Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 22:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for a 25 yo Undergrad on H/S/W

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice for a 25 yo Undergrad on H/S/W [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 07:39
I am a slightly older undergrad interested in pursuing an MBA, and was wondering if you could give some insight into my chances at H/S/W. I am in my mid-twenties, have taken a rather unusual path to get to where I am today, and am wondering how much (if at all) it would hurt my chances at the top three schools. I am also wondering what time would be best for me to apply - right out of undergrad or after a few years.

A little backstory: I graduated high school in 2005, and pursued a liberal arts degree for ~3 years. My GPA from this time was about 3.55, and I was enrolled in the University's honors program. During this time I helped to found a social issues student group that has thrived at my school for five years now, though I am no longer affiliated with it. Unhappy with my direction in the liberal arts, I took an extended leave of absence for about two years. During this time I worked as an owner-employee of a cooperative restaurant, as well as some other service industry jobs - nothing that would show particular leadership. After figuring out what made me tick and what I was good at, I returned to the same university as before, this time to pursue a degree in Electrical Engineering.

At present, I am a junior in my mid-twenties with two more years of school to go. My GPA in my current major is 3.8, and I am very near the top of my class at a university in the top 25 in engineering. I plan on graduating Summa Cum Laude and writing an Honors thesis. As far as extracurriculars go, I am in charge of fundraising for a student group that is designing and implementing a clean water project in Central America. I also have been working for nearly a year as an undergraduate research assistant, and am second author on two publications, one of which one an award for best paper in its venue.

As you can probably tell, I am more or less being groomed to go into research. And while I'm good at it, I really would like to open up my career to strategic management in the high tech industry. I still have a while before I graduate, but am seriously considering an MBA from a top school rather than taking the PhD route.

I have practiced the GMAT, and I think I should be able to get 730/740 at the very least.

Do you think I stand a chance? Also, should I apply to matriculate right out of graduation (I will be 28 then) or hold off and gain some work experience for a year or two but be an even older applicant? I plan on applying to internships at top tech firms next year (Google, etc) to add a little to my work history.
Thanks for your input!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for a 25 yo Undergrad on H/S/W [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 09:32
Expert's post
Hello,

Definitely a unique background. I would say some work experience would really help though -- especially if you can get a full time position at a top high tech company. Even though you'll be a bit older at that point, you'd at least have some strong professional experience to show. Without that, even though you've done very well academically, I don't think you have enough breadth or depth of leadership experience to give you a good chance.

Good luck!
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download [url=http:// http://info.mbamission.com/MBA-Personal-Statement-Guide/]mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide[/url]

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Advice for a 25 yo Undergrad on H/S/W [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 10:59
That makes sense. Thank you so much for your advice!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for a 25 yo Undergrad on H/S/W [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 18:55
Expert's post
No problem - good luck!