Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 4

Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
do a search on columbia ED - theres already a discussion on what people have done.

long story short though - most people do not recommend violating the ED agreement. regardless of the consequence, its bad karma :)

My profile

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
chostein wrote:
Hello:

Given all the wait and anxiety for Class of 2012, the timing of this post may not be right, but does anybody know when application for Class of 2013 gets launched? If so, how do you find out? (Some schools have "blogs" but some seem to give me a run-around). I wanna start on essays, and while I am pretty sure that the topics won't change dramatically, I don't wanna spend God-knows-how-many-hours and see it getting shift+del.

Also, just out of curiosity, has anyone who got accepted to Columbia ED "violated" their honor code and enrolled at other MBA? Is there any serious consequence?

If you already know your school list and have taken the GMAT, I would recommend starting with the one school that has the most common set of essays. While you will probably dump those writings - that's not necessarily a bad thing. You will do it one way or another, and having a head start in your introspection will help you with the real essays. Most programs show their new questions in July. I know my first app appeared brilliant, until I finished my second application set. Then I was ready to redo the first one (only didn't get the chance). Your first applications will be always be the worst, second will be better, third may be your best, etc. So might as well get your first ones done (for the learning experience) so when essays come out for Round 1, you will have better essays that you would have otherwise. Just my 2c.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:18
Check out this thread: advice-for-class-of-2013-applicants-84157.html

I'm also applying this coming summer/fall for the class of 2013. Thanks MBAgirl2010, that's good advice. Since my GMAT and school list are out of the way, I'm going to start drafting some 'mock' essays in the coming weeks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:34
Thanks guys.

mba2013: I am sensing an ominous tone in your post. Bad karma, it is. :-D but would HBS or Wharton deserve such karma? only time will tell.

While GMAT is not done yet, my list is done. I was thinking first round for all (= less competition?), but many say that their 3rd or 2nd rd app looks better than their 1st. My question is.. looks better in which aspect? essays? I mean, can it get better that much?
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 10:48
chostein wrote:
Thanks guys.

mba2013: I am sensing an ominous tone in your post. Bad karma, it is. :-D but would HBS or Wharton deserve such karma? only time will tell.

While GMAT is not done yet, my list is done. I was thinking first round for all (= less competition?), but many say that their 3rd or 2nd rd app looks better than their 1st. My question is.. looks better in which aspect? essays? I mean, can it get better that much?

Haha, yes, it will. Unless you get a good head start, perhaps even if you do, after you've submitted all your apps, you'll look back at your first while waiting for your IV call and very likely cringe with embarrassment. You'll look at your last, though, and say, "This isn't half bad. I'd admit me."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 11:00
chostein wrote:
Thanks guys.

i'll find out around the same time you do, since i'll be applying mostly round 1's too. my top choice is columbia, and since i plan to apply columbia ED it'll probably be my first app, and thus possibly my worst! :( so i'm struggling with this issue as well.

i think its fair to apply ED to multiple schools as long as once you hear a decision from 1 of them you immediately withdraw apps (as in before a decision is rendered on the other ED schools). that way you don't violate any agreement - unless they have some clause that says you can only apply to 1 ED school at a time.

My profile

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Apps for Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 13:13
mba2013 wrote:
chostein wrote:
Thanks guys.

i'll find out around the same time you do, since i'll be applying mostly round 1's too. my top choice is columbia, and since i plan to apply columbia ED it'll probably be my first app, and thus possibly my worst! :( so i'm struggling with this issue as well.

i think its fair to apply ED to multiple schools as long as once you hear a decision from 1 of them you immediately withdraw apps (as in before a decision is rendered on the other ED schools). that way you don't violate any agreement - unless they have some clause that says you can only apply to 1 ED school at a time.

early decision is not something that's too common among the top schools. in fact, i think only Duke and Columbia have this in place

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 16:31
yeah those are the only two i'm aware of as well that have "binding" early decision.

i'll be applying to both, i think, so i'll have to juggle which one i aim for in the ED round.

My profile

Current Student
Schools: Duke
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 22:04
With the GMAT out of the way, I am a full 2.5hours into my essays. I have started just jotting down some stuff for one of the universal "Why MBA" questions.

So far my first thoughts are as organized as my girlfriend's shoe closet.......

It's early on, but I am already starting to see why people say the GMAT was only the beginning
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 21:32
Add me to the list of class of 2013 hopefuls! I've already taken the GMAT, but I will probably put essays on hold until after CFA LIII in June. That still gives me at least 4 solid months to polish them. I've visited Kellogg and Booth, and I'm taking a trip out to NYC for the #140conf conference and to visit CBS and Stern in April. So that checks off GMAT, picking schools, and visiting them! In the meantime I'm going to do everything I can to beef up my profile.

Are any of you guys planning on using admissions consultants? Opinions?

Last edited by Moss on 21 Jul 2010, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 16:19
i have 'some' faith in the system. if i'm applying ED b/c i think i have a better chance at getting in that way, then i have to think that i won't back out of it if i get accepted. if i thought that alot of people could/would back out, then why would i apply? :) probably some circular logic in there..

My profile

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:04
Is anyone visiting campuses in the spring? I thought I'd get a head start and visit my three top schools in April. I'm guessing class visits are off in the summer.

My profile
My GMAT experience

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:10
I'm visiting 3 of the schools I'm interested in in the next 3 weeks. Wanted to get a head start and get that step out of the way this spring.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 09:35
Moss wrote:
Are any of you guys planning on using admissions consultants? Opinions?

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone is planning on using admissions consultants for all or part of the process. Are they worth the $$?
Manager
Manager

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 16:44
considering it.

planning to wait until june/july before getting involved in any serious discussions abt hiring one. I did talk to one though and was very impressed by their offering. very realistic (as in, no guarantee to harvard) but at least someone who can make sure i am putting my best effort into the apps and keeping me from losing focus. having someone to keep me on track on schedule would probably be worth it for that alone.

My profile

Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 06:42
Sign me up for Class of 2013 ! Looking forward to a lively thread as things wind down with the 2012 applications. I visited a bunch of my initial school choices last summer, and the visit really helped to put the schools in perspective and cross a bunch off the list. Working on my generic goals/failure/etc essays at the moment.

Profile:

profile-eval-fall-2011-intake-91295.html
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 14:06
I visited a couple already and have a couple more scheduled for April. Started brainstorming for essays.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2010, 20:47
Like mba2013, I want to have a go at the essays myself before considering hiring admissions consultants. My wife, a few select friends (one of who is in Ross) and a colleague in marketing will be the bulk of my reviewers. If we start early, we also have more time to perform several iterations of the essays. Are you folks starting with the Kellogg essays from last year?

My profile
My GMAT experience

Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard,Stanford, MIT
WE 1: Portfolio manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 06:47
I had a question: is there a maximum number of times that you can apply to a b-school? i was told by someone that you can apply to Harvard a maximum of three times in your academic career. Is it true? And how do top b-school look at re-applicants? Also, is it really advisable to reapply after just one year? I've read that most people are rejected because of low work experience. How true is this? And of course, as can be seen from my username, I am targeting a certain school:)
Manager
Manager

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2010, 06:49
bump.

so southparker was a troll?

anyways, what is the class of 2013 planning to do this summer before apps start? GMAT, retake GMAT, classes, work, volunteer? just curious to see how we all plan on spending the next few months :)

My profile

Re: Advice for Class of 2013 Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2010, 06:49