Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 07:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for coworker

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Advice for coworker [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 09:01
Hi Linda,

I have a coworker who is rushing headlong into MBA app process at top-tier schools without much study and forethought. He is trying to make tight deadlines and is taking his GMAT sooner than he has to. Based on our interaction and also on his approach (not knowing deadlines, not understanding the process), I know that he has not given the MBA the careful thought and introspection that I think it requires. I get the impression that he's looking for an out to his current situation much more than he is looking for an in to a focused career track.

Any advice on what to tell him? If he does not get in with his scattershot approach, is he digging himself a large hole in the reapplication process? What have you seen in terms of success of such applicants? I will not say anything unless he brings it up - I'm not dumb enough to sprinkle unsolicited advice of this nature. I do think it is very likely he will bring this situation up.

I am also applying, and I have pondered for years on doing an MBA. Frankly, his approach is truly annoying, and I seriously question his judgment and hence suitability for a top MBA based on his approach. I think he otherwise has a very good chance of getting in if he is patient and reflects more about the MBA app process and the MBA as a whole.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for coworker [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 14:28
Expert's post
nj_for_mba wrote:
Hi Linda,

I have a coworker who is rushing headlong into MBA app process at top-tier schools without much study and forethought. He is trying to make tight deadlines and is taking his GMAT sooner than he has to. Based on our interaction and also on his approach (not knowing deadlines, not understanding the process), I know that he has not given the MBA the careful thought and introspection that I think it requires. I get the impression that he's looking for an out to his current situation much more than he is looking for an in to a focused career track.

Any advice on what to tell him? If he does not get in with his scattershot approach, is he digging himself a large hole in the reapplication process? What have you seen in terms of success of such applicants? I will not say anything unless he brings it up - I'm not dumb enough to sprinkle unsolicited advice of this nature. I do think it is very likely he will bring this situation up.

I am also applying, and I have pondered for years on doing an MBA. Frankly, his approach is truly annoying, and I seriously question his judgment and hence suitability for a top MBA based on his approach. I think he otherwise has a very good chance of getting in if he is patient and reflects more about the MBA app process and the MBA as a whole.

You're preaching to the converted.

Without commenting specifically on your friend, I can tell you that [url=http://accepted.typepad.com/admissions_almanac/2005/04/goals_in_mba_ad.htmlgoals [/url]are as much a requirement for MBA admissions as a good GMAT. In fact the [url=http://www.collegejournal.com/mbacenter/mbatrack/20060110-alsop.html]CollegeJournal had an article[/url] yesterday about intensive internship recruiting which is actually putting pressure on MBA students who don't know what they want. Those with clear goals are at a distinct advantage when it comes to taking advantage of the hot job market.

In terms of how to advise your friend, you may want to refer him to the articles that I have linked to. He may also benefit from:

[url=http://axechick.blogspot.com/2005/06/i-told-you-so.html"I told you so."[/url]
How Many Times Can I Tell the Same Story
Researching Your Goals and Fit for the School

If your friend really is as scattered about his applications as you believe, then he would be better off getting his act together and applying next fall. You need to know where you are going as well as where you are coming from.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 14:52
Good links. Thanks for the insightful feedback.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2006, 14:39
Expert's post
nj_for_mba wrote:
Good links. Thanks for the insightful feedback.

You're welcome. Sorry the links are a little messed up, but I hope you can make them out.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog