Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for admission to Ph.D. Marketing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 07:10
Hi Soulutions,

Nice to see you back. Great that you are through with the Applications. I am struggling with it.

You think my SOP is ok...I thought I could have done better with my research interests.

I am applying to Utah, Iowa, Penn State, Texas A&M, texas Tech, South Carolina, Cincinnati. My top bet being Penn State. What do you think?
GMAT -700, TOEFL 280.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 07:31
Promothesh-

From what I know of your profile, I think you are going to be a very competitive candidate for all of those schools. Out of curiosity, why did you choose to apply to this particular set of schools?

I thought your SOP did a fine job covering your research interests. I often wonder how specific an adcom expects us to be with regard to research interests. Although I have a general idea of what I would like to study, I imagine those interests will evolve as I begin a more rigorous study of marketing.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2005, 23:30
Hi

I agree with you fully about ad comm's expectation regarding research interests. I think it varies from school to school.

As far as the selection of schools go, here is the reason for them :
1) Iowa - I have some friends pursuing Ph.D., so I know about their program and research.
2) Utah was primarily for Prof. Russell Belk.
3) South Carolina again I have a friend.
4) Cincinnati for Prof Kardes and Kellaris and their research
5) Texas Tech for a very intersting research on relationship marketing and because in my correspondence with prof. wilcox I seem to have good chances.
6) Penn State and Texas A&M were top in my list for reputation and research. Penn State had many good researchers, off hand I remember Prof Baumgartner.

I think it selection was result of research interests and the schools where it seemed like giving me some chances.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2005, 00:19
Finally through with the applications. I thought I would breathe a sigh of relief, instead I am apprehensive about the results and strangely missing the work of application( I guess something like the Stockholm Syndrome :) .....). The question I have for the forum is what next while waiting?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2005, 07:25
Congrats on completing your applications :!: I agree that after spending so long working on and stressing over them, I'm not entirely sure what to do. I suppose you could take up a hobby.

I can't believe how slowly time is creeping along. From what I've observed in the past, some schools will begin to release information toward the end of February. Most schools however will wait until mid-late march.

At this point, I don't care what the result is; I just want to know something.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2005, 20:59
Hi,
I am Somak. Willing to join PhD in Quantitative Marketing. I am a B.Tech from IIT, MS from GWU (both in Computer Engg). Currently working with IBM Global, after a year with PwC, both places a consultant in IT field (SAP conultant). Willing to take GMAT on September.
Mathematics was always my fav. After clearing the Regional Mats Olympiad I appeared for National Maths Olympiad (couldn't go for the Intl one though) and also secured a chance in Indian Statistical Institue. Hence my choice for Quantitative Marketing.
Can you guys please help me out by providing names of nearabout 10 schools worth applying for Quantitative Marketing, I mean from very good to moderate to ok types (sure-shot-admission ones). The list might go beyond 50 ranking, not a problem.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance. Sameer, Anupag, anuanand, solutions, BB and otehrs .... please advise!!!
  [#permalink] 18 Jun 2005, 20:59