Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 07:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Advice for getting into m7

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Advice for getting into m7 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 19:12
Hi Everyone,

I just started a job as a sell-side equity research associate covering oil & gas stocks for a decently well known middle market investment bank. I plan on applying for a top mba in 3-4 years and hope to gain admission to Columbia/MIT/Booth/Tuck. The firm I currently work for seems to have decent mba placement, but nothing too special. In the past few years, ER associates have gone to Yale, Cornell, Duke, Booth, and NYU. I have an undergrad chemical engineering degree from a state school and an ms finance from a top 15 school. My end goal is private equity. Despite not having a banking background, I feel that can leverage my chemE and research background to land a gig (pre-mba) at a mm PE firm specializing in oil & gas. I already took the gmat and got a 720 (Q49, 40V), but will prob retake for a 740-770. I'll probably apply to Columbia early decision. Given my background, what else can I do in the next 3-4 years to maximize my chances? Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 1

Re: Advice for getting into m7 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 14:34
Expert's post
Hey there,

The one thing I'm noticing a lack of in your post is references to extracurriculars. Your academics and GMAT are great (if you want to try for a higher score, go for it, but a 720 is great). From a work perspective, if you are successful in finding that PE firm job, then make sure you really look for leadership opportunities. But to round your application, you'll need extracurriculars. And by that I don't mean you volunteer at a soup kitchen once a week. It has to drive impact and tell a cohesive story. Schools like Columbia really value social and civic responsibility and you should find something you're passionate about.

The other thing to keep in mind at a high level is how are you going to stand out? Extracurriculars are one way, but the story needs to pop. IB to PE to MBA is a strong pedigree story but what's going to make them interested in YOU specifically? Perhaps it's really pursuing a hobby or perhaps it comes down to giving back. Whatever it is, schools like Columbia, Booth, MIT, Tuck, etc. get tons of applications from people just like you all the time. So find one or two things that you can really pursue for the next few years and have that build up your application's identity.

if you have any questions or want to chat about this in detail - don't hesitate to reach out!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: Advice for getting into m7 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 18:25
How old will you be when you apply?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Advice for getting into m7 [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2013, 16:45
Thanks for the response CriticalSquareMBA, I will definitely try to do something special outside of work.
@dave785 - I'll be 27-28 with 3-4 yrs of work exp when I apply. I'm currently 24 and just started my ER job.
Re: Advice for getting into m7   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2013, 16:45