know this is a major issue for me going in to applications.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2004, 13:32
Expert's post
ice t wrote:
thanks for your response, you are right i must turn that into a plus for my applications. i will think about applying sooner, though i want to make sure to put the best foot forward.

one more question for you---any good sources for aid in clarifying post-mba goals? i know this is a major issue for me going in to applications.

There are suggestions in the ebook I recommended, but determining goals really requires introspection. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Think about what you like and dislike in your current or recent jobs. What positions will give you more of what you like and less of what you dislike.
2) Do the same inventory for extra-curricular activities.
3) What are you good at?
4) Where have you really achieved?
Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2004, 07:06
thanks, i will keep those in mind.

one more i promise...

i havent taken calculus since high school. but i did take two low level stat courses in college and did well.

will it look better if i take these before i go--esp considering the relatively low quant score? or just retake calculus? i have the time and my work will pay for it.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2004, 13:19
Expert's post
ice t wrote:
thanks, i will keep those in mind.

one more i promise...

i havent taken calculus since high school. but i did take two low level stat courses in college and did well.

will it look better if i take these before i go--esp considering the relatively low quant score? or just retake calculus? i have the time and my work will pay for it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "take these," since you already took them. I do recommend that you retake calculus if your quant background is weak. Doing so will help you from an admissions perspective and when you start your MBA program.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553